PDA

View Full Version : Hi-point 45 acp.

HARRYMPOPE
08-01-2015, 09:18 PM
My local shop just took one in unfired and I got it for really cheap with an extra magazine.i must say besides the spongy trigger and odd balance its reliable and accurate.it feeds all bullet shapes and hits dead on.

spfd1903
08-01-2015, 10:42 PM
I have a hi-point .380, 9mm, and .40 S&W. The .380 and .40 are very accurate. Not so much for the 9mm, but all three are reliable.

Misskimo
08-01-2015, 11:15 PM
Mine works good. 45acp. Harder to take apart. But it shoots good
been looking at the riffle version

Akheloce
08-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Got the 45 Carbine. Hate the looks, love the function.

I once loaded up 500 **** rounds by mistake... (Loaded up 10, they functioned fine in my Ruger P97- at first, but horribly in all of my 1911's and later had about 1-10 malfunctions in my Ruger as well)

PO'd at myself, I left them in boxes under the bench for 2 years.

On a whim, bought the 45 Carbine, and she digests those **** plated rounds like nothing. All 500 shot in an afternoon without a hickup.

(I don't shoot it around friends however... Kinda like mopeds and... You know)

HARRYMPOPE
08-02-2015, 01:20 AM
I'm taking it out tomarrow, but early before anybody I know is at the range.I'm going to shot a bunch of steel tula ammo cases I loaded with the 454190 for a mac 10.

Lefty Red
08-02-2015, 01:54 AM
I like the 40 and 45 pistols, and the 380. The 9mm, back then sucked.
The 9mm in the carbine platforn is great.

I put a set screw in the "safety" and made it permently unsafe. Kept it loaded with a an empty chamber.

Jerry

RobS
08-02-2015, 02:53 AM
They are ugly, blocky, and heavy but the 45 ACP I worked on for a friend was accurate and light on recoil due to the heft of the slide. It would eat anything that I put at it which was basically anything I loaded that may not have worked 100% in my pistols. Have to say my friend has shot the heck out of that cheap damn firearm and it just keeps on going.

azrednek
08-02-2015, 03:28 AM
I had a 45 ACP for a short time. I scored it at a yard sale with cloth holster and extra mag for only $70.00. I only shot it on one outing using a hodge-podge of handloads. Shot over 100 rds of home and commercial cast, plated and jacketed. All were various bullet weights, powder charges and some 10+ years or more old. Not a single failure to function.

I traded the 45 + some cash recently for a Hi Point 9MM Carbine. I haven't had a chance yet to shoot the carbine but if it is as reliable as the 45. I'll be a happy camper. The carbine isn't much more than a mild recoiling range toy. I intend to use it teaching my 13 year old granddaughter to shoot long guns.

6bg6ga
08-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Have a 4595 45acp carbine. Fun to shoot accurate but trigger sucks. Does anyone make an aftermarket trigger for them?

Walkingwolf
08-02-2015, 09:01 AM
My wife has 380, it works every time the trigger is pulled. Recoil is similar to a 22lr.

HARRYMPOPE
08-02-2015, 01:05 PM
It ate everything that I fed it today.

RobS
08-02-2015, 10:51 PM
It ate everything that I fed it today.

Yep..............seems that this straight blow back design works well indeed. Of course there are some hi-points that make it through quality control that are not up to standard but that goes for just about any manufacture these days.

Mike Kerr
08-03-2015, 01:43 AM
How easy -or not- are the carbines to clean. Since Carbines are by nature ammo gluttons I wonder how cleaning them works out on a time basis.

spfd1903
08-03-2015, 08:52 AM
The carbines (I have the 9mm) are tedious to breakdown for cleaning. I ended up finding a You Tube video for the re-assembly. There was one evolution that was tricky. Been a few years, so I can't recall the detail. The video was descriptive enough to follow and really helped.

wyrmzr
08-03-2015, 09:08 AM
I had one in .45 for 6 years, never had any troubles aside from wearing a magazine out. One of the local gunsmiths actually carries one in .40 as his EDC; he's former military and loves the heft of the thing. For me, they certainly wouldn't be a concealable firearm, but a bedside stand gun or truck gun would be a good role for them. Could even throw one in the tackle box for those really big fish, or snapping turtles.

farmerjim
08-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Got a 45, 9 and 9 carbine. reliable, accurate, heavy, low recoil. Some say they are ugly. If this bothers you, take it to the range in a paper bag. Others will be jealous when they see how much fun you have with it.

