PDA

View Full Version : Hollywoods - Much ado about nothing

beeser
08-02-2015, 09:36 AM
After recently purchasing a few Hollywoods I have to say I'm confused about all the fuss made over them. Beside the Automatics they're nothing special in my opinion. What am I missing?

Char-Gar
08-02-2015, 11:31 AM
I assume you are talking about Hollywood reloading presses, right?

The mystique of the Hollywood press lies in it's context. When Hollywood was going full bore, their presses were by far the most costly and elegant in the marketplace. The Senior with revolving small turrets for priming arms and shell holders was indeed unique.

If you fast forward 50 years, these presses are no longer unique or elegant, nor will they do things newer designs won't do as well or better. In fact they have relatively weak linkage and leverage.

I am curious why you bought things and latter discovered they were not special. Why did you buy them if you didn't know what they were and were not?

beeser
08-02-2015, 01:19 PM
I assume you are talking about Hollywood reloading presses, right?
I am curious why you bought things and latter discovered they were not special. Why did you buy them if you didn't know what they were and were not?

Yes, I'm talking about Hollywood reloading presses.

My introduction to Hollywoods was with the purchase of a Hollywood Automatic, which motivated later purchases of some Seniors, Universals, etc. I'm sure serendipity and praise laid upon the presses had something to do with it as well. But, now that I've had them for awhile I wonder what makes them so special. Can anyone point out any uniqueness to their design or manufacture? For reference what time period was Hollywood "going full bore".

smokeywolf
08-02-2015, 01:45 PM
beeser, they don't wear out. My single stage operates every bit as well for me today as it did for my father 65+ years ago when he bought it. If you are contemplating dumping these disappointing presses of yours I would be happy to offer a disappointing price for them. :wink:

beeser
08-02-2015, 01:56 PM
beeser, they don't wear out. My single stage operates every bit as well for me today as it did for my father 65+ years ago when he bought it. If you are contemplating dumping these disappointing presses of yours I would be happy to offer a disappointing price for them. :wink:
I plan to part with some but with as much praise lavished on them I do expect a healthy ROI. Exorbitant offers cheerfully considered.

LUBEDUDE
08-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Some just don't get it.

That's fine.

No need to justify.

Not going to waste my breath trying to explain.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/02/f0a7e79203e67a18cc51762d0181d53e.jpg

Char-Gar
08-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Yes, I'm talking about Hollywood reloading presses.

My introduction to Hollywoods was with the purchase of a Hollywood Automatic, which motivated later purchases of some Seniors, Universals, etc. I'm sure serendipity and praise laid upon the presses had something to do with it as well. But, now that I've had them for awhile I wonder what makes them so special. Can anyone point out any uniqueness to their design or manufacture? For reference what time period was Hollywood "going full bore".

50s and 60s

Char-Gar
08-02-2015, 04:42 PM

I reload with two Pacific presses from the 30s and one from the late 40's. I also use an RCBS A2 from the 50,s plus lyman presses and measures from the 50's. Good equipment doesn't wear out.

smokeywolf
08-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Char-Gar, I guess that's why we're still trudging along. I like the Pacific presses too.

W.R.Buchanan
08-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Some just don't get it.

That's fine.

No need to justify.

Lube: if that's your Cobra, you need to explain nothing , you have impeccable taste and are not required justify it in any way.

That is definitely one of the nicest ones I have seen.

Randy

salpal48
08-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Hollywood, Hollywood , Hollywoods. When you Go into a guys Loading Room. those are the one's you notice first.no one notices lee's, Or dillon's. Everyone notices hollywood's. . The only Other machine that are in that league are Star's
Sal

LUBEDUDE
08-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Lube: if that's your Cobra, you need to explain nothing , you have impeccable taste and are not required justify it in any way.

That is definitely one of the nicest ones I have seen.

Randy

No but I can dream!

Randy, I have to tell you about my first very embarrassing encounter with a Cobra.

