PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Press Colors

beeser
08-03-2015, 03:11 PM
Most of the press manufacturers seem to stick with the following colors.

Red - Lee
Orange - Lyman
Blue - Dillon
Green - RCBS
Black - most of the vintage stuff; Hollywood, Texan, etc.
Gold - Spolar

I'm thinking of sprucing up one of my Hollywood Universals with either lime green or purple. It would definitely add some pizzaz to an otherwise dull press. How much would it increase in value?

richhodg66
08-03-2015, 03:41 PM
I have an old Herters Super Model 9 press, only one I've ever seen and darn few pictures of them on the web. It's a copy of the old Dunbar press. After I got all the crud and rust off it, it turns out the big cast iron base was brown. I'd like it to look original, so I'll probably do that when I get around to it.

Honestly, if the press you're using is current production, I think its value is determined by how good a tool it is, therefore, paint it whatever you like.

Nueces
08-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Paint it rainbow and highlight it with mascara.

beeser
08-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Paint it rainbow and highlight it with mascara.

You're reading my mind. What color to highlight the letters if the base is lime green?

MT Chambers
08-03-2015, 06:01 PM
The Forster Co-ax is red, but a dif. color from Lee, very different.

N4AUD
08-03-2015, 06:26 PM
My Pacific 07 (Hornady) is red as well.

Hawks Feather
08-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Paint it whatever color you like. Just remember to post a picture when you get it done.

3006guns
08-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Paint it whatever color you like. Just remember to post a picture when you get it done.

..........and be prepared for the comments that follow. You can always defend your choice of color schemes by explaining that, after all, it IS a "Hollywood" press. :)

EDIT: Someone please tell me he's kidding, right? Right?

dragon813gt
08-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Older Lyman equipment is gray. Seems they all used a crinkle finish back then as well. I hate those finishes because they don't hold up.

Paint it whatever color you want. But expect it's value to drop some. Unless it has it's original patina the collectors won't want it. Now someone who wants to use it will.

Two of my lubesizers have had the original finish removed. I painted the one on the left, I prefer this color. While the one on the right was refinished by a member before I bought it. It's coming off in a lot of places and needs to be redone. But I do like two different colors because I know exactly which lube is in them :)
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/BC5B5A3B-9299-493D-A699-001D7D1297C9.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/BC5B5A3B-9299-493D-A699-001D7D1297C9.jpg.html)

Artful
08-03-2015, 11:00 PM
You want colorful - can you handle colorful - Flame job! Yeah
http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/32/01/63475332502317/0/draw-56-chevy-truck-with-flame-paint-job.1280x600.jpg
http://www.kustomrama.com/images/5/59/Howard-gribble-1956-ford-profile.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/57/b3/95/57b395ff69c180c5f2a4ee6166f13d53.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/e2/e1/2d/e2e12d4f9a2489bcb626a97353c898ba.jpg
http://images.decodan.com/2010/5/sample5.jpg

maybe something a little more daring
http://un-amore.com/sg_home_media/pic/images/2.jpg

jmorris
08-04-2015, 09:01 AM
I'm thinking of sprucing up one of my Hollywood Universals with either lime green or purple. It would definitely add some pizzaz to an otherwise dull press. How much would it increase in value?

The same amount a rifles value would go up with the same paint job.

beeser
08-04-2015, 09:18 AM
The same amount a rifles value would go up with the same paint job.

I think you're missing the point. All of the current press manufacturers, even some of those of late have an identifying color. My thought is too bring pizzas to an otherwise dull looking machine that had no identifying color other than crinkly black paint. Besides, the crinkly black paint on the cast aluminum Hollywood presses wasn't very good and flaked even with moderate use. I think this would be ideal for my makeover.

bhn22
08-04-2015, 07:45 PM
It can be whatever you want it to be. I wouldn't expect such an alteration to appeal to a collector, and that would likely be your primary market to sell such an item to. Few people would buy an obsolete thirty year old press because of the new color. It's your press, paint it however you want.