Mytmousemalibu
08-03-2015, 10:47 PM
I have a 995TS carbine, the gun is reliable and accurate and eats the crappiest of ammo with a smile. I am intentionally not going to clean it for a while, haven't since new, as I want to see what it can take. Not a normal practice for me. I mostly feed it cheap & dirty steel case, Tula, Herter's, Monarch, just the cheapest 9mm ball I can find! I would like to find one of the ATI stocks that are NLA, makes it look like a Beretta Cx4 Storm, anything is an improvement over its factory look though!

azrednek
08-04-2015, 12:03 AM
I am intentionally not going to clean it for a while,

I heard nearly the same thing from an adjacent shooter at the range. It was an elderly guy probably in his mid 70's. He remarked, almost bragged to another shooter that struck up a conversation with him during the break. He claimed to have shot 10 boxes through it without a single jam before he cleaned it.

FergusonTO35
08-04-2015, 04:28 PM
I love the concept, however I really wish they had given it a similar stock to the discontinued Ruger PC carbine.

Silverboolit
08-04-2015, 05:28 PM
My 4595 just shoots flat out well. Ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. I don't think that it looks so bad compared to some others that I have seen. No problems in 4 years.

Mytmousemalibu
08-06-2015, 12:27 AM
I heard nearly the same thing from an adjacent shooter at the range. It was an elderly guy probably in his mid 70's. He remarked, almost bragged to another shooter that struck up a conversation with him during the break. He claimed to have shot 10 boxes through it without a single jam before he cleaned it.

Normally i'm pretty picky about my guns being clean. My EDC guns will get cleaned even if I only ran a couple mags through it. It may be a quickie clean but a clean none the less. I actually enjoy cleaning them as much as shooting & reloading. The Hi Point, I want to see how reliable it is when filthy dirty. Its just a range toy for now but I want to know if I can trust my life with it should I need to. So I'm running cheap steel case because it is cheap and it is dirty. The gun is about as simple as they come so i'm sure it will run fine but for once, i'm breaking my OCD rule of leaving a gun dirty.

jonp
08-06-2015, 05:45 AM
I have a 995TS carbine, the gun is reliable and accurate and eats the crappiest of ammo with a smile. I am intentionally not going to clean it for a while, haven't since new, as I want to see what it can take. Not a normal practice for me. I mostly feed it cheap & dirty steel case, Tula, Herter's, Monarch, just the cheapest 9mm ball I can find! I would like to find one of the ATI stocks that are NLA, makes it look like a Beretta Cx4 Storm, anything is an improvement over its factory look though!

I have several Hi Point pistols and a couple of carbines. You are going to wear your finger out before it stops. Cheap, ugly and dead reliable. Great nightstand or truck gun.

I took 2 9mm carbines on vacation with me and ran about every type and configuration of ammo through both. HP, Solid, Reload, Factory Reload, Lead, Plate, Solid etc...didn't seem to matter.

kentuckyshooter
08-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Just my 2 cents. I have a hipoint c9. 1000+ rounds trew it and the onlx time its ever gave me problems is when i bough some zq1 ammo at wallyworld. Ever 2 or 3 rounds i would get a failure to eject due to the case swelling and locking to the breach. Poped them out by hand with a rod and used them up. I dont have experence with the 45 but for the money u wont get a better gun. Plus it has a true lifetime waranty. If it ever breaks hipoint will fix or replace it even if u are not the original owner.

crawfobj
08-07-2015, 09:21 PM
I also have a 45 carbine. My only wish is that it took 1911 mags, but it's great for what it is.

Akheloce
08-07-2015, 09:27 PM
I also have a 45 carbine. My only wish is that it took 1911 mags, but it's great for what it is.

+1

I hate those mags... I bleed after loading a few... I'd really like double stack Glock mags.

crawfobj
08-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Glock mags would be even better. My Kel tec sub 2000 in .40 takes glock mags. Love it too.

Mytmousemalibu
08-09-2015, 01:08 AM
I have several Hi Point pistols and a couple of carbines. You are going to wear your finger out before it stops. Cheap, ugly and dead reliable. Great nightstand or truck gun.

I took 2 9mm carbines on vacation with me and ran about every type and configuration of ammo through both. HP, Solid, Reload, Factory Reload, Lead, Plate, Solid etc...didn't seem to matter.

It sounds like you likely have put many more rounds downrange with yours than I have mine. Great to hear it is so reliable for you too! I have run everything but cast through mine, no problems. I will feed it some cast boolits here in the near future!

rondog
08-09-2015, 01:49 AM
I have a 4095 carbine and two 995 carbines. All are dead reliable and boringly accurate. They just shoot and hit, shoot and hit..... Just too much fun!