Back in the 70's I had a 47 Willys Jeep with a 327 in it. I was cruising down the main college drag in Denton, Texas one night and this funny looking roadster pulls up next to me an gooses it.

I thought it was just some foreign job like a Fiat or something that I would blow in the weeds.

Well when I downshifted and nailed it you would have thought that I stood on the brakes with both feet and slammed that Jeep in reverse! That Cobra was gone like a rocket never to be seen again!

I went home and dug through magazines and books. Hand to the forehead! THAT's the Cobra my brother used to talk about and the Beach Boys sung about!

I've wanted one ever since.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/02/a4e635dc11ca18a904b88c78d8dd2f8f.jpg

LUBEDUDE
08-02-2015, 05:51 PM
Hollywood, Hollywood , Hollywoods. When you Go into a guys Loading Room. those are the one's you notice first.no one notices lee's, Or dillon's. Everyone notices hollywood's. . The only Other machine that are in that league are Star's
Sal

Ah, but Sal, Potters are a marvel to behold as well.

And when I see the pics of your well lit loading dungeon, I notice the Lachmillers, Eastons, Pacifics, Herters, Lyman's,....

Well built Muscle as well!

EDG
08-02-2015, 06:07 PM
That is true. There is nothing special about a Hollywood. They are big heavy clunkers with poor mechanical advantage.
Yes you can reload with them but they are not used for really heavy duty jobs.

Google says that Cobra image appears at least 46 times on the internet so I don't think it is your car.

Some just don't get it.

That's fine.

No need to justify.

LUBEDUDE
08-02-2015, 07:10 PM
That is true. There is nothing special about a Hollywood. They are big heavy clunkers with poor mechanical advantage.
Yes you can reload with them but they are not used for really heavy duty jobs.

Google says that Cobra image appears at least 46 times on the internet so I don't think it is your car.

In my reply I denied owning that car sir.

Pressman
08-02-2015, 08:00 PM
I really don't get it? Funny looking black car in a rock quarry. How do you haul rock in that thing? If it don't haul nothin' what good is it.

Lube you gotta explain that one.

Ken

smokeywolf
08-02-2015, 08:03 PM
Cobras? They do haul something.

Uncle R.
08-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Cobras? They do haul something.

Er, could that something be democrats?

:bigsmyl2:

Uncle R.

seagiant
08-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Hi,
This is the closest I have to a Cobra!

Oh yea this is my bike!

Not much for rock haulin, but good for a speed ticket!

beeser
08-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Hi,

Oh yea this is my bike!

That ain't a real bike. No puddle of oil under it. But wow, that is sure purdy.

smokeywolf
08-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Ah, rice rocket.

LUBEDUDE
08-03-2015, 01:49 AM
I really don't get it? Funny looking black car in a rock quarry. How do you haul rock in that thing? If it don't haul nothin' what good is it.

Lube you gotta explain that one.

Ken

In 1964, 400- 450 H/pwr in a 2000 lb or less car. Not much to explain.

As far as the rock quarry? Just probably hiding out from the cops. :)

lightman
08-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Those old presses have a lot of Old World Craftsmanship that you seldom see anymore. Some guys just admire that.

Wayne Smith
08-04-2015, 12:46 PM
My loading bench now has a Grizzley Bear and a Brown Bear (by Bair), a Hollywood Sr. and a TrueLine Jr. mounted to it. They all get used. Guess I like the old stuff, eh?

Char-Gar
08-04-2015, 02:12 PM
My loading bench now has a Grizzley Bear and a Brown Bear (by Bair), a Hollywood Sr. and a TrueLine Jr. mounted to it. They all get used. Guess I like the old stuff, eh?

Yep, you have been bitten, but it is a good bite. With it you get great tools that will last forever and at a fraction of the cost of the new stuff. What's not to like about it?

Kevin Rohrer
08-05-2015, 02:57 PM
After recently purchasing a few Hollywoods I have to say I'm confused about all the fuss made over them. Beside the Automatics they're nothing special in my opinion. What am I missing?

