PDA

View Full Version : Got me some BL-C(2)

303Guy
08-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Been waiting a while for it and nearly missed it. But I have and now to decide on a starting load. It's for my good bore Lee Enfield under 150gr Hornady bullets which have always shot well in this rifle (and are cheaper than the more accurate Sierra's).

I don't get to shoot often enough to want to start at the very bottom but wisdom tells me that is what I must do. Besides. that might just be the most accurate load. So my intentions are to load five of each in reasonable steps, right up to maximum and to stop where the pressure looks like it's enough and pull the rest. I am hoping for maximum velocity from this rifle which is why I got the powder - higher velocity at lower pressure. If I can get my regular 2690 fps but at lower pressure with reasonable accuracy then that's fine. 2750 fps would be better but not at the cost of lost accuracy or higher pressure! I think I'll start out with new cases for this initial load development then reuse those same cases for the next, more narrowed down tests. Something to look forward to. It's been a while!

9w1911
08-02-2015, 02:15 AM
I have never used it but would love to give it a try :)

Blackwater
08-03-2015, 11:07 AM
I haven't used any in a long time, and can't even recall what calibers I tried it in, but I seem to remember that I got my best results with std., or non-magnum primers. Some ball powders have heavy coatings of deterrent, and need magnum primers for best results, but BLC-2 wasn't one of them, if I'm remembering correctly. I think I used it in .223, and maybe .308, IIRC.

dtknowles
08-03-2015, 11:19 AM
I have used it in 6mm PPC with std. small rifle and bench rest small rifle primers and it was very consistent.

Tim

DR Owl Creek
08-03-2015, 02:16 PM
BL-C(2) is one of my favorite powders for jacketed bullets in .223/5.56 and .308/7.62 loads. It produces really good accuracy at higher velocities, and it meters well too. If it was the only powder I had for those two cartridges, I would be quite satisfied.

Dave

303Guy
08-04-2015, 04:31 AM
Interesting info, thanks.

I've loaded up 30 rounds in one grain increments from starting to max, five rounds of each. I used Winchester primers because of the power of those primers. Maybe I should have used Federals.

What is apparent is the powder fills the case well. It does meter well. I'm thinking of trying some under a paper patched boolit, perhaps a starting load for the bullet weight.