PDA

View Full Version : Do the Taurus revolvers have a timing problem, or not?

jayjay1
08-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Hello everybody,
I want to buy a .44 Magnum revolver, DA/SA with 6,5" barrel length.
The Taurus Raging Bull and the Taurus Modell 44 are on that list.

But by searching around in the net, Iīve found a lot of vids and threads where a cylinder timing problem with the Taurus is the subject.

Can you tell me please, if thereīs something true about that or not?

If so, having no official Taurus dealer in Germany, both Taurus are out of the race.

Begging for infos.
:drinks:

Lead Fred
08-02-2015, 08:56 AM
Had that same one, went out of battery, junked it

Walkingwolf
08-02-2015, 09:03 AM
I hear it is a hit, and miss on quality. I would only buy a Taurus I could examine first, so that leaves out ordering online. Plus I hate those ugly rubber grips.

Guesser
08-02-2015, 09:15 AM
I've owned several, make that 14 Taurus Revolvers from 454 RB down to 32 H&R Magnum. I've never had one lose timing. I did break a finger nail trying to eject some really hot hand load fired cases from an early RB, but that was from chambers fouled with really hot 45 Colt loads and the fouling ring in the chambers. I did send a 41 Magnum back to be repaired, on their shipping label, but it was my screw up, they covered it anyway.

BigAl52
08-02-2015, 09:42 AM
I have owned 2 a 22 and a 357. They both made my never again list. Al

bcp477
08-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Properly assembled, with parts "fitted" as required, there is no more reason for Taurus revolvers to be out of time (or go out of time)....than any other brand. There is nothing inherently wrong with the design. Cylinder timing is a delicate thing that must be carefully checked, with subtle adjustments made, during the assembly/ testing process. It is, by nature, a hand fitting process. With modern production methods, involving as little hand-fitting as possible, it is very possible that such subtleties might tend to fall by the wayside.

I can't specifically speak to the question posed by the OP, as no one individual would have the breadth of experience with a large enough portion of Taurus revolver production in order to do so. But, I can say that I have had two Taurus revolvers and neither exhibited any timing problems. That is, of course, not statistically significant.

One issue with all Taurus guns is that no parts are made available to end users, or even gunsmiths. Taurus insists that the guns be returned to the factory for repair. So, skilled end users have little chance to correct their own problems. Taurus does, however, offer a lifetime service guarantee.

The only advice to be given on the matter of cylinder timing with Tauruses, just as with every other revolver made, is to check the timing CAREFULLY (as well all other aspects of operation).....BEFORE purchase. If you find a "good one"....then it will likely remain a "good one".

JSnover
08-02-2015, 10:35 AM
I owned a late 80s model 66, 6" .357 with a timing issue, BUT I bought it used in the early 90s. Cast boolits would keyhole one or two rounds per cylinder and spit lead through the gap. Jacketed bullets shot just fine.
If Taurus revolvers were out-of-time from the factory I imagine they would have addressed the problem by now.

Poygan
08-02-2015, 10:56 AM
I would suggest you consider either a Ruger or a Smith and Wesson. The Ruger will be heavier but is very stout. The Smiths have a better trigger pull. From what I've heard, the Taurus warranty work is very hit and miss....

