PDA

View Full Version : Ruger?

TXGunNut
07-30-2015, 11:36 PM
Recently bought a Ruger American 17HMR. Before that I bought a Hawkeye in 35 Whelen and gave my 30-06 M77 to my brother. I have a 10-22 Sporter and my first SAA type revolver was/is a bicentennnial RBH in 45 Colt. First handgun was a MKI 22. All excellent firearms, but I don't consider myself a Ruger fan.
My next carry gun is quite likely a lightweight 1911 commander clone with...you guessed it...a funny looking bird on the grip panels. I haven't had a new carry gun in over a decade but this one just seems right. I've had Commanders before but they seem to wander off after a short time. I really like the way this one is configured, if I was to have a 1911 carry gun built it would look very much like this one.
Am I in denial or just a slow learner?
Wonder how busy my friends @ El Paso Saddlery are these days? Seems I'll be needing a good holster soon. ;-)

44man
07-31-2015, 07:56 AM
Last article I read showed it shoots very good. I wouldn't mind one myself.

MBTcustom
07-31-2015, 08:03 AM
Next time I get some extra money freed up, I'm buying that pistol. I want the standard 5" model, but it doesn't matter. It's a Ruger, and it's a 1911. May they be blessed for ever and ever amen.
My only beef with Ruger is that they do not offer a Lever action rifle. That is just terrible.

376Steyr
07-31-2015, 08:43 AM
When my coworkers ask my advice about which brand to get for their first 1911, I tell them to get a Ruger.

Ramjet-SS
07-31-2015, 09:38 AM
Love the Mak I have two CZ82 that I sent to ROBAR for new finish and the added new Wolff spring kits. Great little carry guns and very accurate too boot.

Wrong post in wrong thread sorry. Had one of the 1911 Rugers nice guns but prefer Springfield 1911

contender1
07-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Bill Ruger always said his guns were built for the working man.

goodsteel, Ruger did offer a few lever guns, but slow sales have kept them from becoming as well known as others. I guess since they didn't look like a traditional lever gun,,,,,,!

Tatume
07-31-2015, 10:16 AM
My only beef with Ruger is that they do not offer a Lever action rifle. That is just terrible.

Ruger Model 96 lever action carbines are still around on the used market, though they command a premium price. If it weren't for the crescent butt plate I would own one, but I can't stand the butt plate (and can't afford to restock the rifle).

Most are 44 Rem Mag, though some are rim fire.

Take care, Tom

Blackwater
07-31-2015, 10:17 AM
Just as a FWIW, I have a 4" bbl. Lwt. Compact Kimber, and I'll NEVER carry a 5-shot .38 ever again. That gun conceals BETTER and more comfortably than a 2" .38 snubby. I know. I've carried both. And another FWIW, if you're going to CCW with it, give a good look to Andrews Leather's McDaniel IWB holster. I'd always hated all the IWB holsters I'd ever tried because they were uncomfortable, shifted positions and tended to "print" through a jacket when the butt stood out. The McDaniel overcomes all these, and if I let my belt out 1 notch, it's as comfortable as carrying a gun is destined to be, stays in place, and puts the gun in the right position for the draw. I met Andrews at a gun show early in his career, and he was very personable and very helpful, and simply gave me straight info that jibed with my previous experience exactly. I respect him very much. He truly seemed to want to provide BETTER holsters of very high quality. That's an extra in these days of companies being obsessed with just making a profit, and I highly recommend his leather for anyone. If you have a question, I'm sure they'd be glad to give you good answers about how to carry any given gun to the best and most comfortable effect. FWIW?

Electric88
07-31-2015, 11:21 AM
When my coworkers ask my advice about which brand to get for their first 1911, I tell them to get a Ruger.

I looked at many different brands of 1911s before eventually choosing the Ruger. This was back when they were still very hard to get and I ended up waiting 6 months for it to come in. It was the first Ruger firearm I ever bought, but definitely not the last! I still have it, and love to shoot it :D

Moonie
07-31-2015, 12:14 PM
I don't have a Rugah 1911 but would and have recommended them to friends. Interestingly enough I became a Ruger fan late in life when I purchased a NMBH 45/45 convertible 7 1/2" a few years ago. I now also have a security six 6" stainless that I wouldn't part with. Never cared for the look of the Ruger bolt actions, did like the semi-auto 44mag they put out although I never owned one, had a friend that did.