Since you are underwhelmed by them, I volunteer to buy any Super Turrets you might own. Please let me know. I will even travel to you to pick it up so you don't have to ship it.

Kevin Rohrer
08-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Sal

A lee on the same bench as a Hollywood??

Travesty!

Blasphemy!!

.50bmg
08-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Since you are underwhelmed by them, I volunteer to buy any Super Turrets you might own. Please let me know. I will even travel to you to pick it up so you don't have to ship it.

Kevin I don't think Beeser will be calling you anytime soon to sell you a Super Turret. 145978

LUBEDUDE
08-05-2015, 04:48 PM
A lee on the same bench as a Hollywood??

Travesty!

Blasphemy!!

Kind of like Hot Chicks and Yugos, they just don't belong.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/05/20923063c2549a50fca5319ec51812bb.jpg

bhn22
08-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Hollywood presses are beautiful on the inside. They are not a tribute to how cheaply a product can be made, and still function until the warranty expires.

dudel
08-05-2015, 08:35 PM
May not be the OP intention (or maybe it was); but it sure seems like a troll.

starmac
08-06-2015, 06:44 PM
I don't think the op was trolling, just posting his views. In some ways he is right, some things other presses are better at, and most decent presses can and will do the same thing, at least get the job done, just not with the style of using a hollywood. lol

troyboy
08-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Most vintage equipment costs the same or more. Only thing vintage offers is nostalga. Hollywoods are very expensive today and were from the beginning.

jeff423
08-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Don't have any Hollywoods but I can't imagine they are any better than my Dillon and Forster.

dragon813gt
08-06-2015, 07:53 PM
Hollywood presses are beautiful on the inside. They are not a tribute to how cheaply a product can be made, and still function until the warranty expires.

Outside of Smart Reloader what current presses fit this category? They have to be built well because of the pressures exerted on them. I personally don't see the appeal of the Hollywoods. But I'm not a collector and modern presses are just better. As far as not noticing a Dillon first. I sure do. The blue paint tends to stand out from the others.

smokeywolf
08-06-2015, 08:55 PM
I'm very pleased that there are people who have little, if any interest in Hollywood presses. Prices are already too high; don't need competition to push them higher.

bhn22
08-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Outside of Smart Reloader what current presses fit this category? They have to be built well because of the pressures exerted on them. I personally don't see the appeal of the Hollywoods. But I'm not a collector and modern presses are just better. As far as not noticing a Dillon first. I sure do. The blue paint tends to stand out from the others.

Think about it. You know the answer.

ReloaderFred
08-06-2015, 09:31 PM
I bought my Hollywood Senior press used from one of my college professors for $25.00, including a set of Hollywood .30-06 dies, in 1963. I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds on it, and it's still going strong. It now has company on the bench in the form of an RCBS Rockchucker, which RCBS replaced when I wore out my first one, a Hornady LNL, which replaced the Pro-Jector I wore out and a second taller Hollywood Senior. I also have a LoadaMatic, made in 1954, that has been reconditioned this past year.

Is the Hollywood Senior special? Probably not to anyone else but me, since it got me into reloading and has served me very well over the years, and is as good today as it was when it left the Hollywood Gun Shop when it was new. Will I part with it? NO, not on your life!

Hope this helps.

Fred

dragon813gt
08-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Think about it. You know the answer.

Or you could state your case instead of playing games. I have a feeling which brand you want to bash. And they don't fit your description.

HGS
08-07-2015, 01:34 AM
I think you all know how I feel about Hollywood loading presses, I don't seem to have enough. I only have two Senior single stages among a field of Green on my loading/swaging bench.

beeser -- enjoy your HW seniors for what they are, single stage presses used now a days for special ops. like case forming, swaging, or slow single stage precision loading.

Kevin R. -- The next lead on a HW super turret I get, will send it your way.