Green Frog
08-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Over the last century plus, Lyman took over Ideal, with its black color scheme and went through a couple of shades of orange, they also had grey before going back to orange and even made a couple of presses (the All American and Comet) in a sort of sickly shade of red I guess you could paint any press about any color you want, if you want, but why paint it when you can be using it to load a bunch of neat ammo?

Froggie

MUSTANG
08-04-2015, 08:56 PM
I think you're missing the point. All of the current press manufacturers, even some of those of late have an identifying color. My thought is too bring pizzas to an otherwise dull looking machine that had no identifying color other than crinkly black paint. Besides, the crinkly black paint on the cast aluminum Hollywood presses wasn't very good and flaked even with moderate use. I think this would be ideal for my makeover.

Are you looking for Peperoni, Sausage, or plain cheese Pizzas?

Personally, I would forgo trying for the Pizazz of updated coloring, and restore it to original finish.

country gent
08-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Heres the one issue that hasnt been mentioned yet but while each manufacturer has an "identifying color shade" these shades also change slightly over the years as new batches of paint are purchased. SOme of these colors are thought out as to reducing eye strain and fatigue others are just what they are. Greys and greens reduce eye strain alot. Also they are crinkle finished or flat to reduce glare. Think some before jumping in with a bright shiny finish about the hours spent using it. Ran an ID grinder that painters had painted a very bright red and silver after its overhaul. 2 hours into the day on it and I had a headache the flat colors and crinkles in grey or green tones never caused the headaches, ( only the bosses did then) but that machine was rough. I would primer and light sand several coats then a nice flat color or crinkle in basically the original shade.

Kevin Rohrer
08-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Most of the press manufacturers seem to stick with the following colors.

Red - Lee
Orange - Lyman
Blue - Dillon
Green - RCBS
Black - most of the vintage stuff; Hollywood, Texan, etc.
Gold - Spolar

It would DECREASE in value and look hideous.

Alvarez Kelly
08-05-2015, 05:17 PM
It would DECREASE in value and look hideous.

This...

Hardcast416taylor
08-06-2015, 12:10 PM
I added to the color scheme of all my presses and lubers with solid colored pool table balls on their op handles. Of course green for RCBS, red for Hornady and orange for the Lyman lubers.Robert

Dframe
08-06-2015, 12:24 PM
The value of used reloading equipment seems to be quite low. I'd paint it any color I liked. You didn't buy it for the next owner. You bought it for yourself. So enjoy.

Alvarez Kelly
08-06-2015, 06:18 PM
The value of used reloading equipment seems to be quite low. I'd paint it any color I liked. You didn't buy it for the next owner. You bought it for yourself. So enjoy.

The OP asked about painting a Hollywood Universal. The value is not "quite low. Unless you consider $400 to $600 quite low. But on your main point... If the OP had planned on keeping it forever, I would agree painting it any color he fancies is his choice. However... He has already made it clear he is not a Hollywood fan. If he wants to recover his investment or even make a few dollars, he would be much better off keeping it as original as possible.

dragon813gt
08-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Stripping paint is extremely easy to do. It's not like it's a permanent modification.

triggerhappy243
08-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Mustang, you beat me to the punch. as far as painting it.... it is aluminum, so if you strip it down to raw metal, you will need primer specific for aluminum. there is a difference. and you can buy crinkle paint..... and make it look O.E.M.

Shooter6br
08-06-2015, 07:53 PM
Herters is brown I have my Dad's press

TXGunNut
08-06-2015, 09:13 PM
I've never given much thought to painting a press but I'll never look at my Kitchenaid mixer the same again, lol. Lubesizer is another story, they hang on hooks in a dark corner of my closet until needed and I'd like to find a way to mark them for lube type and maybe a temp tag indicating which die is currently in there. Or maybe I just need to use them more often, lol.

mwells72774
08-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Weren't the old Pacific's blue or red?

triggerhappy243
08-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Red i say red

mwells72774
08-06-2015, 10:54 PM
Was curious. I've got older pacific durachrome dies and they're in a blue box.

LUBEDUDE
08-07-2015, 05:52 AM
Weren't the old Pacific's blue or red?

The original old school were Black.

Then Blue, then Red, and stayed Red when Hornady bought them.