PDA

View Full Version : Chasing .32 ACP brass ...

Trinidad Bill
08-01-2015, 08:42 AM
I have become very attracted to the .32 ACP pocket pistols and the round itself. I have a FN 1922, Walther PP, and Colt 1903 that I am reloading for.

But chasing .32 ACP brass is a pain in the you know what. You cannot see those little suckers in the grass or gravel once they have been launched! I am beginning to think I can reload the brass once and leave them lay where they fall because they are almost impossible to find. I enjoy shooting the pistol and reloading, but looking for the brass is not productive.

I know I am not the only one who likes this little cartridge, what do others do?

upr45
08-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Got a 1903 also, I throw out a tarp or 2 to my right & behind me. If the're in the grass I loose at least 30% & look for the sun glint on the cases. The 1903 sure likes to spread them out, eh? Way harder to find than 45acp! After I loose all I can stand, I finish shooting session with a revolver. Remorse over lost brass is something than keeps me awake at night.

Harry O
08-01-2015, 09:48 AM
I started with the .32ACP many, many years ago when I inherited a pre-WWII Walther PPK from my Grandfather. He had two. One went to his son and one went to me, his grandson. I have since added a few others (a Mauser HSc, a Colt, and a recent Kel-Tec).

I found out that it is just about impossible to recover brass while standing on gravel, which is what is on the firing range at an outdoor range my father (and later, me) belonged to. Now, I get what I can and don't obsess about the rest. I have kept an eye out for .32ACP brass while going to gunshows and have found some cheap brass from time to time, to keep me supplied.

Most of my reloads are with 77gr cast lead bullets. I ran across a really good buy on 60gr jacketed hollow-point Hornady bullets a couple of years ago and bought a bunch, but have not started loading them yet.

Charley
08-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Yep, the tarp trick is the way to go with those itty bitty cases. Makes things much, much easier.

Trinidad Bill
08-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Obsessing over brass is a good way to put it. I find myself going back days later, looking.

I have done the tarp thing. It takes me a magazine to find out where to put the tarp. Like the Colt 1903, my Walther will throw brass randomly 15+ feet! Instead of looking at the target for the bullet, you're looking at the brass and where it lands. Grrrrr

I have seen some hand held brass catchers but that takes the fun out of shooting. I guess I'll take what I can find and buy more brass when I find it.

FergusonTO35
08-01-2015, 03:40 PM
I love the .32 Auto round and my little Kel-Tec P32. It flings brass everywhere, on a good day I find about 50%. I am thinking about modifying the ejector to not throw the brass as far. Maybe just bending it a bit so it would slope downward would do it. I wonder if the pistol would eject without an ejector. That's how Seecamp does it.

Virginia John
08-01-2015, 03:51 PM
I even went so far as to paint the bottoms with "dayglow orange" and it still didn't help. The tarp is the best solution if you are shooting alone or have your shooting buddy spot them for you as they are ejected. There is absolutely no way to recover them all.

35remington
08-01-2015, 05:18 PM
As mentioned, shoot slow fire with a friend spotting. Don't shoot again until the location of the previous ejected round has been discovered. Polish brass before loading so it is easy to see.

If your range has a covered corner shoot there and let walls and roof trap brass.

tejano
08-01-2015, 05:58 PM
I paint the bottom of my brass and I start looking for the brass after every 10 shots. Usually I only lose 1-2 per outing to the Brass God. Some times I recover all them only to find that 1-2 have split. Oh well, it is probably my favorite cartridge to load and shoot so I will "endeavor to persevere." :)

Mytmousemalibu
08-01-2015, 06:58 PM
A tarp is handy! Also go look at dusk with a bright flashlight, the glint stands out in the darkness but if they land case head down and many do, they are hard to spot. Put up an artificial wall like a sheet of plywood if you can and shoot close to it, brass bounces off and down at your feet. I have seen these made of fine netting/mesh and even plexiglass. My M57 Tokarev throws brass into the next county and I hate loosing my brass, bugs me to no end!