HGS

beeser
08-07-2015, 09:13 AM
I think you all know how I feel about Hollywood loading presses, I don't seem to have enough. I only have two Senior single stages among a field of Green on my loading/swaging bench.

beeser -- enjoy your HW seniors for what they are, single stage presses used now a days for special ops. like case forming, swaging, or slow single stage precision loading.

Kevin R. -- The next lead on a HW super turret I get, will send it your way.

HGS

Thanks HGS! The seniors are indeed curious limited function presses but I enjoy my Hollywood Automatics more for their odd design. I may have some fun with one of my Hollywood Universals though with a special project planned for it.

starmac
08-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Some of us, just appreciate quality old iron, not just in presses, but many other things as well.
But were talking presses, I am not a collector, my bench has a hollywood universal, a herters model O (I think it is and a rcbs, none get used enough, but all get used. The universal probably more than the others, as it is just fun to work with.

W.R.Buchanan
08-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Soory but I've been down for a few days and this conversation got by me.. First that Cobra is a Kit Car. At one time there were 50 different outfits making Cobra Kits and one that stood out was an Outfit From Oxnard CA called Simms.

They had the best frame of any one out there and you could actually use the 500 HP (actually 691HP on todays Dynos!) your Ford Side Oiler made. The Frames on stock 7 Liter Cobras were spaghetti.

However, real Cobras are worth a lot of money. You can still build a kit for $50-60K and have everything and more and not be afraid to drive it like you stole it.

I was privileged enough to drive a 289 Cobra in 1968 and we had it to 140 MPH on a strait road near my home in Ventura CA. The car was a go kart with 300 hp. I get chills up my back everytime I think about it.

The only faster cars I have ever driven were a 1969 Hemi Charger which belonged to my Maintenance Officer at Randolph AFB in Texas. I was driving with him in the car and we were radar'd at 147 mph on the I 10 by a THP who was a friend. He owned the Chrysler Plymouth Dealership in Seguin TX and we had access to some of the fastest cars to ever leave Detroit. I washed these cars weekly and got to drive them frequently.

My Squadron had no less than 10 69-70 Baracudas with various 340 cu engines and my direct boss had a Hemi Cuda that didn't even have a Radio or Clock in it! He paid $1250 for the car at a Detroit dealer auction and I drove it for him in street races for the entire summer of 1970. This car was the fastest car I have ever driven and Everyone within 50 miles of the base knew it well. We couldn't get a local race to save our butts and finally he sold it. This was a honest Low 10 second car.

A few years ago a Gear Head Show on TV did a Dyno test of all of the Super Car Engines from the late 60's and early 70's. All of these cars were rated at 425 hp since that's all the insurance companies would insure. All the engines were rebuilt to stock specs and hooked directly to the dyno. We thought the Solid Lifter Hemi in the Charger had 485HP and the Hyd. Lifter Hemi in the Cuda had 475HP

In for a rude awakening guys?

The only engine that had 425 hp was the Chevy 409!

396's 490HP

454's 525HP

427 Ford 691HP

427 Chrysler Hemi 810HP!

I almost soiled myself when I saw that dyno pull. No wonder they dominated NASCAR during that period!

To think that they let a 19 year old kid even near 800 HP almost blew my 60 year old (at the time) mind. It's a wonder I'm still alive and I'm completely sure others here can look in a mirror and say the same thing. Do raise your hand?

Cars make Guns seem like Golf Clubs! So much more power available!

My adopted Son just bought a new C7 Z06 Vette with 680?+ HP set him back $110K It has a supercharger on it's Small Block 427 and can easily be chipped to 800HP! and this car can use every bit of it.

I haven't got to drive it yet. :violin:

My mind drifts back,,,,,[smilie=w:

Randy

smokeywolf
08-07-2015, 05:29 PM
HMMMM... Hot girl on top of the hood vs 800 HP under the hood... Do I need to tell you which one has more power over me?

