PDA

View Full Version : Holding the Rifle (American Rifleman, 1906)

ohland
07-31-2015, 09:56 AM
Holding the Rifle

American Rifleman, vol 39, 1905-1906

https://books.google.com/books?id=MO85AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA352&dq=%22holding+the+rifle%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CC4Q6AEwA2oVChMIz4bi76OGxwIVxpUNCh18jQ5W#v=on epage&q=%22holding%20the%20rifle%22&f=false

vol 39, No. 3, Oct 26 1905, Page 53

HOLDING THE RIFLE.
I shoot a Winchester schuetzen rifle .38-55 off hand. While the rifle is empty I can hold on the bullseye well, close enough perhaps for quite good work, but as soon as the rifle is loaded and ready to fire I am troubled with a sort of unsteadiness, or shyness, and cannot hold on the bullseye well. I wish to know if other shooters are troubled this way and if any one can suggest a way to over come this. R. ‘C. S.

Our correspondent may find some consolation in the following portion of an essay recently submitted to the General Staff by Capt. F. L. Knudsen, Eighth Infantry.

“It is absolutely impossible to secure complete immobility of the body when firing, no matter what position is taken. When the weight of the rifle is added in the different positions, the position of the body will be still more unstable on account of the greater muscular work required to support the weight thus added. The force that must be exerted by the muscles of the arms to keep the rifle steady is very great. The biceps muscle, which is fastened by its long head to the upper border of the socket in the shoulder blade, and by its other end to the radius, furnishes the principal effort and is subjected to the greatest strain, Which explains why, in the standing position, the left arm becomes tired so quickly.

In the kneeling position the muscular work of the left arm is less than in the standing. The rifle rests on the upturned hand and the weight is transmitted to the bones of the forearm through the bony mass of the wrist. The only action of the hand is the pressure of the fingers on the stock at the trigger guard to keep the rifle in position.

From the foregoing is seen that in order to keep the rifle at the shoulder there are required:
I—The action of a large number of muscles.
2—A particular effort of each muscle.
g—Muscular contractions, varying in nature and intensity, according to each arm.

When we consider besides that the living organism is in reality nothing but an immense colony of cells in a constant state of evolution, transformation, and agitation, constantly combating one another, that the first condition of life is, in fact, motion in even the most infinitesimal part of the human body, how then can it be possible to hold a rifle steady which is supported at one point only of this organism?

The normal eye is accommodated to objects of about twenty feet, and beyond. If the object approaches nearer to the eye than this distance, the more strain there is on it, until a point about five inches from it is reached, when the power of accommodation cannot be compensated for by any further change in the shape of the lens, and, as a result, the rays of light will not be focused on the retina, but beyond it and will consequently be cut by it, thus causing it to receive the image of a circle instead of a point. From this follows that, while the eye will see clearly the top of the front sight and the object aimed at, it is forced, on account of the efforts required by it to place the top of the front sight exactly in the center of the notch of the rear sight, to take in the whole leaf slide on the rear sight instead of the notch there of; the average distance of the right eye, when in the position of aim, was found in measuring it for the members of Company A, Eighth Infantry, to be 15 ½ inches, at which distance the eye is, as seen above, subjected to a great strain in trying to accommodate itself.

An appreciable time elapses, however, from the time the brain receives the impression from the optic nerve until the nerve current reaches the nerve centers of the spinal cord; consequently, some time must elapse between the time the line of sight is seen to be aligned and that of pressing the trigger. The length of time required for the nerve current in the case of sight has been found to be, on- the average, one-fifth of a second. During this time the rifle is affected by the continued oscillations of the body and arms, hence the line of sight cannot be kept exactly on the point aimed at, and will, therefore, not touch- the latter the moment the trigger is pressed. The error in the position of the line of sight may appear to be too small to be considered, but it must be remembered that it is increased by the range. The time required for the muscles themselves to press the trigger must also be taken into consideration. Besides, since we cant regulate the intensity of the nerve current, the contractions of the muscles of the forefinger may be too violent and cause a jerk instead of a gradual pressure, or too weak and consequently cause a loss of time, thus producing new causes of error, in addition to the foregoing.

The physiological mechanism of firing a shot, although generally believed to be simple, is, in reality, very complex, and presents great difficulties to a precise execution. These may. however, be very much lessened, if not obviated altogether, by following conscientiously the course of instruction laid down in our Firing Regulations."

vol 39, No. 9, Dec 7 1905, Page 171

HOLDING THE RIFLE.
I am moved to plunge into the discussion of the above subject, partly because Whitebird in the Nov. 23 issue of SHOOTING AND FISHING failed to find satisfaction in the essay of Capt. Knudsen,— neither did the Kansas City rifle shooters. The writer will give, as plainly as possible, his views on holding, nervousness, and will power.