Doc1
08-01-2015, 07:26 PM
If you have kids and a metal detector let them go hunt for the brass you can't find and give 'em a bounty of ten cents each. They'll have a fun new game and you should get most of your brass back.

Best regards
Doc

Walkingwolf
08-01-2015, 08:03 PM
I have the same problem with 380 cases, I lose about 10%. I have been thinking of buying a metal detector to find my brass.

imashooter2
08-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Half of a fitted sheet between 2 poles or trees on your right will collect 100% of your cases. They hit the loose linen and then fall straight down into the pocket created by the elastic.

Frank46
08-01-2015, 11:30 PM
I bought a surplus mosquito net and used to staple it to the right of my shooting position. My buddy did the same only he did one better. Same netting but stuck the ends in a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Frank

9.3X62AL
08-02-2015, 01:14 AM
A tarp on the ground or net to the side is a good brass saver. 32 ACP is tough to see on some backgrounds, as are 30 Luger and 7.65 MAS pistol. Those last two are REAL scarce, so I take strides to collect the empties.

stu1ritter
08-02-2015, 07:37 AM
I solved the problem by shooting my KelTec indoors and only indoors.
Stu

bedbugbilly
08-02-2015, 02:15 PM
hey . . let's face it . . it's not only 32ACP that's a pain to try and find. I have a 50 yard range out back of my house - have the distances marked off with 2" PVC pipe so I know the distances - 50 yd, 25 yd, 7 yd SD range, etc. I keep the grass SHORT and it's still a pain to fine my 9mm. I usually shoot standing in the same spot each time so I have a "general" idea of where my brass is flying - but still go back to the house with less than I went with. I finally went to picking up all that I cn see with the sun reflecting on them . . . and then once a month take the metal detector our and "go fishing". Amazing how the detector goes off by they are still hard to find. Maybe getting to old?

Mike Kerr
08-03-2015, 01:36 AM
Some good suggestions and comments in this thread but we all know the REAl REASON 32 acp brass is so difficult to find is because it has a built in stealth factor enabling it to hide almost anywhere. Now 380 is a problem since it mixes with 9mm; and 9mm itself likes to mate with 45 acp; but nothing compares to that sneaky, sly 32 acp case that evades capture at every opportunity. Only dork solutions like sheets and nets for brass capture have any impact. I personally just write off 50% at a busy indoor range with plenty of brass on the floor. I know I'm just going to frustrate myself spending extra time trying to find the little sneaks - just shoot it- pickup the obvious- write off the rest.

Billairgun
08-03-2015, 06:40 AM
I don't see the problem. I just pick it out when I'm on my knees trying to sort out my 25acp from the rimfire brass that's all over the place.

Petrol & Powder
08-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Big Tarp !

Trinidad Bill
08-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Half of a fitted sheet between 2 poles or trees on your right will collect 100% of your cases. They hit the loose linen and then fall straight down into the pocket created by the elastic.

I kind of like the fitted sheet idea. Never heard that one before. It might be a bit unwieldy in the Colorado wind, plus there are no trees on my range. Still a good idea.

rondog
08-03-2015, 09:34 AM
It's kind of a pain, but setting up one of those screened picnic tents and then shooting inside of it will catch all your brass too. Put a tarp down first, set up the tent, put your shooting bench inside, and go to town! All your brass of all flavors will stay inside, plus you'll have shade and some degree of wind and bug protection too.

Trinidad Bill
08-03-2015, 09:40 AM
It's kind of a pain, but setting up one of those screened picnic tents and then shooting inside of it will catch all your brass too. Put a tarp down first, set up the tent, put your shooting bench inside, and go to town! All your brass of all flavors will stay inside, plus you'll have shade and some degree of wind and bug protection too.

