PDA

View Full Version : M1917 Enfield trigger question

CHeatermk3
07-30-2015, 07:38 PM
I recently acquired a sporterized M1917 Enfield and wish to shoot it in CBA competition. It still has the military trigger; I want to replace it with a Timney "Sportsman" trigger. My problem it that there are 2 options , a 6-round trigger and a 5-round trigger. I'm not sure which I should get as the reviews on them are kinda vague. It seems to me that either one would work

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/581/581285.jpg

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/122/122019.jpg

Can anyone help me to choose which one I need? I could just order both and return the one I don't use but I'd rather not do that.

azrednek
07-30-2015, 08:06 PM
The second link appears bad. I suggest you call Timney if you have any questions. Arizona does not observe daylight savings time. Use Pacific as a guide. However do not expect the same high level quality of service and help of days past. The founder's son sold out and the new guy (and I use the word "guy" questionably) has lost interest in Mauser, Springfield and likely Enfield and like any business following the money wants to sell AR-15 triggers.

As you may have guessed I'm a bit sour. I bought three triggers from the founder's son. The girl working the desk mistakenly sold me a Springfield not a Mauser trigger. By the time I discovered the error and returned. The business changed hands. The flamer errr I mean the new mgmt could have cared less and would not exchange it for the correct part.

Don't get me wrong, have nothing against gays, they deserve the same equal rights as fleas and ticks!!

CHeatermk3
07-30-2015, 08:19 PM
The link should work now--I can't discern any difference between the two--the threaded post on the second image notwithstanding--I think it's just screwed down flush on the first one.

There may be a difference in the height of the mounting pin hole which might result in a slightly lower or higher positioning of the trigger?

Answered my own question--went to Midsouth their description was a bit better--My Enfield has a 6-shot magazine so I ordered from them. Slightly better $$ too.

azrednek
07-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Just a guess. Could one be the US and the other for the Brit Enfield??

Scharfschuetze
07-30-2015, 08:40 PM
Good work can be done with the standard two stage trigger found on most military bolt action rifles. Just pull through the first stage to the second stage and then treat it like any single stage trigger. That first stage takes a pound or two off of the final second stage pull weight.

WineMan
07-30-2015, 10:01 PM
I have never figured out the trigger on my M1917. Long and creepy, and breaks with a 1/16" between the trigger and trigger guard. I swapped parts, smoothed pins, etc. A friends M1917 trigger breaks like a piece of glass. I keep thinking, some day I will figure this out but for now it perplexes me. Love the rifle but the trigger is not so nice.

Dave

Mk42gunner
07-30-2015, 11:30 PM
If you still have the original depth military magazine that will hold six rounds of .30-06, you need the six round trigger. If your magazine was cut down for a slimmer belly on the rifle when it was sporterized, you need the five round trigger.

An awful lot of M1917's had the floorplate straightened and the magazine capacity cut down when sporterizing.

Personally, I rather like two stage military triggers; might be too much trigger time with an M-14, but they work for me. I have a 98a Mauser in .30-06 that has a very smooth 34 oz two stage trigger, it came that way and I never saw the need to try to improve it.

Robert

CHeatermk3
07-30-2015, 11:47 PM
I like 2-stage triggers too...but this enfield's is really bad. There is a coil spring loading the assembly that looks like it came off the rear axle of an F-250 pickup truck. It's also really rough, and I'm no good with little parts anyway..

Hardcast416taylor
07-31-2015, 11:59 AM
If the "belly hump" has been removed by straightening the floorplate shape, then you`ll need a 5 shot trigger . If the "hump" is still there and hasn`t been altered then a 6 shot trigger is called for.Robert

CHeatermk3
07-31-2015, 12:54 PM
6-shot version is on the way from Midsouth--Thanks for all the replies--Mike

azrednek
07-31-2015, 07:57 PM
I know the issue is now moot but I have Bold brand triggers on my two Enfield sporters and they are as good as anything the current mgmt. at Timney produces. Anybody that might follow this thread in the future I suggest you take advantage of the savings and use a Bold brand trigger.

Yes you are absolutely correct in assuming I'm bitter about my dealings with the current Timney staff. My Timney the founder's son. Just like his father greeted everybody that walked though his door as a customer. Today if you walk into Timney's facility you will be treated like a pain in the *** stealing his precious time.

The founders son would never give a walk-in customer a discount. Standing firm, insisting on retail price to protect his dealer network. Politely explaining it was the way he had to do business as a manufacture. He would how ever install and adjust it for no charge while you waited.