Whitebird asks the following questions: “Can a person educate his brain to control his nerves and improve his holding? Can improvement be made by any systematic method of any kind?” I am tempted to ask a question or two in answer, after the Yankee fashion. Can a person educate the brain to control his nerves and improve his walking when young, Or his penmanship, or any other act of dexterity? Can a person improve any of his natural abilities to do anything by any kind of systematic practice?

It seems to me the only answer in any case is, yes, without a doubt. I know by personal experience that a person shooting a pistol or revolver can so educate his forefinger that it will put the right amount of pressure on the trigger, from 1 ½ to 3 pounds, as the case may be, so as to fire the shot when the pinhead or other sight comes up to the lower edge of the bullseye, without thought of the matter. It becomes almost an involuntary act, and about as much second nature as to open the mouth when the elbow bends, at the table.

I agree with all Whitebird has said, but think he does not go to the root of the matter. Nervousness is simply a name for the condition of not having the nerves fully under the control of the will_ It is aggravated by various things, known and unknown to the person, and very noticeably under strain or excitement of a match with the rifle. The power of the will over the nerves and muscles is so well established that it seems almost beyond belief that any one could have a doubt of the fact.

if I am not mistaken the original question from R. C. S. was, in regard to what caused his inability to hold steadily when he was ready to pull the trigger, although just before that instant he could hold nearly still on or in the bull.

In my opinion the trouble is accounted for in the following manner. The human brain is incapable of concentrating its whole will on two things at one and the same instant of time; it takes time to think, more than some people would believe who have never had a demonstration of the matter. While the rifle is held well in the bull, we will say in the 23 ring of the German ring target, the shooter thinks that, while the cross-hairs are so near the center, he will pull, and his brain in answer to the command of the will to pull, telegraphs an impulse to the finger to touch the trigger. But something else has happened in the meantime. When the thoughts and control of the will were taken away from the holding and turned to the finger, the rifle was cast adrift with out a guiding rudder and rides the waves in reckless abandon. When the finger finally touches the trigger the cross-hairs are most anywhere else besides on the 23 ring or better. I believe that most of the expert rifle shooters have adopted some system by-which the pulling is done with almost no thought.

The consciousness of the exact instant when the recoil is coming is the cause of flinching. If the shooter could not possibly know when the recoil was coming, he would not flinch to meet it. I have stood behind shooters many times, and I have seen them throw forward the shoulder just as the trigger was pulled; they always wonder why the bullet did not, hit where they were looking.

I am firmly convinced that the whole problem of holding and getting the shot where held may be solved easily by using a rather heavy trigger pull and a steady pressure until the arm is discharged. Do not pay a bit of attention to the pull, but keep your whole will power and all your attention on the holding. If you keep the cross hairs on the 23 ring all the time, all the shots will be found in there, supposing, of course, the rifle is capable of such results. Most people are doing well if they get all the shots in the 12-inch bull at 200 yards, however; but that is a matter of practice or education. I believe there is a right way in theory, and possibly there is no one way that will suit all individuals, but: if one will adopt some method along the lines suggested, and stick to it faithfully for a year 1 will warrant that improvement will be made.

There are some other things that enter into the matter which cannot be passed over. The feet should be comfortable, and the position of the feet upon the floor or ground should be the same each time to have the results alike. There is an angle at which the rifle may be held with relation to the body that is more natural than any other angle, and care must be taken that this angle is the same all the time; otherwise the body must be twisted slightly to bring the aim to the center, and the recoil will effect the delivery of the shot differently every time. The right arm must be held alike each time, or there will be a very great difference in the location of the shots. This latter cause is vastly more important than one would think. The writer has made a series of experiments and is convinced that a slight difference in the angle of the arm will throw the shot several inches out of line at 200 yards. If you have a doubt of it, try it.

Not every one can concentrate the attention on the task at hand, while others are talking, reading, etc., but it is quite a valuable faculty to possess and may be cultivated to an extent. The writer has this power well developed, and it is one of the things for which thanks are due at this season. When shooting the rifle it enables me to lose everything but the cross-hairs and the bullseye. Often I am not conscious of any one else being present. For this reason it makes little difference to me whether it is practice or a match, and I have noticed that my best shooting has been done when in a match and sometimes at the last end where I most needed it.

