PDA

View Full Version : Pluses or Minuses for Contender G2 w 17 Mach 2 barrel

kywoodwrkr
07-31-2015, 07:00 PM
Saw this in local gun shop and thought it was nice-but, what about ammunition-price and availability.
Misplaced my G1 frame and need replacement so was looking at this combination as a possible buy so I can use my old barrels.
What are the + and - in your mind on this TC.
Thanks for you thoughts.

Tatume
07-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Recently I acquired a Contender in a caliber I didn't need. Within hours the barrel had been traded for another in a chambering I wanted. If you don't like the 17 Mach 2, trade it for something else.

Mine are the original Contenders. I've never owned a G2, but everything I've read indicates they are good guns.

l h jenkins
08-01-2015, 01:01 PM
that barrel lends itself to rechambering, if you want to, 17hmr, 17 wsm, 17 hornet, 17 khornet, 17 fireball, 17 Remington. if no interest in 17 caliber rounds it will be an easy sale or trade.

leadman
08-02-2015, 07:24 PM
I had a 23" bull barrel in this cartridge. while it was very accurate it was also very wind sensitive and bullet drop was extreme. My 22lr barrel is more user friendly. I have a Savage left hand rifle in 17 HMR and it is a much better cartridge in my opinion.
Dieter Anschutz said the 17 Mach 2 is the most accurate cartridge he ever fired.

kywoodwrkr
08-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Tatume,I h jenkins & leadman,
Thank you for your responses.
Took inventory of what it would cost to convert stock to wood plus obtain pistol wood and considering I have an 17 caliber barrel to make into a 17 HMR I think I'll let this go by.
I do appreciate the comments however.
Barrel destined to be a HMR may become something else now as a result. ie hornet or K-hornet.
Oh so many things to do and so little time!
Thanks very much.