W.R.Buchanan
08-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Oh by the way I just watched a Nosler Commercial where John Nosler is inventing the partition bullet.

It shows him loading a round on a Hollywood Senior.

Just a little pertinent tidbit to add after completely hijacking this thread.

Randy

seagiant
08-08-2015, 12:16 AM
Oh by the way I just watched a Nosler Commercial where John Nosler is inventing the partition bullet.

It shows him loading a round on a Hollywood Senior.

Just a little pertinent tidbit to add after completely hijacking this thread.

Randy

Hi,
Nice story Randy!

I think I just got educated!

As far as hijacking? We know you are good for that!!!:smile:

Pressman
08-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Randy thanks for posting the car history, it really is part of this thread. My second favorite car was a 1969 Charger, Hemi automatic with 3.21 rear end. Never found out what the top speed was as the fuel pump could not pump enough gas to get it passed 115 mph. I got the car, two years old, from Teeter Motors in Malvern Arkansas. The original owner was from Delight.

For those who are interested my most favorite car is the 1962 Studebaker Hawk. For a lot of reasons.

I really enjoy Beeser's questions. He is a thinker, as this thread shows. All the answers are interesting and informative. I like the Hollywood design, but think they have too much of a cult appeal which drives up prices and does not add to collect ability.

Keep it up Beeser.

Ken

Char-Gar
08-08-2015, 01:47 PM
I like old reloading equipment, but I am a user and not a collector. I don't have a Hollywood and would never pay the horrible inflated prices they command these days. Like the OP, I don't see anything special in them. I like Pressman's term of "cult appeal" for that is what it is, an article of faith, not based on any real world worth or value as a reloading press. They are good enough old presses, but not THAT good!

smokeywolf
08-08-2015, 02:59 PM
Char-Gar, the only other press I can think of (other than a dedicated swaging press) that comes close to having the rigidity and longevity of the Hollywoods is perhaps the Texan. School me; what other brands compare to the Hollywoods for mass, rigidity and longevity?

Char-Gar
08-08-2015, 05:27 PM
Char-Gar, the only other press I can think of (other than a dedicated swaging press) that comes close to having the rigidity and longevity of the Hollywoods is perhaps the Texan. School me; what other brands compare to the Hollywoods for mass, rigidity and longevity?

A cast steel RCBS A2. It will do things that will choke a Hollywood and last forever.

ReloaderFred
08-08-2015, 10:49 PM
My tall Hollywood Senior will withstand a lot more than my Rockchucker will. I'm on my second Rockchucker, and the second ram in the current Rockchucker.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m606/ReloaderFred/BulletSwaging003-1.jpg (http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/ReloaderFred/media/BulletSwaging003-1.jpg.html)

ReloaderFred
08-08-2015, 10:53 PM
I know you were talking about the A2 cast steel Rockchucker, but they haven't made those in about as many years as the Hollywood has been around.

I like both presses, and have others on my bench, but my two Hollywoods have never let me down, and the taller one is the only one I can load my .45-120 ammunition on without being a contortionist......

Hope this helps.

Fred

smokeywolf
08-08-2015, 11:29 PM
Char-Gar, UTL = Unable To Locate info on a RCBS A2. Did find an interesting RCBS Summit Single Stage. Are there any turrets that are built with the mass and rigidity that the Hollywoods possess?

Pressman
08-09-2015, 07:27 AM
Smokey Wolf. The RCBS A series presses are king of the hill. That is my not so humble opinion. Anyway the A was introduced in 1955, it was the beginning of RCBS as we know them today. Though the company, presses and dies had been around for ten years prior, it was the 1955 A press that made the difference. Along with the A RCBS introduced a modest little snap in shellholder, the one we all use today. The A's continued on as the 2A, A2 (two versions) and A3 until 1971 when they were dropped as it was deemed that the Rockchucker could do everything the A could in a smaller and less costly size.