Der Gebirgsjager
08-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Here is what I can contribute, some good, some bad. Back in the 1980s I was active as a gunsmith and dealer, and sold many Taurus revolvers. Most, but not all, were the Model 66 in both blue and stainless, popular because of the price difference when compared to S&W. All of those purchasing the revolvers seemed quite satisfied, but I was bothered by the wiggle in the cylinder, both before and after lock up, which was about three times that of a S&W. In my opinion it was due to the fitting of the cylinder locking bolt being filed too thin when assembled. I telephoned and had a conversation with the head man of the U.S. branch of Taurus and explained the problem as I perceived it. He was very friendly and conceded that I might have a point, but said that since the assembly took place in Brazil he couldn't do anything about it. I was surprised a couple of weeks later to receive a small package in the mail from that gentleman which contained two dozen cylinder bolts. Using some of them I was able to tighten up the locking on several revolvers, and probably still have a dozen remaining. After a couple of years passed I seemed to notice the problem much less often in Taurus revolvers. That said, I personally purchased and still own a Taurus Model 96 .22 L.R. (which had a tight lock up from the factory) and a Taurus Model 441 .44 Special (also locks up tight) and both are accurate, high quality revolvers. The problem with the lock up originated, I believe, from the fact that the assemblers are paid on a piece work basis, cut corners in fitting to increase their income, and the 66 was very popular and many were being made. On the other hand, the .22 and .44 (a 5-shot) are less common and probably receive more attention when fitted. I doubt if you would buy a revolver unseen, so before you lay out your Euros you can check the gun for timing and lock-up. If everything is correct when you buy it I doubt if it will ever go out of time with normal use. Don't flip the cylinder closed with one hand like they do in the Hollywood movies, because that will surely put any revolver out of time. So, there's my observations and experience, but none of it very recent.

Guesser
08-02-2015, 02:29 PM
I've fired a couple of the new Smiffs, Classic Series I believe. Not mine and never would be after firing them. The triggers were terrible. I've got H&R revolvers with better triggers and all my Taurus, Colt and Rugers are better than the new Smiths

Big Rack
08-02-2015, 03:03 PM
The common thread is the average guy can't afford handwork, or the common manufacturer is too cheap. That's why we can't buy a H&R Sportsman ever take a close look at the work on one of these? I've owned a couple of Taurus and a couple of Rossi's kind of liked them all. I sometimes think it's "cheaper than my whatever so it's junk" syndrome. After all every Ruger SA has terrible timing or you wouldn't get a turn line but the comments are that's the way it's built to it's a badge of honor. Remember when Savage 110's were looked down as cheap now look at their rep. same gun accurate for the same reason.
Myself recently when to buy a S & W .38 revolver for CCW, can't remember the model but it was around $425 the salesman who wasn't on commission suggested I try the trigger vs a LCR. I hadn't considered the LCR because cast plastic should cost less than machined steel after comparison the LCR came home rattle and all.

dubber123
08-02-2015, 03:48 PM
I have seen more Taurus revolvers go through my brothers gunsmith shop than all other brands combined. Very sloppy fitting of parts to the point they would bind up is the most common problem. You can hone/polish parts in a firearm as long as they are made to a minimum specification. When you have numerous parts that are supposed to work in conjunction that are already well undersized to help speed production and reduce hand fitting, well, good luck.

I would do a search centered around satisfaction with their lifetime repair policy before you make your purchase. I am assuming you will also be paying a premium due to your location. That too would make me shop very carefully.

Walkingwolf
08-02-2015, 03:58 PM
That was my experience when I looked at new Smiths, and the BC gaps were not acceptable for a new gun IMO.

Petrol & Powder
08-02-2015, 11:02 PM
My experience with Taurus in general is that their quality is a constantly moving target. I've seen some good Taurus handguns and even owned a few but I'm just no longer willing to play in the Taurus sandbox. There is no need to take that risk. There are enough good S&W and Ruger revolvers out there to fill my requirements.

Misskimo
08-03-2015, 05:05 AM
My 15 year old on shoots great

Ola
08-03-2015, 06:02 AM
Timing is a regular problem in modern revolvers. Getting it right is obviously difficult with modern manufacturing techniques.

This in my experience:
Taurus: Some are bad, some are OK.
S&W: Some are bad, some are OK, some are excellent.
Ruger: Almost allways OK.

Electric88
08-03-2015, 07:43 AM
I've not shot the 44 mag version, but my buddy has a Raging Bull in 454. That thing has had no timing problems whatsoever, and we have shot it numerous times.

jayjay1
08-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Gentlemen,
I highly appreciate that you are sharing your experiences here.

Well, I donīt want to play lottery when Iīm buying a handgun.
And over here in Germany, there isnīt an official Taurus dealer at all.
So after reading the comments here, the Taurus are all out of the race, sorry.

Are the Rugerīs really the safe bank?

And if you write "newer" Smithīs, which one do you mean?
Is there a serial number, when it became worse?