HARRYMPOPE
08-09-2015, 03:37 PM
I just took it out again this morning and ran 200 rounds with lyman 452374 full Power ball loads.they cycled perfectly shot fantastic.I let three others shoot it and they walked away grinning and confused how a club of a pistol is so easy to shoot and reliable.. I also used tula steel cases for my reloads to keep with the El cheapo style I'm swinging

rondog
08-09-2015, 04:10 PM
When I bought my 4095, I bought two boxes of ammo and went to an indoor range. Took it out of the box and started shooting, no sight adjustments at all. These are the two targets, one box of 50 rounds through each. There's some flyers that were my fault, due to fatigue and black sights against a black target, but overall it just put them through the same hole over and over. Got to where I had to aim for the edges to see my hits.

Funny thing, there was a bulldyke range officer there, and she couldn't wait to see my cheap *** HiPoint blow up in my face, so she stood behind me to watch the show. She finally stomped away in disgust as the carbine just kept on doin' its thing.

Not sure of the distance, but probably a typical 25 yd. indoor range. Targets all the way to the end.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/my%20High%20Points/DSCN1764.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/my%20High%20Points/DSCN1763.jpg

frkelly74
08-09-2015, 04:19 PM
There seem to be two camps existent with respect to Hi-point carbines.... those who dislike them and those who have actually owned and shot them.

HARRYMPOPE
08-09-2015, 04:25 PM
There seem to be two camps existent with respect to Hi-point carbines.... those who dislike them and those who have actually owned and shot them.

That says it best.

HARRYMPOPE
08-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Well I can't stop shooting the thing. I ran 200 through it today in two range sessions with no problems. I have settled on the steel cases and the cast ball load equivelent.I am shooting this gun as good as any other service type gun I have shot.today a group of tactical guys were blazing away with their glocks and xd's and was shooting groups as good at the close 7 yard targets.I'm a pretty crappy pistol shot so a good shooter really would have embarassed them.

SeabeeMan
08-16-2015, 06:20 PM
I have a Hi-Point 9mm pistol and carbine, and I would love to get the same setup in 45. My only complaint is somebody put the ATI stock on the carbine at some point and I just haven't sprung for the new target stock yet to get it back to stock new/condition.

Frkelly74 nailed it. Lots of Hi-Point owners and lots of Hi-Point haters...good luck trying to find one in the same. Is it it a Sig? Nope, but it doesn't pretend to be either. It's just bombproof and goes bang.

If you haven't seen the Hi-Point torture tests by IraqVeteran8888 on youtube, do yourself a favor and spend a half hour watching somebody try to murder a hi-point.

Tar Heel
08-16-2015, 09:14 PM
It's a ********* We used to call them throw-down guns back in the day. What ever floats your boat man....

Finster101
08-16-2015, 09:24 PM
It's a ********* We used to call them throw-down guns back in the day. What ever floats your boat man....

Ya know, there are several products out there that I just can't stand and that some people love and since no one is forcing me to buy and use one of those products there is no real reason for me to bash them is there? Some folks just have to stir the pot. Guess that's what "floats their boat".

James

SeabeeMan
08-16-2015, 09:37 PM
It all depends on your definition of *********

If you are looking for reliability, solid construction, durability, and customer service, then you can pick up most modern firearms and be completely happy. When you balance cost against those 4 characteristics, you find yourself with a "value." Considering only those 4, Hi-Point's are perfectly acceptable if not great.

If you add fit & finish beyond what it takes to be reliable, looks, brand recognition, and ego to the mix of what you are looking for in a firearm, then Hi-Point is indeed a *********

If it's not your thing, then so be it. It's like trying to argue about supercars with a guy who just loves his rusty '78 F100 because it always runs, looks be damned.

HARRYMPOPE
08-16-2015, 11:04 PM

What Floats my boat is adding opinionated idiots to my ignore list.you made it!

xacex
08-17-2015, 12:10 AM
You CAN modify 1911 mags to work with the 45 carbine, so it should work with the handguns as well. There is a youtube on the conversion. It is quick, and easy from what I remember.

HARRYMPOPE
08-17-2015, 01:33 AM
I let a lady shoot it tonight and it stovepiped every shot.I thought well its finally what some people say they are!! I took it back and shot the 50 below at 7 yards to gain confidence in the gun again . I'd never taken limp wristing as a cause for jams,but this was a case of it.once I showed her to hold different it cycled fine.