The early RCBS presses were painted the ugliest shade gray/green known to man. They just so not look clean and pretty on the bench. Beginning with the A2 the color was changed to a shade of green closer to that used today, a real improvement. A2's look good on the bench.
The early presses were designed as swagging presses first and reloading presses second. That began to change with the A's. The market for reloading presses was much larger than swagging presses. The later, post 1959 Hollywood Senior's with the tall shaft do fill a need, though a small one, for reloaders shooting really long cartridges. Other than that the RCBS A will do everything a Hollywood will do with less effort on the handle. It will full length resize a 30-06 using two fingers, it has that much mechanical advantage. You cannot do that with any Hollywood.

Over all that don't mean the Hollywood is a bad press, just a different design, a different approach to reloading a fired bras case. It is their design that really sets them apart and makes them so noticeable on the reloading bench. As someone else posted the Hollywood will be the first thing the your eye sees when looking at someones bench.

Pictured is some RCBS history, you can see the design progression over time. On the left is the welded frame, the first marketable RCBS press, very few exist. Next is the 1951 press. Other than the linkage it is the design that would oneday become the Rockchucker. On the right is the A3. This is the end of the A press line and again very few were made. These presses are approximately 1/4 larger than the Rockchucker, they are big.

Ken

Char-Gar
08-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Char-Gar, UTL = Unable To Locate info on a RCBS A2. Did find an interesting RCBS Summit Single Stage. Are there any turrets that are built with the mass and rigidity that the Hollywoods possess?

Pressman's post on the RCBS A presses is a very good primer. All of the various A presses do show up on Ebay from time to time. The A2 will run between $175.00 and $250.00 depending on the phase of the moon. This is not cheap for a used press, but certainly not like the Hollywoods. The A2 prices are just tickling the bottom of Hollywood prices. The earlier As are collector's items and usually go for more than an A2.

Not all A2 are cast steel. The later ones without the bushing in the head for shotgun dies are cast iron. I would not consider them to be much,if any better, than the later slightly smaller Rockchuckers.

Bottom line is A2 (steel) can be found it your are patient and have ready cash when they pop up.

Turret presses are another matter. There are some good ones with excellent alignment and adequate strength for reloading either handgun or rifle rounds including the magnums. Many won't handled 50 BMG, but I have no interest in that round.

In the used market the older Lyman All American turret is a good smooth press, with the same type linkage as the Hollywood, which is adequate but not super strong.

The current production Redding turret presses are quite strong with compound leverage and have good alignment. They are a little pricey but there is a reason for the price.

I have taken a good long look at the new RCBS Summit and have decided against buying one. They don't have the weight I like and I see not particular advantage (other than advertising hype) to moving the die down, instead of the case up. They do bear a superficial resemblance to the Hollywood with the large center column, but it is only superficial.

To be honest, for the practical reloader, there are many tools, new and used, that are move than adequate for our purposes. The older cast iron single stage tools, by RCBS, Pacific, Herters, Bair, Lyman and so on are great strong tools which can be had for a fraction of what the new breakable Lees sell for.

My bench is festooned with old 30's, 40's and 50's single stage Pacific C and Super C presses. They don't have compound leverage, are mostly up stroke pressed, but the reload ammo as good as can be produced on any press. They won't be broken or worn out with any routine reloading task. I have paid between $25.00 and $45.00 each for them.

When I want to make things easier on my shoulders and arms or want to full length resize BIG cases I move to the RCBS A2.

I might add that while my shop looks like a tornado just struck, I am very careful to keep my presses cleaned and lubricated for smooth function and long life. Although reloading presses are not delicate fragile things, I treat them like they might roll snake eyes any time with abuse. They won't, but I don't abuse cars, animals, kids, wives or other people in general and I don't abuse my reloading equipment.

W.R.Buchanan
08-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Most all quality reloading equipment will last several lifetimes if simply kept clean. I personally have never seen a worn out reloading tool of any kind, but that's only me. I know I have stripped and repainted a few items that for all intents and purposes were mechanically new.

