PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a red dot to Winchester 1885, Traditional Hunter

potatojudge
08-02-2015, 04:30 PM
I have a Browning 1885 lo wall Traditional Hunter in 45 Colt that is great to carry, slick action, fits me well, but the iron sights limit it's hunting use- particularly in low light. This is the model with a half round half octagon barrel.

Is there a mount that fits into the rear dovetail cut (standard 3/8 dovetail I believe) that will allow for the mounting of a Burris Fastfire or similar? I've been thinking about putting a small fixed 4X scope on it, but really don't want to permanently alter the gun by drilling and tapping it. Also, it's so trim I'd hate to add much weight or bulk.

skeettx
08-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Hello potatojudge
Welcome on your first posting.

I know of no made base on the market
BUT should be EASY to make one.
Find a base that will fit the contour of your barrel
Make a blank dovetail filler that contours your barrel
Drill and tap the the filler to 6x48
Insert the filler into the dovetail.
Put the base on and tighten the screw(s)
Attach the selected sight to the mount.

Mike

p.s. found later, good reading

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2803220/Scope_mounts_for_a_Winchester_

potatojudge
08-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the response!

I assume I should use a steel dovetail insert and an aluminum rail section. Should be pretty easy. I'll order a couple of extra blanks, see what me and the drill press can whip up and if it's not successful take it to my local smith.

I'm curious though, has anybody else done this and if not why not?

NSB
08-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Check Winchester's web site and look at their low walls. They had a listing for a company that made bases for those guns and the high wall guns that were one piece bases. You could simply attach the red dot to the one piece base. If you can't find it, I probably can. I looked into it but ended up putting a scope on my low wall and high wall. I did put a red dot on a Win 1886 for a while and it worked great. The mount for it was made by Turnbull. It shot very, very well at 100yds with a Burris FastFire3. Have you thought of just scoping the gun with a smaller scope? I just put a Leupold VX2 2-7x33 on my Low Wall and it looks great and shoots great.

potatojudge
08-02-2015, 11:20 PM
I have the Traditional Hunter model which isn't D&T for scope mounts, or I'd definitely go that route.

minmax
08-03-2015, 06:15 AM
I have seen a base that mounted to the rear dovetail, and there were pictures on the web. The Burris fastfire has different mounting plates for handguns that mount to the rear dovetails. These plates have two pre-drilled holes.
I have the fastfire II which was called the speed bead for shotguns. I bought a base for a picatinny rail and for a Glock. But never got around to mounting them so, I can't give much info on how well it works.
I really like the fastfire and want to get the new version, but I have also been looking at the Vortex line of micro dots they seem to be a good value. If I'm not to busy today I'll look around to see if I can find a link to the mount I mentioned above.

NSB
08-03-2015, 10:08 AM
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/category.asp?family=026C Talley makes the one piece base. Here's the link

MT Chambers
08-05-2015, 11:20 PM
Well it would certainly retain it's antique look, old timey, so to speak.

Jedman
08-15-2015, 09:42 AM
I have a Star ( Made in Spain ) rolling block carbine in 30-30 that I mounted a Burris Fastfire on the barrel. The rear sight was mounted to a dovetail that was larger than the standard 3/8 like most guns have. After experimenting to make a base for the sight to fit on I decided to just mill it into the barrel instead and now it is a dedicated red dot rifle as I have also removed the front ramp and sight. The Fastfire had the picatinney type base so it required milling a small flat and two dovetail cuts for it to clamp on.
I really like it and it shoots great as I cannot see iron sights clearly enough to use them.

Some may think I ruined the value of the rifle but it is not a original antique rolling block and I have about $ 400 in the whole project so to me it's a nice rifle regardless of what others might think of it.

Now with a rifle of the value of yours I would go with a removable mount that would not permanatly modify your barrel. The Fastfire weighs less than 2 ounces so 1 screw holding the mount should work if you get it fit really well.

Jedman146751

I added a pic of the rolling block and a H&R break action I built in 44 mag that both have FASTFIRE SIGHTS.

NSB
08-15-2015, 10:00 AM
I have the Traditional Hunter model which isn't D&T for scope mounts, or I'd definitely go that route.

My Low Wall wasn't drilled and tapped but it wasn't a big deal to get it that way. I found another one that was and simply copied the hole pattern and had a good gunsmith D&T it. Cost me about eighty bucks to get it done and it works perfect. Most of them are D&T so it's not hard to find the hole spacing and get it done.