PDA

View Full Version : Tang Sight Screws for #4 Remington Rolling Block

ndnchf
07-31-2015, 12:18 PM
I've been talking with a machine shop that makes tang sight screws for a lot of different rifles. I asked about making screws for a #4 RRB and Lyman "U" code tang sight. He can make them. I'm going to be sending dimensions and details of what is needed. I have two #4s and two tang sights, so I'm going to get two sets of screws. Price will around $15.00 a set.

This is one of mine installed with makeshift screws.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y493/ndnchf/BPCR/UcodeLymantangsight_zps614c1f65.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/ndnchf/media/BPCR/UcodeLymantangsight_zps614c1f65.jpg.html)

I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in a set? This is not a group buy, I'm just gauging interest that I can pass along to him. He will make a trial set first and send to me for checkout. Once they are right, he'll make more. That's the plan.

I'll pass along more details as things progress.

Is anyone else interested?

enfield
07-31-2015, 09:51 PM
I may be. I know what you mean, the #4 tang sight screw is like no other thread. there must have been some sicko thread guy back in the day that just made up threads to torture people a hundred years later !!

ndnchf
08-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Yes, screws are oddball threads. On the makeshift installation in the photo I made a new threaded insert with modern thread for the tang screw to thread into. It works, but I still didn't have a good front screw.

He tells me that he has the thread specs, but I'm going to send him a set of screws from one of my rifles and one of the tang sights. That way he can make the new screws to fit. I really like these #4s, but my aging eyes need the tang sight. I also have two #2 RRB. Mounting a tang sight is even harder on these due to the curved tang.

Finding the correct tang sight for these rifles is tough, but finding mounting screws is even harder. Hopefully this project will solve part of that problem.

leadman
08-02-2015, 07:31 PM
I have a #4 and installed a Pedersoli tang sight for my Pedersoli 40-65. I used some screws and nuts I had but I did see the correct screws for sale, just can't remember where it was. I'll have to search around and see if I can find them.

ndnchf
08-03-2015, 06:46 AM
I have a #4 and installed a Pedersoli tang sight for my Pedersoli 40-65. I used some screws and nuts I had but I did see the correct screws for sale, just can't remember where it was. I'll have to search around and see if I can find them.

I didn't know that a Pedersoli sight would fit on a #4 without drilling extra holes, can you post a photo? What sight are the correct screws you mentioned for? Lyman, Marbles or Pedersoli?

BCRider
08-03-2015, 12:30 PM
I may be. I know what you mean, the #4 tang sight screw is like no other thread. there must have been some sicko thread guy back in the day that just made up threads to torture people a hundred years later !!

As a home shop machinist for many years the history of metal working has been a side line interest for me.

For the time period that the rolling blocks came from there was a lot of confusion over different threading patterns both in threads per inch count as well as the profile of the thread. Folks and factories at the time knew that they needed standards but there were so many "accepted" standards that it was only marginally better than the older times where there were NO standards. It wasn't until WWI and the need for cross border standardizing of thread systems arms and tooling from one country could be supported in another that the world started pruning away the numerous threading systems and fell into using the widely used Unified Thread System which has given us the UNx series thread standard that served much of the English speaking world for most of the past 100 years.

I know it's bad enough trying to keep track of the UN and metric sizes in my shop today. Can you imagine the confusion at around the end of the 19th century when there were a good half dozen standards in common use that were either becoming mainstream or slowly fading away?

I'll bet that the thread size of the tang is one of the thread sizes or from one of the other systems that was in use but became outmoded during the move to international standardizing of the UN threading system.

leadman
08-03-2015, 12:57 PM
I mounted the Pedersoli sight with a common round headed screws and nut thru the larger hole for the tang sight. Has not moved and works great.
From what I read when I first got the #4 from my aunt the screw dimensions for the tang was only used by Remington. There is a guy on Gunbroker (womacks4) selling reproduction Remington tang sights with a proper screw.
I dug it out of the safe and took a picture. Have been meaning to get some different screws but haven't got 'round toit.145892

ndnchf
08-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the photo, glad you found a way to make it work. Yes, Ken Womack makes a repro of the gallery sight and the special screw that attaches it using the front hole normally plugged with the filler screw. But the head of the screw he makes is too large for the front hole on the Lyman sight base. He doesn't make a longer tang screw that would work with the Lyman base rear hole. The guy I'm working with will make new screws that will attach the Lyman sight base to the tang using the original threaded holes. I'm mailing him my original tang screws and the Lyman tang sight to use in making the new mounting screws. So hopefully they will come out just right.

ndnchf
08-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Good news - the tang sight mounting screws for the #4 RRB arrived today and are great. I mounted my two Lyman "U" code sights without a hitch. They are beautifully made to the original Remington thread size. I sent him an original Lyman sight and he made the screw heads to match too. I'm very pleased. Here are both my #4 with the sights attached with the new screws.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y493/ndnchf/Mobile%20Uploads/Screws2_zpsbe17aa5b.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/ndnchf/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screws2_zpsbe17aa5b.jpg.html)

I have no financial interest in these, just passing along the information. The screws are $15.00 a set and are available from:

Sam Simmons
Simmons Custom Services
email is hoxycarman@hotmail.com