PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone tried the Lee Shaver Lyman 17 Disc set?

JWFilips
08-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Just wondering if any of you that have mounted a Lyman 17 A globe on your rifles, have tried the Lee Shaver aperture disc set?

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/17-series-globe-front-sight-insert-card-round-apertures-only/

I was thinking of purchasing one to get the "smallest" aperture since the lyman set only goes to .093"
I sure would like to get a smaller front aperture for 50 yd work on my GEW 98

The .093" stock lyman is great but a 3" bull at 50 yds has a lot of leeway!

EDG
08-07-2015, 03:27 PM
I have a set of Browning inserts, 4 or 5 sets of Lymans, 2 sets of Pedersoli inserts and a Lee Shaver set. My Lee Shaver set is the one with the mix of aperture inserts and post inserts.

All those sets except the Lymans have the inner aperture ring supported by cross wires or cross arms. The inner ring is very narrow and is nearly worthless for me. They are so narrow they are difficult to see and worse to use over several hours time.

The Lyman inserts are a lollipop shape with a very wide inner ring supported on the lollipop post.
The heavier (wider) Lyman inner ring is very easy for me to see and use and with a good bullseye (6" to 8") at 100 yards I can shoot close to one inch groups off a bench rest.

Nearly all of my shooting is done at a black bullseye on a white backing to give the most contrast. I have older eyes and my barrels vary from 28" to 34" on single shot rifles.

Someone that shoots gongs, high power or .22 LR or silhouettes might have a different opinion.

I feel the Lymans are superior for my shooting with my eyes.

There is nothing particularly wrong with the Shavers but I cannot use them nor the other brands that I own except for the Lymans.

JWFilips
08-07-2015, 04:18 PM
EDG,
Thanks for the reply…I have old eyes too & I also shoot black solid bulls on white backing (3" @ 50 yds and 5 " at 100 yds)
I was wondering if the thinness of the aperture ring was going to be a problem for my eyes. Guess I won't know until I try them
Jim

enfield
08-07-2015, 09:28 PM
I just got a Lee Shaver #17 spirit level sight and a pack of apertures and a pack of cross hairs, posts etc. I only tried the cross hair so far but it is much better for plinking at close stuff than trying to be consistent with targets at longer range. I did not try the other inserts yet. I tried to put a regular lyman insert in the Lee sight but its a wisker too big so I believe you would have no problem with putting his discs in a regular Lyman #17. for $20 ( American, that's about $300.00 Canadian :) it's worth it.

Mr Peabody
08-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Yes I got the ten pack for my 38-55 Handi-rifle. I think they are a better set than the Lyman.

fa38
08-10-2015, 04:37 PM
I recently purchased a set of apertures for my Lyman 17. The annulus seems to fade at times so that I have to look away and then resight. I think about twice as thick would be better for my eyes.

MtGun44
08-16-2015, 01:26 AM
I bought the Lee Shaver set for the Anschutz size front sight on my K31. Very nicely
made inserts.

Bill

JWFilips
08-16-2015, 03:07 PM
I decided to give them a try...sure glad I did. The smallest aperture works great for me at 50 yds definitely more precision built in.
It has tightened my groups considerably.
Thanks for everyones input

Frank46
08-19-2015, 12:08 AM
Sarco sold a parker hale globe front sight(don't know if they still do) with a base for a round barrel and with each sight they included as set of Lee Shaver sight inserts. Haven't looked on their web page in quite awhile. Frank

Jim_P
08-19-2015, 04:10 PM
If you read the Lee Shaver Sight description from the posted link, it says they are thin enough to put two discs in at once. The largest and the middle (middle/smallest) would result in a thicker annulus and solve many of the issues discussed here.