Now, that has merit!

rondog
08-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Yeah, you know, one of these things.....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/range%20photos%20and%20stuff/080613_2n3DT_46a.jpg

spfd1903
08-03-2015, 10:30 AM
I can live with missing .380 auto and 9x19, because I have tons of each. The Starline Tokarev and Makarov is what I fret about losing track of. Reluctantly bought a wrist net from Amazon, not expecting much, but I rarely lose one in a hundred with it. Takes some getting used to, but properly placed, it doesn't interfere with shooting. Rather look for one stray, than the whole magazine.

olafhardt
08-04-2015, 07:27 AM
My Colt Police Positive handles 32 ACP nicely and I have no trouble collecting brass.

Trinidad Bill
08-04-2015, 08:23 AM
My Colt Police Positive handles 32 ACP nicely and I have no trouble collecting brass.

Point well taken! But, just think what you are missing.

NoZombies
08-04-2015, 11:11 AM
I've been using a tarp for a while.

Thankfully I'm patient, and when I find .32 brass cheap, I buy it. All.

This leaves me with a decent supply, and if I manage to loose a few pieces, I can still sleep at night.

olafhardt
08-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Point well taken! But, just think what you are missing.
Bill, my first handgun was a Llama police surplus 32 ACP which I traded on a Ruger single six 22 but I had been bitten by the 32 bug and then the wheel gun bug. However, I still craved a 32 auto. Happened on my beloved Colt New Police, Police positive. My next trip off the rails at the 32 junction was top break revolvers in 32 S&W not S&W long. I still had an ache for a 32 ACP, either an old Colt, or a Remington 51 or a Beretta. I ran into a guy who had a Beretta 81 and wanted cash for a new AR. Deal made. I made some discoveries about 32 ACP ammo: You can get it at Wally World. You can get it online at 15-20 bucks for 50. I just decided I am not going to chase 32 ACP brass. The Beretta is lovely but the clips are hard to reload.

FergusonTO35
08-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Well, I'm going to be trying an experiment of sorts to calm down the brass ejection in my Kel-Tec. My pistol already has an 11 lb. Wolff spring in it, which helps tame the muzzle jump of stout loads and keep the slide from battering the frame. I completely disassemble, clean and lube this pistol annually since it is my main pocket carry. Last night I gave it the annual tune up, plus I modified a spare slide lock/ejector that I had. I trimmed down the tab that engages the mag follower to activate the slide lock so that it no longer contacts the follower. The slide lock on this pistol is pretty useless any way, and I think that the cartridges rubbing against it might cause the ejector to move around. I then trimmed the ejector blade back by about half so that it doesn't push out against the cartridge so much. Hopefully these modifications will keep the empties from flying so far.

I really love the Kel-Tec P32. I can shoot it fast with good accuracy and you can really wake it up with CIP spec European ammo or smart reloads. With boolits the .32 Auto is dirt cheap to shoot, as long as you can find the brass. The P32 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster has 7 rounds ready to go in a package smaller than my wallet, and in the event the pistol gets lost, damaged, or pirated you can replace it for less than $250.00. Kel-Tec sells all parts for it other than the receiver on their website dort cheap. The lost brass discourages me from practicing with it, which causes me not to carry it because I always stay practiced with my carry guns. Hopefully these mods will change that.

FergusonTO35
08-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Gents, I am pleased to announce that modifying the ejector on the P32 does tame the brass ejection. All I did was trim the overall length of the very top of the ejector to about 9/32 with a pair of dike cutters and then smoothed it with a fine file. This causes the ejector not to protrude out as much in front of the slide, so that it doesn't push the ejecting brass out as hard. Now, practice loads go 1-3 feet, strong defensive loads go around six feet. My find rate is now up to around 95% and the pistol is still 100% reliable.

beemer
08-08-2015, 10:06 PM
I have four boxes of Herter's 32 acp in like new boxes with beautiful brass that was made in Finland, after reading this I'am afraid to use it.

