PDA

View Full Version : Bair owners

Grasslander
07-30-2015, 09:02 AM
I am going to have some of the round, 1" vinyl decals made up to be able to replace or add to presses, measures, etc.
I don't really know how many to have done ...

I have a complete, unbroken, plastic primer assembly that's for Brown Bair presses.
Do you think someone with a 3D printer could make some copies for replacements? They could use mine for a template.

Just throwing this out there...is there any interest in this?

Grant

Wayne Smith
07-30-2015, 03:58 PM
If someone could replicate it strong enough to use I'm in for one. The primer assembly, I mean.

LUBEDUDE
07-30-2015, 03:58 PM
I would be up for at least one primer assembly, maybe two if the price is reasonable.

And I would go for 4 or more of the decals.

Thanks!

salpal48
07-30-2015, 06:50 PM
I would be in for 2 and for 4 decals or so
Sal

seagiant
07-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Hi,
Harley Bair would be proud!!!

Grasslander
07-30-2015, 08:03 PM
The decals I can handle, but the 3D printing is something else.
I don't know anyone with a printer, it was just an idea. That's why I offered my primer assembly as a template.
I was hoping maybe one of our members had a hook up with someone that did have a 3D printer. Sorry if I implied otherwise.

salpal48
07-30-2015, 08:23 PM
There Is a Member Here that was selling Die wrenches That was 3d printed This was a short time ago. I don.t know anything about 3d printing
I used a Company Called Shapeways To buy a Part They Had Listed..

EDG
08-02-2015, 06:20 PM
for a 3D printer you need a 3D model which is basically a fully dimensioned 3D solid version of a 2 D drawing.

The model is how the printer gets the data to make the part.

Wayne Smith
08-04-2015, 01:00 PM
for a 3D printer you need a 3D model which is basically a fully dimensioned 3D solid version of a 2 D drawing.

The model is how the printer gets the data to make the part.

He has an original. Isn't that adequate? Real question, I don't know how these things work. Does it need an electronic model or can that be made from a solid one?

Wayne Smith
08-14-2015, 07:42 AM
Grant, let me do some research. My LGS has one. I'll have to talk to them about how they do it and costs.

Wayne Smith
08-16-2015, 01:20 PM
I talked to the guys at my LGS. As EDG said, but more complete. Each piece of the assembly needs to be carefully measured by someone who can write a 3D program that describes it that the printer can read. This would typically be a 3D AutoCAD program. I don't know if you know someone who can, or if there is someone who has the ability to lazer measure the pieces and add that to a program.

If I had it I would be taking it to my local Community College. If they do not have the capability (and I doubt that they wouldn't) they would know who would. It might become a learning project for them.

Grasslander
08-17-2015, 09:56 PM
I talked to the guys at my LGS. As EDG said, but more complete. Each piece of the assembly needs to be carefully measured by someone who can write a 3D program that describes it that the printer can read. This would typically be a 3D AutoCAD program. I don't know if you know someone who can, or if there is someone who has the ability to lazer measure the pieces and add that to a program.

If I had it I would be taking it to my local Community College. If they do not have the capability (and I doubt that they wouldn't) they would know who would. It might become a learning project for them.

That is interesting. I will try to find the time to go to our Community College. This could turn out to be a learning experience for me, as well.

The whole idea of 3-D Printing is amazing. So many possibilities....

EDG
08-22-2015, 12:54 PM
It is adequate if you want to pay a 3D solid modeling designer to have the part measured so he can model the part in a computer.
figure on 2 or 3 hours at $50 /hr. unless you have a friend that will do it gratis. The printer can't do anything without the solid model data.
The data is the same thing as the program used to control a CNC machine tool.

The out put file used to be called an IGES file. I have not worked with CNC programmers in the last few years so it could have changed. Because of the standardization of the IGES file format you can use almost any 3D solid modeler worth a flip including
Pro E, Solid Works, HP Solid designer, Unigraphics and some others.

Usually something with many arcs needs to be measured on a CMM, Faro Arm or large optical comparator.
A Faro arm is relatively fast and a CMM can be ran with a joystick or program.

Once the designer get the data he will create the solid model with is a 3D solid representation of the part and requires a lot of calculating to generate the geometry. Hint - the early Pentium machines could just barely run these programs.
Don't be surprised that the designer finds arcs and lines that are not tangent and other errors on the part that was measured.
Then you have to tell the designer how to fix the geometry or let him since it is so simple.

Once you have the IGES file it is used to generate the data for the 3D printer.
I worked at companies that used the earlier laser systems (SLS or SLA) to make the 3D parts so the design engineers had something to help communicate with a PHD or MD easier.

Once you get the data the printer can print as many as you think you can use or sell.
but guard your data with your life so you do not have to do it over.

He has an original. Isn't that adequate? Real question, I don't know how these things work. Does it need an electronic model or can that be made from a solid one?

Uncle Jimbo
08-22-2015, 02:21 PM
That is interesting. I will try to find the time to go to our Community College. This could turn out to be a learning experience for me, as well.

The whole idea of 3-D Printing is amazing. So many possibilities....

The local High Schools around here have 3D printers. Might want to check the ones in your area also.