Anschutz
07-31-2015, 01:06 PM
I love Ruger as well. Probably because dad's deer rifle is a ruger .270. Flayed the barrel and stayed reloading and now his load is a 140 Sierra game king that goes under. 75 moa and really does damage. I have 2, a SBH, 22/45 that I'm looking to trade for a single six soon, and my brother has a 10/22 carbine. Great guns. I'm on the lookout for a Ruger #1 in 45-70. Found one in 458 but that's just more weight and dies. My next 1911 will be the ruger. I had a Sig but sold it. I just never fell in love with it.

GaryN
07-31-2015, 02:35 PM
I have a Ruger SR1911. I have done a few things to it to make it better for me. I like the gun. I am now thinking of the lightweight SR1911 commander for concealed carry. They haven't been out very long. I haven't even seen one yet. But I am interested in one.

taco650
07-31-2015, 03:08 PM

ANYMORE...

I agree with you Tim. It wouldn't have to be a "traditional" styled unit. I'd like to see something that shoots cartridges like 35 Rem, 308, 358, etc. with pointed bullets or boolits.

I'm a Ruger fan too. The first center fire rifle I bought myself (that I still own) is a tang safety model M-77RS in 30-06. Still has the factory irons sights too. I also have standard SBH. I've also had a New Model BH in 357. Right now I'm saving up for an LCP. Nothing wrong at all with Rugers!

Anschutz
07-31-2015, 09:05 PM
ANYMORE...

I agree with you Tim. It wouldn't have to be a "traditional" styled unit. I'd like to see something that shoots cartridges like 35 Rem, 308, 358, etc. with pointed bullets or boolits.

I'm a Ruger fan too. The first center fire rifle I bought myself (that I still own) is a tang safety model M-77RS in 30-06. Still has the factory irons sights too. I also have standard SBH. I've also had a New Model BH in 357. Right now I'm saving up for an LCP. Nothing wrong at all with Rugers!

I here you on your first point. A lever-gun similar to the BLR would be amazing. It'd probably have a rotary magazine or M1A mag though. Seems to be the way they go. Just kidding, they'd make a fine lever rifle. I rented an LCP and don't think my hands are that big but it was soo small. Didn't enjoy shooting it. Would be a decent gun to take running though, or walking for some of those more experienced casters.

TXGunNut
07-31-2015, 11:20 PM
Little gizmo followed me home, seems it's the third time this month something like that's happened. That's it, tho. Absolutely no more guns this month! ;-) Wasn't real happy with the roughness of the slide release and don't much care for the extended safety but other than that it's pretty much the way I'd build one. I've always liked the way a LW Commander feels in my hands even though my other longtime 1911 carry guns are a custom Colt Series 70 and a little Colt Defender. I like the two-tone finish too, always have. I was looking at a case with probably a couple dozen 1911's and the Ruger was closest to what I wanted and there's no doubt it's a lot of gun for the money.
Couldn't wait til I got home to show it off, lol. Sheriff's deputy stopped me for a tag light out, I of course ID'd myself as a CHL and he asked if I was carrying. Told him what and where and of course told him what was in that Ruger box in the seat beside me. He kinda perked up a bit. After the paperwork was done I asked him if he wanted to look at it, he's a Kimber fan so he took me up on it. I was sitting there thinking how odd this all looked but hey, this is Texas after all, lol.
As he was leaving I told my new friend that a trooper had stopped me for a tag light out last year but when I got home it was working fine. We both agreed the trooper was just drunk-hunting. When I got home I did a quick walk-around, tag light a little dim but it was working just fine. Maybe I better wash my car.:bigsmyl2:

DougGuy
07-31-2015, 11:48 PM
I have a bunch of Rugers too and I looked long and hard at their Commander model. If I didn't have sentimental reasons for replacing a treasured Commander that got away some years ago, I would have opted for the Ruger for sure. My old one was a Colt pre-70 series upper on a Caspian frame with top name internals and a Briley spherical bushing, it was accurate and flawless. I jonesed over this one for many years and replacing it with a Ruger just is not the same thing so I got the itch bad enough and used an Auto Ordnance (much improved over their older production too I might add!) lower, and nearly the same Colt pre-70 series upper, and true to the original, a Briley spherical bushing. I tried to clone it in every detail but the rosewood dbl diamond slabs won out.. Let me see if I can post pics without getting them too obnoxiously big..