Could you tell me about those please?

Walkingwolf
08-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Gentlemen,
I highly appreciate that you are sharing your experiences here.

Well, I donīt want to play lottery when Iīm buying a handgun.
And over here in Germany, there isnīt an official Taurus dealer at all.
So after reading the comments here, the Taurus are all out of the race, sorry.

Are the Rugerīs really the safe bank?

And if you write "newer" Smithīs, which one do you mean?
Is there a serial number, when it became worse?

Could you tell me about those please?

Well all the Smiths with the Hillary Hole I found to be unacceptable. Not sure of those pre hole. You will have a hard time finding pre hole Smiths most likely for less than primo prices. Ruger is the safe bet, but Ruger no longer has a K frame size model, personally I think that is a mistake. Most people have good luck with Rossi, but they are part of Taurus, but they do not have L sized frames, or large frames. Limited to J, and K size frame. Though their 357 snub is a six shot, might be closer to a K, or Colt D frame.

FergusonTO35
08-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Jay, all I can say is my 2013 Taurus 82 .38 Special has been an excellent revolver that is comparable to my Ruger Service Six and S&W 10-10 so far in all respects. Of course that doesn't mean that all of them are. I assume that it is more difficult to purchase and own a firearm in Germany than it is over here, and it is alot more hassle and $$ for you to get one repaired or trade it in on something else. If Taurus doesn't even have an official presence in Germany they may not give you any warranty or service whatsoever, I know that Taurus will not fix any of their guns here that were not originally imported by Taurus USA.

If I were you I would get a Ruger Redhawk. It will still be cheaper than S&W and as close to indestructible as a revolver can be.

Walking Wolf, the lack of a six shot double action revolver that doesn't weigh a ton is a gaping hole in the Ruger lineup. Until they address it I'll just keep enjoying my Service Six!

Petrol & Powder
08-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Ruger is generally a safe bet when talking about DA revolvers.
The "Hilary Hole" on the newer S&W's is ugly and unnecessary but I'm not sure it's a total deal breaker. The reports of the internal lock failing are a bit suspect and if you're worried about it the lock can be removed. The limited number of credible reports of the internal lock failing seem to center around very light weight guns with very heavy recoiling rounds. That being said, none of my S&W's have the lock but that's mostly because I tend to buy older guns.

FergusonTO35 - I'm with you about the Service-Six. One of the best mid-sized revolvers ever made. I wish Ruger had continued to produce those after the GP-100 came along. As for your Taurus model 82 being a good revolver, I will say that of all the Taurus revolvers I've seen; the model 82's seem to have the best track record of the bunch.

Ola
08-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Jay, because I have some kind of idea of your situation (how difficult it is to buy a handgun in Europe AND how difficult things can be when there is something wrong with a American made gun).

-Are you buying a NEW or USED revolver?
If new, consider Ruger.
If used, try to find an OLD Smith & Wesson and test shoot before you buy it. With some luck you'll find an excellent one. If you can't find this good old S&W, buy a Ruger.

-If you have the money and Single Action is OK, buy Freedom Arms. Actually I should have mentioned this first. Freedom Arms are the number one choice if you want a revolver with accuracy and minimum problems.

jayjay1
08-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Thanks so far Ola.
I want to buy a used one, which has to fit the German reglements.

Iīm looking now for a good old Smith or will go with the Ruger.
Therefore, that good old Smiths are rare over here, I will do what I can.

Thanks for your help,
Jay

FergusonTO35
08-04-2015, 04:25 PM
I suspect this will be a lifetime gun for you, given where you live and how much you will spend on it. If I were in your situation the Ruger Redhawk is exactly what I would go for.

Petrol & Powder
08-04-2015, 08:13 PM
I suspect this will be a lifetime gun for you, given where you live and how much you will spend on it. If I were in your situation the Ruger Redhawk is exactly what I would go for.

/\ I concur /\
I own many S&W's and Ruger's ; they are both good guns but Ruger gets the slight edge in reliability and durability. For the OP's needs I would also recommend a Redhawk but perhaps with a set of replacement grips. Does Karl Nill make grips for Ruger DA's ?

