PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 floating handguard help

Silverboolit
08-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Hi.. I have a carbine length AR in .223 and would like to install a free float handguard and do not know where to begin. What do I need to perform this procedure? I have looked at a lot of stuff and am confused about what I need. There are just too many choices to be made and I am AR illiterate, I guess.

OptimusPanda
08-03-2015, 12:34 PM
To my knowledge you'll have to take the front sight base off, which will let you take the gas tube out. After those are off the front hand guard retainer has to come off. The barrel nut, weldspring, and d ring need to go. Depending on the free float hand guard the barrel nut will either go back on or you'll use one they provide.

HATCH
08-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Why don't you post up a picture of your rifle then we can go from there

Jupiter7
08-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Getting a delta ring off is a pain. If your rifle has one, buy snap ring pliers or modify a cheap set of needle nose pliers. Depending on budget, lots of options. Some use a standard barrel but and others are proprietary, I have examples of both. Really depends on what you want the handguard to do(mount stuff and where).

OptimusPanda
08-03-2015, 01:51 PM
I remember hearing or seeing somewhere that it's easier to cut those off.

Ford SD
08-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Hi.. I have a carbine length AR in .223 and would like to install a free float handguard and do not know where to begin. What do I need to perform this procedure? I have looked at a lot of stuff and am confused about what I need. There are just too many choices to be made and I am AR illiterate, I guess.

Every one I have done (one pc handgard) comes with its own barrel nut
so
You have to strip it down to it's basic componets
old barrel nut off -- gas block off -- flash hinder off

tools you will need
upper vice block
wrenches
punches/hammer if gas block is pined
torque wrench 30 ft lb for barrel nut
screwdriver/ allen keys

if you reassambel with old componets there will be a gap where gas block meets the stop on the barrel (width of handgard plate)

KCSO
08-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Take off the old stuff and put on the new no sweat there, but you will need a tube wrench to tighten the new free float guard. Be sure and lube the m=new barrel nut lightly with moly so it won't weld to the aluminum.

GabbyM
08-03-2015, 04:57 PM
You don't want to mess with taking off the front sight just to get the gas tube out. Just drive the roll pin out on the sight block and push the tube back into the receiver.

Silverboolit
08-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all of your help! Just found out that the son-in-law wants to buy it as is. Maybe time to get a new RPR with some funds?? I don't shoot it very much anyway and think that I would enjoy the RPR more.