Ol' girl that got away:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/1911%20Commander/OldCommanderJoined768_zpsefcsyiu9.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/1911%20Commander/OldCommanderJoined768_zpsefcsyiu9.jpg.html)

New girl on the beat:
(And NO I ain't the knucklehead that put all the scratches on the frame, it was used and came with them already installed..) Time for a little glass beading and deep dark bluing..

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/1911%20Commander/NewCommanderJoined768_zpsbiiqkadl.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/1911%20Commander/NewCommanderJoined768_zpsbiiqkadl.jpg.html)

Briley spherical bushing, best 1911 bushing ever invented:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/1911%20Commander/BrileyDSC04313crop480_zpssotn9ntt.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/1911%20Commander/BrileyDSC04313crop480_zpssotn9ntt.jpg.html)

Mytmousemalibu
08-01-2015, 12:30 AM
Never considered myself a Ruger fan at all in the past, perhaps more opposite of fan. But that has changed as I am liking them more and more, don't own any right now but there's a growing list of models I really would like to get. BH or SBH in .44, .454 Alaskan Toklat, GP100 in .327 Fed Mag, Gunsite Scout .308 w/laminate and I have always wanted a No.1, likely in 45-70. Only thing that leaves me with a concerning eye is accuracy of their rifles which I have heard more than once they are giving up for in the quality of the long gun barrels. I may be off-base with that too, correct me if I am wrong!

TXGunNut
08-01-2015, 01:35 AM
Never considered myself a Ruger fan at all in the past, perhaps more opposite of fan. But that has changed as I am liking them more and more, don't own any right now but there's a growing list of models I really would like to get. BH or SBH in .44, .454 Alaskan Toklat, GP100 in .327 Fed Mag, Gunsite Scout .308 w/laminate and I have always wanted a No.1, likely in 45-70. Only thing that leaves me with a concerning eye is accuracy of their rifles which I have heard more than once they are giving up for in the quality of the long gun barrels. I may be off-base with that too, correct me if I am wrong!

I've only had a couple of 77's so really can't speak to barrel quality but I feel it's getting better. My latest (a Hawkeye) seems pretty good but an older 77 is a bit cranky, it happiest when it's cold & dirty. Named it after an old girlfriend.
I don't consider myself a Ruger firearms fan but I'm a fan of Bill Ruger. On the rare occasion I enjoy a cigar I think of him and thank God for sending him our way for awhile. Ugliest gun in my safe is a Ruger MKI. Also a gun I'll probably never sell, sweet little gun. I like the Number 1 as well, if one wanders by chambered for the right cartridge I'll snag it and take it home.
I guess, truth be told, there are quite a few Ruger guns I could care less about and I guess that keeps me from being a Ruger fan.
Back to this little 1911, seems the magazine was causing the slide release to be a bit difficult. May need a bit of smoothing but I think a Chip McCormick mag and a pair of ivory (probably polymer) grip panels will be steps in the right direction. It's a shame you let that old Colt slip away from you, DougGuy. Nice looking grip panels. Should have invested in a pair of ivory panels while I could afford them, lol. Trigger is a bit deceptive, can't get it to trip under 5# but it feels good to me. No slop, takeup or overtravel to speak of. My friends in El Paso will be making me a new belt & holster soon. Don't really need a new belt but I upgraded to floral carving on the holster, may as well get a belt that matches, right?

