PDA

View Full Version : Stainless pot for casting

John Allen
07-30-2015, 12:55 PM
Has anyone tried one of the 16 inch diameter 6 inch tall stainless steel pots for casting? I found a heavy one at home goods and though of using it for my bulk smelting.

Anyone have any opinions either way?

OuchHot!
07-30-2015, 02:42 PM
My major concern are the dimensions. 16" diameter would build weight very rapidly with depth and I would want to make sure it was sturdy enough and well enough supported so as to not deform when full and hot. You would obviously want to ladle it empty as trying to pour would result in a terrifying tidal wave.

John Allen
07-30-2015, 04:11 PM
My major concern are the dimensions. 16" diameter would build weight very rapidly with depth and I would want to make sure it was sturdy enough and well enough supported so as to not deform when full and hot. You would obviously want to ladle it empty as trying to pour would result in a terrifying tidal wave.

I am not worried about the weight. The stand I have built with angle iron. I was more worried about the quality of the stainless with this much lead and would it be able to handle repeated heatings, etc.

OuchHot!
07-30-2015, 04:25 PM
It should be just fine as far as withstanding molten lead, tin, and antimony. Long ago I used a rather light duty 300 series SS pot with a gas coleman and had no trouble.

bangerjim
07-30-2015, 04:27 PM
SST, steel, and CI are the things to use for re-melting pots. NOT Aluminum!

You should be fine. Just insure the handles are riveted on good and tight. And probably NOT pick it up when full of lead!!!!!!!!!!! (if you even can).

banger

JSnover
07-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Forget about the weight if your stand is up to the job. Carry the lead to the pot (why would anyone try to lift or tilt a potful of lead???). By the time it gets too low to dip any more out, it's light enough to lift easily.

John Boy
07-30-2015, 06:26 PM
Anyone have any opinions either way? John, Go For It and Don't Look Back!

bangerjim
07-30-2015, 09:27 PM
Forget about the weight if your stand is up to the job. Carry the lead to the pot (why would anyone try to lift or tilt a potful of lead???). By the time it gets too low to dip any more out, it's light enough to lift easily.

Unfortunately, where there are handles......there are "lifters"!

40-82 hiker
07-30-2015, 09:42 PM
SS is okay for sure. But for my money I would use steel of some fashion (e.g., 20lb. propane tank), as SS is a poor conductor of heat (sic, the copper clad they put on SS pots and pans to distribute the heat evenly). I used to weld SS frequently and it is very easy to see the heat conductive properties of SS when doing so. Another example: this is one of the two reasons we use SS flatware. Put it in a cup of hot coffee, soup, etc., and you can put it in you mouth without burning yourself. The other reason of course is the rust issue.

The SS will work nicely, as MANY people use SS pots, but I prefer using steel for smelting, as it transfers heat more efficiently than SS. JMHO.

John Allen
07-30-2015, 11:02 PM
Thanks all. I am just using it for processing bulk lead and wanted the largest pot I could get to make easier to flux and such.

JSnover
07-31-2015, 05:09 PM
Unfortunately, where there are handles......there are "lifters"!
Had to laugh because it's true.
Lead not yourself into temptation, brothers… Remove those handles for they were surely attached by Satan.