A friend and myself, when shooting the pistol, used to make a practice of jollying each other on every occasion, until we became proof against the “rattles,” so that side remarks by others made no difference to either of us.

In writing this I do not wish to class myself with the gentlemen and experts named in Whitebird‘s article, but neither do I desire to be classed with the fools. What I have said is the result of some study and thought over the matters which seem to trouble all of us, and is the way I have endeavored to improve in shooting. I hope someone may derive benefit from the suggestions offered.

In regard to recoil from .38 or larger calibers, the experience of Whitebird is the same as the experience of one of our men, as far as recoil is concerned. I find 32 grains of CG King’s Semi Smokeless powder and 7 grains measure of Du Pont No. 1, behind a .33 caliber bullet weighing 224 grains, gives a load that is very pleasant to stand behind. There is no danger of injury to the barrel, and the large air space seems to cut down the recoil very much. My rifle is a Stevens-Pope Remington No. 5 barrel, 30 inches long, mounted with telescope and palm rest, and weighs 15 ½ pounds. The telescope was twelve power, but I have replaced the object glass with one of longer focus which gives me 18 1/2 diameter. With this power I can see very much better than with the 12 power, and do not notice that the wobble is any more Objectionable. I think I am entirely satisfied with the change. Now, will some one else please take the floor.

Elmer Noyes Williams.
Kansas City, Mo.

vol 39, No. 12, Dec 28 1905, Page 255

HOLDING
In regard to the proper method of holding a rifle, I believe that many shoot well and know very little about how they do it. I remember a young man who came to John Hessian last August during the state shoot at Mount Gretna, Pa., and asked him for his secret of making high scores at 200 yards. John said to him: “I’ll tell you all about it. You *have a rifle which shoots well, with sights properly adjusted for wind and elevation. Then you raise the rifle and see the top of the front sight through the center of the peep, with the front sight below the bull showing just a little white between the sight and bull, and then pull the trigger, and you are sure to make a bullseye.

As a matter of fact John epitomized the whole thing right there. But he did not tell him how to hold. There’s the rub. How are we to hold? How to relax and concentrate and squeeze at the proper moment. How does the pianist learn to perform, by getting it all thought out and then going and doing it? No, he practices many months in the endeavor to train his mind and muscles to perform acts which look simple enough. It requires about as much practice to be a fine shot as it does to be a fine pianist, and yet people wonder why they do no better.

In the systematic attempt at learning to be a good shot, two things are essential: First, months of systematic practice with the .22 caliber magazine rifle; second, much practice with the .22 single shot target rifle mounted with a good telescope.

For the man who can hold'well and pull well with the empty rifle, the .22 caliber practice is the surest way to salvation. The ammunition is cheap, and he can shoot anywhere with it, and he can leisurely study out his mistakes. In doing so he should ever keep in mind: First, the focusing of the eye on the bullseye (not on the front sight); second. the position of the front sight in relation to the bullseye; third, the trigger pull.

There must be a concentration of the mind on these three points, and this concentration must last through the act of pulling of the trigger. It then there be failure, if the focus on the bullseye is lost for a moment, the combination is lost and a poor shot is probable. When there is a group of points on which to concentrate, there is a chief point to attend to, and to which the other points must be subordinated. In this case the focus of the eye on the bull is the keynote. When you are able to bring the other points into juxtaposition with it, you are a winner, sure.

I once received a good pointer in pistol shooting from a man who did not know the value of what he said. He said to me: “I can always tell before I shoot, whether I can hit the bull or not, just by looking steadily at it before raising the pistol.”

1 then conceived the idea that by looking intently at the bull before raising the gun, there was obtained a better and clearer view of the bull at the time of the pull, as well as its being a help in the concentration of the mind. At any rate I put the idea to the practical test, with the result that ever since my shots have grouped better than before.

Like the rest of the boys I have tackled the telescope, and can recommend it. There is nothing else which so assists one in steady holding. You can never know how a bull can dance until you look at it through a telescope. There are two ways of learning to use the telescope. One is by hold—hold—holding and waiting for the dance to cease long enough to pull. This can be done all right, but the greatest trouble is that it comes to a halt unexpectedly, when you are taken by surprise, and by the time the finger is ready to pull, the gyrations of the bull have again begun and the bullet lands in the wrong spot.