Mytmousemalibu
08-01-2015, 02:46 AM
I've only had a couple of 77's so really can't speak to barrel quality but I feel it's getting better. My latest (a Hawkeye) seems pretty good but an older 77 is a bit cranky, it happiest when it's cold & dirty. Named it after an old girlfriend.
I don't consider myself a Ruger firearms fan but I'm a fan of Bill Ruger. On the rare occasion I enjoy a cigar I think of him and thank God for sending him our way for awhile. Ugliest gun in my safe is a Ruger MKI. Also a gun I'll probably never sell, sweet little gun. I like the Number 1 as well, if one wanders by chambered for the right cartridge I'll snag it and take it home.
I guess, truth be told, there are quite a few Ruger guns I could care less about and I guess that keeps me from being a Ruger fan.

I think we're on the same page! And as an observer, Ruger's quality and attention to the market has fueled my interest in getting some in my safe. I think the Laminate Gunsite Scout is a beauty and looks handy. Also just neat as it is of the Jeff Cooper faith, a man I am a fan of among many others. Bill Ruger was certainly a pragmatic and iconic person in the world of firearms and brought many great things to life. His passing has also opened up more doors for Ruger too. For example, Bill was adamantly against anything more than 10 round magazines, iirc and supported the "Hi-Cap Ban" in the AWB that Clinton gave birth to. Today they have the BX-25, never would have happened with Bill Ruger at the helm. Pretty funny and interesting story about him as told by Jim Sullivan on the Mini-14 design as interviewed for InRange TV on Full30, check that out if you haven't! I have nearly brought home a No1 and a No3 on a couple of occasions and it may happen yet!

TXGunNut
08-02-2015, 11:57 PM
Little Ruger shot quite well today. Put 150 rounds thru it, even shot about 50 left-handed. Even the magazines performed well. Funny thing is it didn't like two of my Chip McCormick mags, wouldn't lock the slide open after the last shot. Also failed to feed a few but I think it just doesn't like that Lee SWC boolit. Really like the Novak sights, best sight picture I've seen in awhile. I thought I'd warm up to the thin grip panels but I was wrong. Went by Cabelas to pick up a replacement set but didn't find any. I did find a nice set of Hogue burl walnut grips for, of all guns, my Ruger BH. The ivory polymer grips currently on the RBH look a little out of place on a hunting gun and this is the first time I've seen these for sale. Yes, I'm a sucker for nice wood; at least this time there wasn't a rifle involved, lol.
It does have an annoying habit of tossing it's empty cases all over the place and this old fat man very much resents picking them up, lol. I set a Homer bucket in a likely spot but only a few fell into it. Oh well, needs a little polishing here and there. Pretty sure I can get the trigger under four pounds but I really like the way it feels.
I don't enjoy extended sessions with an alloy frame 45 so will have to continue the break-in another time. It's not the handful that my little Colt Defender is but it wore a bit of hide off the thumb joint in the web of my right hand.
All in all, very happy with my new carry gun. A little disappointed in the FTF with the lead boolit but it did fine with some carry ammo that I ran thru it so I'm not too concerned.

DougGuy
08-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Glad you like it! I usually radius, polish, and generally "tune" my extractor which helps a lot in where the empties go, but the biggest thing I found is getting the ejector just right. For Commander, the slide is sprung stiffer, and it is a lighter slide than government, and it's momentum is slightly different. I found these to work best with an extended ejector, with the nose cut off about .080" ~ .100" in front of the main body of the piece and angled slightly inward and upward. When these two items are well matched, it will more or less fill that bucket depending on where you stand..

I found an ebayer who makes his own grips in Kentucky, and for less than $40 I got into a pair of rosewood panels that are very nice. These jumped out at me the first instant I saw them online, and after he reassured me he would pick out a pair that were close to the auction pics, I ordered. They arrived and I was favorably impressed with the choice he made, excellent workmanship, they have a nice feel about them, not at all the cheese grater that some checkered grips are, the fit, feel, and looks definitely did not disappoint!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191279862269?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Auction photo:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/1911%20Commander/RoseWoodDblDiamondGrips_zpsgyv84fdk.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/1911%20Commander/RoseWoodDblDiamondGrips_zpsgyv84fdk.jpg.html)

Grips installed:

(I will get a better photo of mine, the camera makes it look like the bottom diamond is darker, it is not.)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/1911%20Commander/NewAutoOrdnanceColtCommanderLeftSide640_zps734p3kr 9.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/1911%20Commander/NewAutoOrdnanceColtCommanderLeftSide640_zps734p3kr 9.jpg.html)

TXGunNut
08-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the extractor/ejector tips, I went to school on that several (OK, a dozen or so) years ago when I picked up my Colt Defender from a used gun case, lol. Little buggar would bounce every third round or so off my forehead, a very annoying habit. I knew the previous owner and he'd had a bad day at quals, lol. IIRC I bought a longer ejector but no amount of polishing and tuning would make that extractor work so I gave up and ordered it and a new set of springs and a few other things from Colt. It won't put them in the bucket but I don't have to spend much time hunting them.
Think I'll get off my backside and clean that new gun. I think the slide release may need a little attention too.

TXGunNut
08-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Hmmmm...I like those grips. I have diamond grips on my other carry guns but I like his pattern better.

TXGunNut
08-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Gee, when's the last time I did a detail strip on a 1911? :bigsmyl2: Probably about 10 years, been waaaaay too long, lol. Hopefully got the extractor and slide release de-burred, will see next time out. Too late for test-firing tonight. :shock: Couldn't persuade the trigger spring to lighten up so I guess it's time for a Wolff spring. Found a set of 30+ yr old Series 70 grips and it feels much better, even if they didn't help the looks much. Gun was a bit dry, did a little BE shooting a few years and I don't like a dry gun. Seems to cycle a lot smoother now. I think I'll keep her!

TXGunNut
08-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Put another 150 rounds thru the new Ruger, my lefty target much better than my right. Oh, well. ;-) Still doesn't like my Chip McCormick mags, may swap out for another slide release and see how that goes. No obvious issues with the Ruger slide release but I'd rather replace a slide release than most of my carry mags. Only mag that works flawlessly is a Colt 8-rounder and I have no idea where it came from but I think I only have one.
Didn't find any decent walnut grips yet but I've always wanted a blue Commander with ivory grips. Waited too long for real ivory but found a nice fat set of ivory polymer grips and they feel pretty darn good to me, look pretty decent on the two-tone gun as well.

DougGuy
08-12-2015, 10:59 PM
I hunt up the older MecGar 8rd mags, with the folded stainless (nickel?) follower, that have staggered holes in the tube. I have two that are used but the only thing that wears in them is the spring, and I found MidwayUSA carries the ISMI chrome silicon spring in both narrow and wide for narrow and wide followers.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/387353/ismi-magazine-spring-1911-government-commander-45-acp-8-round-38-super-10-round-chrome-silicon?cm_vc=S014

Now I am into a most excellent MecGar mag with a new spring for half the cost of the TrippCobra or the Wilson. The MecGar (with the standard spring that came with it) was flawless in my old Commander edc, it never once failed to feed or fire, and I left that one magazine loaded for years and years so I trust these. Anxious to get back to what worked, EVERY TIME, but with these new springs.

I also have a couple of the newer MecGar 8rd mags with the plastic follower, so far so good will let you know how they do with live fire.

35 shooter
08-12-2015, 11:16 PM
Sounds like you got a keeper in the Ruger. My local lgs trys to keep them in stock and highly reccomends them. Seems they're really selling well here.

taco650
08-13-2015, 09:12 AM
Put another 150 rounds thru the new Ruger, my lefty target much better than my right. Oh, well. ;-) Still doesn't like my Chip McCormick mags, may swap out for another slide release and see how that goes. No obvious issues with the Ruger slide release but I'd rather replace a slide release than most of my carry mags. Only mag that works flawlessly is a Colt 8-rounder and I have no idea where it came from but I think I only have one.
Didn't find any decent walnut grips yet but I've always wanted a blue Commander with ivory grips. Waited too long for real ivory but found a nice fat set of ivory polymer grips and they feel pretty darn good to me, look pretty decent on the two-tone gun as well.

Got pics, of the groups that is?

TXGunNut
08-13-2015, 08:57 PM
Got pics, of the groups that is?