The main thing that happens is neglect and that neglect usually occurs in a garage where lots of reloading equipment ends up living. Just putting a plastic trash bag over the tool will protect it from flying dirt and dust. Better yet keeping your tools in a closed room or in the house is the best solution.

If you can't do that then putting your tools on a closed wooden or metal box or a plastic tub container with a lid is the next best thing.

I know you can wear out Dillon machines but their engineers built in cheap and efficient rebuilding so it's a non issue. The little SDB with it's replaceable Delrin Plastic Guides and Pivot Bushings is pure genius.

The uses of newer materials is driving mechanical design these days. It used to be that you designed something and if it broke you added more metal to the area that broke and had another shot at it. Now I have plastic guns (Kel-Tec) That are light and inexpensive to make, and are a joy to use.

Now with Computer Design Software you can test things before they are ever made and change as needed then 3D print the part to see if it's really what you want.

Soon 3D printers or more properly "Replicators" will be manufacturing the most complex devices ever imagined. Most of us will see this in our lifetimes.

That in no way validates the misconception that earlier machines and tools are somehow Irrelevant . I assure you that as a highly skilled toolmaker and industrial designer that Reloading Tools have pretty much reached their apogee,,, 30 years ago! In other words you may see small changes in tooling or a new machine design once in a while but for the most part they are simply putting new lipstick on older pigs or using new materials.

The tools necessary to reload ammunition are what they are. Hell the only significant thing that has changed about the Lee Classic Loader Hand Tool in 50 years is the box!.... and the price. It is the simplest way to load ammunition and works as well today as it did 100 years ago.

Hollywood's were the best in their day. They were a part of the evolution of not only Reloading Tools but Machine Tools in general. If I had one, I'd damn sure use it frequently. But my Rockchucker I bought in 1978 is still plugging along and works just fine and I haven't even repainted it! All will eventually be sold for top dollar as I transition from above to below the ground... I take care of my stuff.

One last note: Who wants to type in some commands on their home computer and have a loaded round poop out of a chute on the side of their printer?

How much fun would that be?

Randy

Bent Ramrod
08-09-2015, 02:23 PM
I have three Hollywoods: two turret models and one three position sector tool. The sector version is the most user-friendly to my way of thinking. I leave it set up for .45 Colt and can size/deprime/bell in one operation, clean, prime and charge the cases separately and then seat and crimp the boolits with two separate dies in a second operation. Flicking the sector back and forth is easy; hauling those turrets around on the other tools is like steering the Queen Mary. I've never been easy in my mind about press mounted powder measures, and see no advantage to having a space for them on the turret. It always seemed to me that running rams up and down and yanking turrets back and forth was not something conducive to charging consistency. But the Hollywoods load good ammunition, no doubt. Their dies seem to be a closer fit in the threads than most others; don't know for sure, but I get the impression the tolerances in Hollywood dies were closer than some other brands.

There was a school of thought in the magazines of the 20's and early 30's that really accurate ammunition couldn't possibly be loaded with the rinkydink nutcracker loaders and light bottlecapper presses that were the only offerings back then. The "straight-line" principle of sizing necks and seating bullets was much discussed by people who didn't own dial indicators to check for runout but were sure it was there anyway. To their way of thinking, the only way to load accurate ammunition would be in something with the rigidity and weight of a machine tool, like a slotter, a punch press or a trip hammer. The Universal and Hollywood tools were designed for those who thought that way, and could pay for their fancies.

Phil Sharpe mentioned that the DuPont technicians who ran the pressure guns and set the accuracy levels for the lots of powder and primers used drawers full of Ideal tong tools and the suggestion that they couldn't load accurate ammo with them would bring tears to the eyes of the Department Head. The improvements Sharpe wanted were in ease and speed, and full-length resizing, which was a tedious job with the drive-in and -out hand sizers. The Pacific "C" press did all that the average handloader needed doing, and at a fraction of the cost of a Universal or Hollywood.

