PDA

View Full Version : Lee Load-Fast

Vinne
07-29-2015, 07:29 PM
Does anyone still have a Lee Load-Fast. I have read here that it needed a lot of modifications and never worked right. I just think the concept is ahead of it's time. I wish I could get one and see it in action for myself. I love to take something not working and piddle with it and make it work. At the very least, have a piece of art-history.

1bluehorse
07-29-2015, 07:49 PM
I had a couple of them in the past (waaaay past).....mine never needed any "modifications" for them to work. The biggest problem with them was they were on the "flimsy" side....pretty much all plastic and if you "horsed" on them at all something would probably break....if you were a bit careful with one they would load pretty darn good shells.....but if I remember correctly (and I could definitly be wrong) Lee recommended every other station when in progressive loading....there were a couple other "quirks" but I don't recall them off-hand, just remember there was a couple other things you had to watch out for.....(IF) you can still find one in good condition I certainly wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for it...........and only as a curiosity.....(course I've already owned a couple so my curiosity is satisfied..[smilie=f:)

r1kk1
07-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Mine didn't last 30 days till I mailed it back. That was over 30 years ago. Indexing was the main issue. It was not Lee's shining moment.

take care

r1kk1

Zaneiel
07-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Wow Lee had a shining moment? it musta been when they made my Lee Pro 1000 because it worked pretty good for the first 3 years but now it needs alot of fidgeting to get it smooth :)

Moonie
07-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Wow Lee had a shining moment? it musta been when they made my Lee Pro 1000 because it worked pretty good for the first 3 years but now it needs alot of fidgeting to get it smooth :)

When kept clean they work pretty well. Wasn't it CowboyT, "San Francisco liberal with a gun" that did a series of video's about this very thing? Gotta take the carrier apart every now and then and clean it really well or you will start to have issues.

jrap
07-30-2015, 11:44 AM
My Lee progressive never worked right. If I had to do it over again I'd just save up for a 650 B or Hornady lnl

Vinne
07-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Keeping equipment clean is the name of the game. Dust, dirt, lube and whatever is the reason to stop and take it apart every 5 to 10 k rounds.

As far as the Load-Fast, I would be happy even if it didn't work just to have one for my collection. I do have other reloaders but am fascinated with the value and simplicity that Lee products exhibit that make them ahead of their time.

toallmy
07-31-2015, 03:45 AM
I still have one .l went from a load all to a load fast then back to the load all.never could go progresive with the load fast.but it worked fine one at a time all the way around.it puts the final crimp on for smooth operating in a auto.but when I got my first mec 9000 wow that's nice.l like that the Lee's come with all the bushings though.

r1kk1
07-31-2015, 08:52 PM
As far as the Load-Fast, I would be happy even if it didn't work just to have one for my collection. I do have other reloaders but am fascinated with the value and simplicity that Lee products exhibit that make them ahead of their time.

Ahead of their time? Seriously? Do a patent search and you will find that there is nothing really new or innovative. Just rehashed older products that were forgotten about or the patent has run out.

Examples:

The Lee trim die that screws into your press. Look through the threads and Pacific had one about 1960s, I believe I found an earlier patent to a private individual earlier than that.

RCBS Summit. The most versatile single stage press I own. It allows me to use arbor dies as well as conventional dies. It very much resembles the Wamadet press no longer in production in Europe.

These are just two examples. There are many more.

When it comes to progressive shotshell reloaders I look towards Spolar, Ponsness Warren and MEC. I did not have good luck with the Hornady Apex and sold it for parts when I could not get parts for it. I don't care to tinker with equipment but the loads. I didn't care for the Load-All either. Lee honors their 30-day warranty if bought from them. I've used it many times. My single stage is a Ponsness Warren 375 and it handles all the gauges. I use a bushing adapter to use MEC bushings to fine tune a load.

I'm not a Lee basher, I've paid money and if it works it stays, if not goodbye. Sadly, I've done this more with Lee than any other reloading company.

take care,

r1kk1