Nope, nothing to brag about there. Mainly working on muscle memory, sight acquisition, grip and trigger control. I had 5 aimpoints on each target so they didn't look like much anyway.

TXGunNut
08-13-2015, 09:05 PM
I hunt up the older MecGar 8rd mags, with the folded stainless (nickel?) follower, that have staggered holes in the tube. I have two that are used but the only thing that wears in them is the spring, and I found MidwayUSA carries the ISMI chrome silicon spring in both narrow and wide for narrow and wide followers. -DougGuy

Agreed on the springs, I gather up all my magazines and replace the springs at least every ten years. Thye really don't cost that much. I'm not afraid to change out the internal springs when they start acting funny either. I've put McCormick followers in a few other mags, they work fine. I like the MecGar mags, from time to time they make the OE Colt mags. I don't think the mags are the problem, a couple of the McCormick mags work just fine.

TXGunNut
08-16-2015, 10:00 PM
"Magazine" issue fixed, swapped the slide release out of one of my Colts and it worked perfectly with all magazines. Ordered a Wilson extended release from Brownells a little while ago. Little buggar shot quite well today. Loaded up some Berry's plated bullets that I had lying around to test the feeding issue. Looks like the throat needs a little work. I just may get this thing "carry-worthy" before the custom leather gets here, lol.

Rick Hodges
08-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Next time I get some extra money freed up, I'm buying that pistol. I want the standard 5" model, but it doesn't matter. It's a Ruger, and it's a 1911. May they be blessed for ever and ever amen.

Well, they did offer a lever action rifle and it was just terrible! So they quit. LOL...:kidding:

Seriously they offered that odd little rotary magazine .44 for a short while but it didn't sell and had problems with limiting cartridge length and a poor twist rate in the rifling. I wish they would fix it and bring it back.

If I was in the market for a 1911 it would be a Ruger. They did a very nice job on these.

MBTcustom
08-18-2015, 10:02 PM
Alright seriously. I am well aware of Ruger's lever action rifle they once offered. My comment was stated in the present tense and that's how I meant it. Barrels can be changed out for something better. Besides, Ruger might just have learned from past mistakes. After all, when they brought back the model 44 in the Deerfield carbine (mini-14 receiver) they issued it with a faster twist barrel (1-20 IIRC) and it shot accordingly well.
Regardless, I think they made a mistake doing away with their lever guns, and I for one would like to see them bring them back. I'm surprised they didn't take advantage of the NY/Marlin crisis and get back in the game while they had the chance.

W.R.Buchanan
08-20-2015, 11:46 PM

Tim: I tried like hell to get Mark Gurney interested in spiriting away Marlin from Remington when they first took over and were sucking badly.

He said they had considered it carefully but decided it was too far away from what they already do, and would require too much engineering time to perfect. He told me they can't hire enough engineers to fill all the spots they have open now.

I agree a Ruger made Marlin would be a nice gun.

Investment casting is a great manufacturing tool, and especially if your facility is one of the two best in the world.

Randy

TXGunNut
08-21-2015, 11:29 PM
Hmmm...a Marlin built by Ruger. I respect their decision and understand (for the most part) the thinking behind it but can they honestly look at the current Remlins without thinking they could have done better?
Dunno why I didn't order a Wolff spring kit for the little SR1911 with my Brownell order. Trigger is down to 4.5 #'s now and I really like the way it feels, guess I'll leave it alone. Shot some pretty decent groups last time out, may have to settle down and see what this gun will do. Brass fell into a 6' circle too, these "old school" guns just need a little shooting to get things sorted out.