That said, they are still good tools. I'd still buy a Senior if I could find one at pre-bubble prices, if only to try my swaging dies in it. The only real beef I have with them is their propensity for spraying fired primers all over the floor. A one-by-two foot cardboard box under the tool catches about 70% of them, with another 5% going into the crevices of the tool itself. I realize there are aftermarket work-arounds for this problem, but for the price and promise of the tool, this should have been taken care of.

I keep the big turrets mostly for "looking" and the sector tool for nostalgic use. And "looking."

beeser
08-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the interesting and informative responses to my question at the top of this thread. I learned a lot in the exchange. My apologies if some got the impression that I'm not a fan of Hollywood presses. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth as I appreciate all of the ones in my possession along with my other manufacturer's presses. Perhaps my question should have been posed differently but it was meant to simply ask the question why there was such a fervent following of all things Hollywood. I didn't get it but now I at least have a better understanding. And for that thanks again for everyone that contributed to this thread.

I don't know how many members here are aware of the Antique Reloading Tools Collector's Association (ARTCA) but after having been pointed in that direction here I've found that they are an excellent resource for vintage reloading tools as well. Paid members are also rewarded with a well written newsletter. The May 2015 issue was especially informative on the subject of RCBS and Hollywood history.

seagiant
08-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the interesting and informative responses to my question at the top of this thread. I learned a lot in the exchange. My apologies if some got the impression that I'm not a fan of Hollywood presses. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth as I appreciate all of the ones in my possession along with my other manufacturer's presses. Perhaps my question should have been posed differently but it was meant to simply ask the question why there was such a fervent following of all things Hollywood. I didn't get it but now I at least have a better understanding. And for that thanks again for everyone that contributed to this thread.

I don't know how many members here are aware of the Antique Reloading Tools Collector's Association (ARTCA) but after having been pointed in that direction here I've found that they are an excellent resource for vintage reloading tools as well. Paid members are also rewarded with a well written newsletter. The May 2015 issue was especially informative on the subject of RCBS and Hollywood history.

Hi,
The best write up and info on the RCBS A2 presses was Pressman's for the ARTCA News Letter!

Heard rumors of a book?

Can't help but hope!

W.R.Buchanan
08-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Greg: I still have 1/2 a can of that Green Hammertone Rustoleum paint. Always looking for a place to use it.

Randy

David2011
08-12-2015, 10:39 PM
Hi,

Oh yea this is my bike!

Can you actually breathe when you're accelerating on that?

Kind of like Hot Chicks and Yugos, they just don't belong.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/05/20923063c2549a50fca5319ec51812bb.jpg

Yeah, but it has Jersey plates and you're in Texas. BIG difference.

Greg: I still have 1/2 a can of that Green Hammertone Rustoleum paint. Always looking for a place to use it.

Randy

Randy, does it match the old RCBS paint well? I have a 30+year old Pro Melt that could use new paint.

Cool thread. I drove a sleeper big block '67 Mustang in college. It had a great loud pedal.

David

.50bmg
08-15-2015, 06:07 AM
I'm sure this guy thought " Hollywoods - Much ado about nothing " also.................146698

beeser
08-15-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm sure this guy thought " Hollywoods - Much ado about nothing " also.................146698

Don't take the quote too literally. It's just an expression about making something overly special or in this case asking the question what makes the Hollywood so special.

mt-ac
08-24-2015, 11:11 PM
I've a set of .50 BMG dies stamped Hollywood. Is this the same company discussed in the thread for the early model reloading press?

ReloaderFred
08-25-2015, 03:11 AM
Yes, it's the same company. The early Hollywood Senior presses were threaded for the larger dies, and used an insert for 7/8x14 dies for the other calibers.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: Welcome to the forum.

seagiant
08-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Hi,
Yes! The Green Hammertone Paint would probably look EXCELLENT on a RCBS Pro Melt!