In this holding the movements of the gun are involuntary, and so long as the bull dances so much I think it much better to set to work systematically to change the movements which are involuntary into voluntary movements. If this can be learned you are able to know an instant before the perfect position is obtained that it is coming, and so the instant it comes at rest the finger acts.

I have been told that Mr. Ittel does not consider himself as particularly good at holding, but is able to touch the trigger at the proper moment. For myself I think that I can hold very well, but my finger is exasperatingly slow, so that in some of my best holding 1 get bad shots. Riflemen should not be surprised when they flinch, for so great a shot as Dr. Hudson tells us that it is often very difficult for him to entirely overcome this tendency.

W. M. Robertson, M. D.

ohland
07-31-2015, 05:12 PM
Holding the Rifle

American Rifleman, vol 39, 1905-1906

https://books.google.com/books?id=MO85AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA352&dq=%22holding+the+rifle%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CC4Q6AEwA2oVChMIz4bi76OGxwIVxpUNCh18jQ5W#v=on epage&q=%22holding%20the%20rifle%22&f=false

vol 39, No. 17, Feb 1, 1906, Page 352

HOLDING THE RIFLE.

I have read with much interest articles written by Elmer Noyes Williams, Whitebird, and Dr. Robertson in answer to my questions published in SPORTING AND FISHING, of Oct. 26, 1905, in regard to holding the rifle.

I feel that I have derived much benefit from the above mentioned gentlemen's remarks on the subject, and I wish to thank each and every one for trying to assist me, also the editor of this paper for his kindness in printing Captain Knudsen’s essay. I recognize the good points brought out by each, but I am inclined to think Whitebird hit my case pretty close when he said my difficulty in holding might be caused from nervousness from recoil and noise of the rifle, and I have very nearly made up my mind to have a Stevens-Pope .32 or .33 caliber muzzleloading barrel fitted to my Winchester schuetzen stock.

I would like very much to see published some accounts of those who have tried Dr. Hudson’s smokeless load in the .38~55 rifle, and I feel this would be of interest to others as well as myself.
R. C. S.

When Whitebird asked whether one could educate himself to control his nerves and improve his holding he did not get a satisfactory reply. The holding of a heavy target rifle with a palm rest is largely a mechanical process, therefore I venture a few remarks on a method of holding steadily, in spite of the facts that my scores do not lend weight to my words.

To begin with, one should stand with the weight about equally divided between the feet, which should not be close together, and one's side should be presented to the target with the shoulders and the line between the feet approximately parallel with the line of fire. This position, with both knees straight, prevents rocking back and forth in the line of fire; to prevent rocking across that line, stand up and keep your weight between the feet. Bent: knees and a crouch do not tend to steadiness. '

One's rifle should then be adjusted so that without conscious effort to hold high, it will not point lower than the bullseye. This is one of the important points. Aside from position, the deciding factors in this are the shape of the stock and the length and position of the palm rest.

It is obvious that in a given position with the same length and position of palm rest a rifle with a straight stock will point higher than one having more drop of stock. In the latter case one has to cramp his right shoulder down and perhaps put strain on his back and side muscles in order to raise the muzzle; this has a tendency to raise the opposite elbow off’ the hip.

The palm rest should be so placed and of such a length that with the fore-arm it should approach a straight line from the rifle to the hip, thereby relieving the biceps from strain to a large extent. It is best to have the palm rest inclined slightly backward.

The picture of F. C. Ross, on page 82, of Modern Rifle Shooting from an American Standpoint, by Dr. W. G. Hudson, shows very good form in standing, and, although he is shooting off his fingertips, shows the straight line from the rifle to his hip, and also that an excessively long palm rest is not required.

Length and drop of stock are as important as anything else in attaining good form, but each individual must work this out for himself. It is evident that a large man needs more inches in every direction than his opposite, and that excessive length of neck may render a factory stock very uncomfortable. The differences in dimensions of factory stocks are well shown in the accompanying illustrations taken from the Winchester catalogue. Lines have been drawn to render them more apparent and a scale provided which tallies closer with the actual instruments.

One’s rifle should be muzzle heavy, so that there will be a good pressure on the hand supporting the palm rest; this causes the hooked buttplate to take a good hold on one’s arm. It is quite possible to hold well with a rifle adapted to one’s person without grasping the palm rest with the fingers and keeping the right hand near but not touching the small of the stock. Having a rifle so fitted, it is not necessary to strain one’s muscles to hold it. Let the rifle do some of the holding, keep your eye away from the sight, and let the rifle recoil rather freely; a fourteen-pound .32-40 will not hurt any one.