FergusonTO35
08-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Original Herter's ammo? I bet somebody would be happy to swap you new stuff for it.

beemer
08-08-2015, 10:41 PM
It is not ammo but new old stock Herter's brass, somebody must have had it stored for a long time.

Tom W.
08-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Take a kid or two with you when you go shooting and offer a small bounty for recovered brass.:bigsmyl2:

Trinidad Bill
08-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Bill, my first handgun was a Llama police surplus 32 ACP which I traded on a Ruger single six 22 but I had been bitten by the 32 bug and then the wheel gun bug. However, I still craved a 32 auto. Happened on my beloved Colt New Police, Police positive. My next trip off the rails at the 32 junction was top break revolvers in 32 S&W not S&W long. I still had an ache for a 32 ACP, either an old Colt, or a Remington 51 or a Beretta. I ran into a guy who had a Beretta 81 and wanted cash for a new AR. Deal made. I made some discoveries about 32 ACP ammo: You can get it at Wally World. You can get it online at 15-20 bucks for 50. I just decided I am not going to chase 32 ACP brass. The Beretta is lovely but the clips are hard to reload.

Olafhardt...

You need one of these...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/2457f76bc320766f6d8c4a92aa380ced.jpg

olafhardt
08-11-2015, 01:52 AM
True, Bill, so true. All I have to do is find one I like. In the mean time I just found another Police Positive deal I could not refuse.

FergusonTO35
08-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Awhile back there were alot of surplus Beretta 84's in 7.65 coming in. Talk about overbuilt for the cartridge!!

Trinidad Bill
08-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Awhile back there were alot of surplus Beretta 84's in 7.65 coming in. Talk about overbuilt for the cartridge!!

I'll have to take a look at that one.

I have been carrying the 1903 in my back pocket. I have to say you can hardly tell the gun its there and it's very comfortable. Everything about the size and shape of the hammerless pocket Colt is truly well done as an easy comfortable carry piece. .32 ACP well... I would rather have a .45 ACP... but the .32 is sure easy to handle.

Bottom line is I enjoy carrying it.

Outpost75
08-11-2015, 05:35 PM

You may get away with this for a few rounds, but I have seen several Colts in which the firing pin bushing was set back into the recoil plate by setback of .32 ACP rounds, due to the difference in rim thickness. If you do not have the tools and skill to reset and stake the bushing, this causes misfires and hard cylinder rotation from set back primers when .32 Long ammo is used, and can be an expensive trip to the gunsmith to fix.

tejano
08-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Here is my 1903, which is the most recent addition to my 32 auto stable. It is a WWII lend-lease model. The "U.S. Property" marking is faint and probably not visible in the photo because my photography skills are nill.

alg3205
08-11-2015, 08:36 PM
I found a large close knit net that is about 12*12, a couple of rocks on the corners and it lays flat. My Walther PP usually keeps a good pattern of ejected cases on the netting.

olafhardt
08-11-2015, 11:08 PM
You may get away with this for a few rounds, but I have seen several Colts in which the firing pin bushing was set back into the recoil plate by setback of .32 ACP rounds, due to the difference in rim thickness. If you do not have the tools and skill to reset and stake the bushing, this causes misfires and hard cylinder rotation from set back primers when .32 Long ammo is used, and can be an expensive trip to the gunsmith to fix.
I have never heard of that. Is this from your own experience? I have heard of empties getting hung under the extractor.

trapper9260
08-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Big Tarp !

I am with you on that and works for me also.Yes once in a while I lost 1 or 2 but that is just the normal compare to before I use a big tarp.

Mike Kerr
08-16-2015, 03:17 PM
What it comes down to, either use a tarp or net, or look for them all over everywhere. 32 acp brass is truly elusive for range pick up.

FergusonTO35
08-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Yep. No endless buffet as with 9mm and .40.