TXGunNut
08-30-2015, 03:25 AM
New Wilson extended slide release installed today (after a slight grip mod) and it looks right at home beside the factory extended grip safety. Everything seems to work great on the bench, range trip later this morning. SR1911 just might be a carry gun someday soon!
When I bought my first 1911 almost 35 years ago a wise man told me a 1911 was no more than a kit to build a suitable gun. In most cases that is no longer true, I guess I'm a little picky when it comes to a pistol that may save my bacon someday.

cainttype
08-30-2015, 11:02 AM
"IF" Ruger chambered a 45 Win Mag in a Mini-14 with a 16"-18" barrel... I don't think I could resist that temptation.
I like a lot of Ruger's current offerings. The newer Hawkeye rifles have been a joy to play with, the #1s have always been a favorite (I miss the #3s), and they make nice shotguns... was never a fan of their lever-action, or the P-85 (or similar types).

zarrinvz24
08-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Ruger has come a long way since the 90's. If you ever need warranty service or work they are second to none. A couple years ago I had a 4.2" gp100 that had very difficult extraction on one particular chamber. A quick call to their service department and I had a shipping label (they paid shipping both ways). I dropped it off and had it back in under 10 days. Pretty impressive when you consider it went literally from coast to coast and then back.

TXGunNut
08-30-2015, 11:33 PM
Little SR1911 shoots much better, thanks to a little care package from Brownell's. I put a Wilson extended slide release on it (to match the extended thumb safety, lol) and that cured what ailed it. Had to modify my fat ivory polymer grips a bit, just a half-dozen file strokes and it cleared just fine. Slide release operated properly with all mags (a bit stiff still with the Ruger mags) and slide locks open after last round with all mags.
Even seems to feed better, no FTF's in 100 rds today. Even picked up 50 or so pieces of once-fired brass while I was shooting on the 50 yard rifle range. :bigsmyl2:

TXGunNut
09-16-2015, 11:55 PM
Took a good look at the chamber after reading the "throating" threads. As I suspected, not necessary on the SR1911. Ammo that passes the "plunk test" in my Colts works fine in the Ruger as well.

Char-Gar
09-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Recently bought a Ruger American 17HMR. Before that I bought a Hawkeye in 35 Whelen and gave my 30-06 M77 to my brother. I have a 10-22 Sporter and my first SAA type revolver was/is a bicentennnial RBH in 45 Colt. First handgun was a MKI 22. All excellent firearms, but I don't consider myself a Ruger fan.
My next carry gun is quite likely a lightweight 1911 commander clone with...you guessed it...a funny looking bird on the grip panels. I haven't had a new carry gun in over a decade but this one just seems right. I've had Commanders before but they seem to wander off after a short time. I really like the way this one is configured, if I was to have a 1911 carry gun built it would look very much like this one.
Am I in denial or just a slow learner?
Wonder how busy my friends @ El Paso Saddlery are these days? Seems I'll be needing a good holster soon. ;-)

I don't have one, but those that do are very enthusiastic about the Ruger LW Commander. That titanium feedramp insert is sheer genius. One is on my short list, should extra cash come my way.

TXGunNut
09-17-2015, 10:26 PM
I only talked to one other person who has a gun like this one, he's a kid that works at Cabelas but he seems pretty sharp.
I've spent a lot of time handling, shooting and occasionally working on 1911's over the years and I'm impressed by this little gun. Was a bit disappointed by the slide release not being cut right but it worked out fine, never guessed I'd like the Wilson extended release so well. It solved my problem and it was on sale to boot. Another hundred rounds or so and I'll be ready for that holster from El Paso.....hmmm, still waiting on that little bit of work. :-) Only been six weeks but I did opt for tooling on the holster (and the belt) so it probably wasn't something they had lying around.

salvadore
09-17-2015, 11:23 PM
Wow Tex, I bought a mk1 in 1970 for $37.00, full retail. Have a LW Commander Colt for 25years. Killed bunches of ground squirrels and beer cans and I consider it the perfect 1911. My sonny boy bought a Hawkeye Ruger .223 that out shoots my CZ every day of the week. Good choices Tex.

TXGunNut
09-19-2015, 12:04 AM
Thanks, Sal. My MKI is about ten years newer but I don't recall what I paid for it. $120 comes to mind, just can't say. Don't consider myself a Ruger fan but would be hard pressed to deny it.
Seems I need a little help with my math skills. Bought some of the Winchester Train and Defend .380 ammo tonight, "Train" ammo is $20/box of 50. Then I went to the catalog desk and picked up some Starline brass @ $19/100 and plated bullets for $19/250. Bought another 500 bullets in the store. Looks like I need to buy/cast a bit more to "pay" for my new Dillon goodies, lol.