One can adapt himself to almost any rifle, but there is a particular form which is best adapted to each individual. Let him seek it. Dr. Hudson‘s advice is to waste no money on a fancy stock until you. have found out what shape is best adapted to you. Follow it.

Many a rifleman has adapted himself thoroughly to his gun, but spoils his work by beginning to aim below the mark and gradually raising, thus spending as much effort on elevation as on line; it is just as bad to begin aiming directly at the bullseye. It is much better to point high in the first place and allow the rifle to settle down on the mark; it will settle some anyhow unless you put forth an effort to resist it. Why not, there fore, take advantage of that tendency, save the effort required to resist it, and devote all your holding energies to keeping- the line. Do this by adjusting the length of your palm rest and drop of stock, so that you may without special effort, hold not lower that the bullseye.

Put your rifle to your shoulder, and without looking through your sights or attempting to aim over them make yourself comfortable, free your neck from our collar, free your arms and shoulders from any binding of your clothing, get your desired grips with both hands and with the armpit, make sure your elbow is secure on the point of your hip (breathe naturally while doing all this), and then take a look through your sights, and your rifle will be found pointed in that direction to which your particular position is best adapted. It will be steady, and you can make a good shot at a center in that direction. Obviously if it is not near the target the proper remedy is to shift your feet, small errors can be corrected by a slight movement of the shoulder at the butt. Practice will render you so expert that you will not often have to shift your feet. Twisting the body, however slightly, is bad.

Breathing in connection with holding is most important. The practice of taking a full breath as soon as the rifle is put up is very bad, because long before you can settle down your lungs begin to heave and it is all off with that hold. In order to make a good shot, go through all the preliminaries at the beginning of the preceding paragraph, and when you are ready to take your first look through the sights, stop breathing on an inhalation (but not a big one). The rifle should then be about on the top of the target and not swinging more to one side than the other, and your position is perfect. Exhale and take a fair good breadth, stand as still as possible, and let the gun settle down. It will steady very quickly and settle in the black, deep in. Pull now! if you can.

The attainment of a perfect position with regard to the target is the main thing. Muscular tension, such as straining the rifle to the shoulder, reaching far out for a palm rest, too far from the action, bent knees, etc., is to be avoided as much as possible, and correct breathing is of the first importance.

GREENHORN.

Our correspondent, whose modesty leads him to write over the name of Greenhorn, has presented a clear exposition of certain principles of holding, with particular reference to the schuetzen or heavy target arm. He is a rifleman of wide experience, who has been most successful in promoting rifle shooting, both through his ready assistance to the novice and in the formation of shooting organizations.

EDITOR

vol 39, No. 21, Mar 1, 1906, Page 430

HOLDING THE RIFLE.

The very interesting and instructive article, entitled Holding the Rifle, by Greenhorn, in SHOOTING AND FISHING of Feb. 1, has brought up in my mind a few questions regarding the height to which a target should be hung, so as to be able to get the horizontal lines as drawn over the rifle in the aforesaid article.

The theories advanced on holding are good, but apply only when the shooter’s eye and the center of the target are on a level plane. A variation in height of the rifle at either the muzzle or the butt would make a great difference in the position described in that article.

The questions I refer to are:
First—Is there a uniform or standard height in use for indoor targets?
Second—Is it practical to have one?
Third—Is it more practical to have adjustable target holders so that the target can be hung at any height for either the short or tall man? In either of the latter two cases a shooter could learn to hold in one particular way and adjust his palm rest and stock accordingly, and his scores on all ranges should be alike.

As a devotee of pistol and revolver work I would like to know if there are any standard rules for the hanging of targets for these arms; and questions two and three regarding the rifle apply to this line of the sport also. As for myself, I have no theory to advance. I can shoot equally bad at all kinds of targets, on any kinds of ranges, with any kind of shooting irons, using all kinds of ammunition, and my scores prove it.

GREENHORN No. 2.

The usual height of the bullseye on indoor ranges of twenty and twenty-five yards, for both rifle and revolver, is from 4 to 5 1/2 feet from the floor level, and marksmen find little difficulty in adjusting their position in holding within the limits mentioned. At longer ranges, up to 200 yards, the target frames, usually four by six feet, are raised above the ground level, so that the bull appears at a similar height as in the gallery; as the distance increases, slight differences in the height of the bull are of course not as noticeable, though ranges with a marked difference in level between the firing point and the target are seldom met with.

EDITOR.