PDA

View Full Version : Material substitute needed

waksupi
07-29-2015, 11:27 PM
The small panel that holds the plug end on my Lyman pot is broke. I don't know if it was mica, or what. Any suggestions on what to use for a heat resistant non-conductive substitute?

VHoward
07-29-2015, 11:41 PM
A piece of Formica? The Formica that is not glued to a countertop yet. If you go to a company that does countertops and tell him what you need, they will probably have a piece of scrap you could have.

RoyEllis
07-30-2015, 12:03 AM
How about a piece of printed circuit board matl? Does this piece go up real close to the pot where it'll get full heat from the element? I know G-7 glass silicone phenolic will stand approx 425 degrees but you'll need to use diamond tipped tooling to drill or machine it, otherwise your probably looking at alumina-ceramic material....maybe use this http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cable-sleeving/=y9sbh5 to cover a metal pc & shield it from being conductive?

bangerjim
07-30-2015, 12:09 AM
Formica generally carries a temp rating of 275F or so. If you pot area does not go above that, you will be good. Mica was probably used because it is a VERY high temp mineral.

Do some checking.

banger

labradigger1
07-30-2015, 12:25 AM
Sheet Mica is available. Used for microwave repair.
Just google "sheet mica"

waksupi
07-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Keep the ideas coming. I think I may have a piece of formica somewhere, so will give that a try first.

Ole Joe Clarke
07-30-2015, 10:48 AM
I just went through this, never did find a replacement. It is mica, which Lyman does not supply any more. I tried fiberglass circuit board and the heat just burned it up. I finally just packed some fiberglass insulation in the hole, pulled the wires out and "straight wired" it, then taped everything up. I also put a piece of aluminum foil between the connections and the pot to help keep it cool.

A modern replacement would be ceramic, but in that size is tough to find. I wonder if a person could take a piece of ceramic tile and make it work? Drilling the holes will be a pain.

Wayne Smith
07-30-2015, 03:55 PM
Drill holes in ceramic with diamond bits. Easily available on eBay.

popper
07-30-2015, 04:07 PM
Formica and PC board are not even flame proof. Don't use it - really bad smoke. Asbestos will work as will mica and fiberglass insulation.

bangerjim
07-30-2015, 04:10 PM
Asbestos????????????? Where the heck are you gonna find that these days, what with all the greenies prowling the planet!!!!!! :veryconfu

Best bet is mica or ceramic. Or totally rewire as mentioned above. That would be my approach.

You can get diamond bits a HF.

banger

Yodogsandman
07-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Gasket material used for exhaust systems??

wv109323
07-30-2015, 10:40 PM
I took what was left and filled it with JB Weld. Then redrilled for the terminals. This was the third fix on the board. I used the mica on the first two repairs.
The wire terminations to the element and thermostat and the cord/plug is a losing battle on the Lyman. I went with a PID and used two connections to the heating element. It is the best money I ever spent. First for the increased reliability and the improved temperature control during casting. It made an unbelievable difference.

Minerat
08-07-2015, 12:02 AM
Waksupi

Attach a picture of what you need with some dimensions. I might have a source for mica pieces found in a mine I work on, but would need to know how wide and long is needed so I scrounge a piece that might work. You would have to flake off a piece to get the depth, if I can find a piece that meets the width and length. This mine was a source for isinglass used in boiler fire box doors or furnaces. It may take me a little time to get it since I am not at the mine much but it would be free so the price is right. If you're lucky I have a couple of pieces in my rock collection that might work and I can send right away but don't hold your breath.

waksupi
08-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Waksupi

Attach a picture of what you need with some dimensions. I might have a source for mica pieces found in a mine I work on, but would need to know how wide and long is needed so I scrounge a piece that might work. You would have to flake off a piece to get the depth, if I can find a piece that meets the width and length. This mine was a source for isinglass used in boiler fire box doors or furnaces. It may take me a little time to get it since I am not at the mine much but it would be free so the price is right. If you're lucky I have a couple of pieces in my rock collection that might work and I can send right away but don't hold your breath.

A member has sent me some ceramic material, need to pick it up at the mail box today. If it doesn't work out, I'll give you a shout!

Ole Joe Clarke
08-07-2015, 08:40 PM
A member has sent me some ceramic material, need to pick it up at the mail box today. If it doesn't work out, I'll give you a shout!

I'm interested in how this comes out. Please post results.

Thanks

Minerat
08-07-2015, 10:28 PM
Waksupi,

That works for me. I checked some samples I had and found pieces of mica from 1.5x3x0.1 inches and to 3x5x0.23 inches it could be flaked thinner if needed. These samples have some weathering and may be too loose for what you need but I should be able to find a sample that is firmer with a little scrounging.

Echo
08-13-2015, 11:18 AM
I have the same problem with one of my furnaces. My choice for a repair is to hard-wire in a short (2' long) piece of lamp cord with a plug on the end and hook into my PID.

akajun
08-13-2015, 02:05 PM
find a piece of carbon fiber sheet, I had a streetbike muffler made of that stuff once, I could run that bike like hell and grab the muffler with my bare hand.

farmerjim
08-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Automotive brake liner.

waksupi
09-06-2015, 10:32 AM
I found out a diamond drill will not do the job on ceramic!

farmerjim
09-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Some of the carbide ceramics have a Mohs hardness of 10, the same as diamonds.

OnHoPr
09-06-2015, 11:43 AM
http://www.professionalplastics.com/HighTemperaturePlasticsMaterials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpEPVLOX4Gc

I am not sure of the size & thickness of your application or the necessary heat resistant requirements, but maybe a piece of bakelite would work. There are many kinds though. You can get it from ebay relatively cheap. A piece of asbestos would work as well, but I found out you may not be able to find it on the net. You may be able to find in a talk of the town in your neck of the woods. As mentioned before a pic would probably help. If the piece is small enough, maybe an old pan handle could work. An old disc brake pad maybe.