Lonegun1894
08-05-2015, 02:19 AM
After the .357 Taurus I used to own that I bought new, the trouble and run-around I got by the company to fix it, and the trouble I have seen with other Taurus revolvers owned by several fiends, here's my take on Taurus. They come in two types, the first has a problem, the second will have a problem, and neither is worth fixing. Now this is assuming you actually use the gun. My .357 went through about 10K rounds, with somewhere between 8-9K of those being .38 Spl loads. My other friends that have them, or had them, saw the same kind of timing and lock-up issues mine developed, but at varying numbers of rounds fired. The worst went bad after 2 boxes or ammo, so about 100 rounds, the best made it past 20K where the owner quit keeping track and then the gun went bad 5-6 years later of consistent use. Compare that to my old Ruger Security Six that I bought used, and have put 95K rounds through since I bought it, and am still using it with no signs of any trouble of any kind. Now to be fair, I did buy a GP100 with the intent of putting the Security Six into semi-retirement because Ruger no longer has parts to fix the SS series revolvers. I hate to say it, but if possible, I would go with either a Ruger or S&W, but I vote for Ruger and continue to do so with my wallet.

jayjay1
08-05-2015, 03:17 AM
/\ I concur /\
I own many S&W's and Ruger's ; they are both good guns but Ruger gets the slight edge in reliability and durability. For the OP's needs I would also recommend a Redhawk but perhaps with a set of replacement grips. Does Karl Nill make grips for Ruger DA's ?

http://de.nill-shop.com/Gebrauchsrevolvergriffe-offenem-Ruecken/Ruger-Redhawk-glatt-Fingerrillen-hinten-offen

Ola
08-05-2015, 04:09 AM
After thinking it over, I must agree with Petrol And Powder. In .44 Mag the Ruger has the edge over S&W if you plan to shoot it a lot.

My prior advise is more suitable to .357 Mag models. .357 is not such a punishing caliber and the good old S&W's can take them in the tens of thousands with out problems.

(by the way: if you are extremely lucky there are some very good Dan Wessons too. If you see one, take a closer look. But be very careful, most ( 9 out of 10) I have seen have been extremely bad. But there is also some that shoot like a dream.)

Petrol & Powder
08-05-2015, 09:08 AM
http://de.nill-shop.com/Gebrauchsrevolvergriffe-offenem-Ruecken/Ruger-Redhawk-glatt-Fingerrillen-hinten-offen

So the answer is yes but at a high price. :smile:

Misskimo
08-11-2015, 01:58 PM
My 357 colt has a timing problem right after I put a new used cylinder on it, The old cylinder had two expanded cylinder slots. Another long story there.
I never EVER EVER shoot 38 sp loads in this gun. Yeh It will shoot them. But the problems will COME, Just like my Taurus 454. I NEVER EVER shoot 45 long colt through.
If I want to shoot long cold. Ill by one. Just like the 357. If I want to shoot 38s. Ill shoot my S&w 38

Petrol & Powder
08-12-2015, 06:26 PM
I've never had a problem shooting 38 Special rounds in .357 magnum chambers or any other shorter cartridge in an appropriate longer chamber (like 44 spl. in 44 mag) If you clean your guns occasionally, like one should, it is not a problem.

The "carbon ring" myth is just that, a myth. If you shoot the shorter cartridges enough the chamber will get dirty and it may become difficult to chamber a longer appropriate cartridge without cleaning but it will not cause damage.

The vast majority of my revolvers are chambered in 38 Special and not .357 magnum because I prefer 38 Special but I've done more than my share of shooting with 38 Specials in .357 magnum chambers without problem.
In any event, timing problems after switching cylinders is a result of improper fitting of the new cylinder/ratchet/hand and/or too much end play; not 38 Spl. cartridges in .357 magnum chambers.

Petrol & Powder
08-13-2015, 08:38 AM
I never EVER EVER shoot 38 sp loads in this gun. Yeh It will shoot them. But the problems will COME...............

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?156622-75-000-Wadcutters-in-a-Model-27

I guess the problems come after 75,000 rounds..?