PDA

View Full Version : Obervations in the casting shop

Mike W1
07-31-2015, 03:21 PM
Been on my mind to pour some test slugs on TELCO lead so went out this AM and got at it. I used to keep the sleeve lead separate from the sheath lead so only had to move a couple hundred pounds to get at it. Previous tests have indicated about 2 BHN difference between the two types but I'd never water quenched any to see if hardness would be affected. That done I'll wait a day, then a week, and then monthly (if I can remember) for about a year. When I get some data collected will do a thread over on lead/alloys.

In the meantime I used my VOM and an ebay TC to measure temperatures. The TC has a 4" probe that is much "fatter" than my Auber 6" probes do. It seemed to me to react to temperature change much slower than my "good" ones do. Auber's Q&A section mentions probe diameter in suggesting what TC type to use when you're measuring air temperature such as in an over. Think my imagination is going to work here when I'm dealing with water or liquid lead alloy???

I hadn't used a ladle for 30+ years till today. And of course spoiled by having become used to setting the temperature with the PID. What a royal pain in the rump to try and maintain some sort of a temperature with a little RCBS cast iron pot over a propane furnace for starters.

I'm used to always having a mallet in hand when casting to cut the sprue or tap the hinge if needed but never figured out how to keep that in hand and manipulate a ladle at the same time. Put one down and pick the other up, etc. Another pain in the bottom fast as I'm concerned.

So if my morning doesn't accomplish anything else it reminded me of why I bottom pour and why I love my PID controllers. And a new found respect for anyone stubborn enough to put up with ladle casting!!!