HARRYMPOPE
08-17-2015, 01:37 AM
You CAN modify 1911 mags to work with the 45 carbine, so it should work with the handguns as well. There is a youtube on the conversion. It is quick, and easy from what I remember.

The new jhp pistol frames are too long for 1911 mags to work.I wish they did because the mags are really flimsy. the old alloy "jh" frame was shorter and a heel release.

M-Tecs
08-17-2015, 07:50 AM
II'd never taken limp wristing as a cause for jams,but this was a case of it.once I showed her to hold different it cycled fine.

I work a lot with new shooters. Limp wristing is big problem for some. The small framed 380's, 9's & 40's seem to be the most susceptible. One of my personnel carry guns is a Kahr MK40. It's to much gun for new shooters but even some experienced shooters have issues with it. In close to 3K thru the MK40 I don't remember a FTF for me. One of my buddies is LE and he gets about 10% FTF with my MK40.

HARRYMPOPE
08-17-2015, 10:03 AM
I learned something. I thought "limp wristing" was bs.I tried to make my 1911s jam before limp wristing but couldn't. I guess it happens in specific situations.

M-Tecs
08-17-2015, 11:26 AM
The lighter the mass of the pistol or the heavier the slide spring the more susceptible the pistol is to limp wristing. In my 45 Hardball guns I use 22 lbs. springs. This reduces the felt recoil since the slide doesn't slam into the frame. When I shoot 185 WC recoil is very soft but if limp wrist I will get jams. Most people are surprised by how much additional felt recoil high slide velocity imparts to the pistol.

HARRYMPOPE
08-17-2015, 02:36 PM
being that this ia a blowback it may be the issue.

Tar Heel
08-17-2015, 07:14 PM
Ya know, there are several products out there that I just can't stand and that some people love and since no one is forcing me to buy and use one of those products there is no real reason for me to bash them is there? Some folks just have to stir the pot. Guess that's what "floats their boat".

James

Nope. It's a plastic ********* No pot stirring here. You get what you pay for. My boat is afloat and I call them as I see them.

Tar Heel
08-17-2015, 07:17 PM
What Floats my boat is adding opinionated idiots to my ignore list.you made it!

And then there are jerks who think only their opinion has validity. Congrats Harry. You are on my ignore list. Oh darn....you won't see this.

turtlezx
08-17-2015, 08:21 PM
harry thats 50 rds in 1 hole ?? (pic)
if so nice shooting !!

HARRYMPOPE
08-18-2015, 02:29 AM
Well 46 in one hole.I like those grips. Are they the simulated ones from hi point?

HARRYMPOPE
08-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Well another 150 rounds of cast down the pipe today between me and my teenager. This "piece of junk" just keeps working!

HARRYMPOPE
08-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Ok this is 100 offhand today at 7 yards shot rapid fire from a poor shot (me)

The 2nd shot I really shot low(off the paper not seen).still no malfunctions.

turtlezx
08-23-2015, 08:43 PM
i made the grips from burl maple
LOTTA work there not flat on the frame side you will notice this first time the grips come off
polished the slide close to chrome when done

waksupi
08-23-2015, 11:47 PM
Well, after buying a Hi Point 45 yesterday, and shooting the bejeebers out of it, I'm impressed. Excellent trigger, very accurate, no malfunctions. I believe it may be a better shooter than my Colts.

HARRYMPOPE
08-25-2015, 12:32 AM
It's very odd isn't it.my friends that shoot it have shot it better than the guns they brought with them.it's really funny to see the looks on their faces when they just keep cutting the same hole at 7 yards.I shot it rested a bit a 25 yards a bit ago and held the black of the standard slow fire target. Most of the shots were very tight.ok I had a couple shots wide but come on its 1/5th the cost of a 1911 colt!

waksupi
08-25-2015, 10:37 AM
I have also seen mentioned poor fit and finish. The one I got is very well done in both departments.

fg-machine
08-26-2015, 03:22 PM
a few years ago i bought a highpoint pistol in .45 simply because it was cheap and they are made just a few miles away from me .
i never really shot it or thought much of , then one of my nephews turned 18 and showed a interest in shooting so i turned it over to him along with a .50bmg ammo can full of random mixed up .45 acp ammo .
two days later i got the ammo can back full of empties , we sat down reloaded everything and away he went , a few days later i got the empty can back again along with the pistol .

in two sessions he managed to shoot around 1400 rounds without any cleaning ad with zero malfunctions

HARRYMPOPE
08-27-2015, 09:20 AM
Try that with a Kimber or Springfield !