PDA

View Full Version : Kuharsky scope mount information needed

quack1
07-28-2015, 12:31 PM
I bought a rifle that has a B&L scope in a Kuharsky mount. I'd like to remove the scope from the mount because it doesn't seem to have been installed correctly by the previous owner. The elevation screw is so stiff it takes me both hands on a screwdriver to make a slight movement. ( And, yes I loosened the screw on the opposite side first). Also the scope isn't seated completely in the rear ring, I can pass a piece of paper between the scope and the bottom ring, from ring screw to ring screw. The ring screws are as tight as they will go, but there is still a prety good gap between the top and lower ring. Something isn't right with the installation, but I don't remember enough about these mounts to know what to do to remove and re- install this one correctly and without breaking anything.
I do seem to remember that you used the scope to slide and compress a spring located under the rings to get the scope out of the mounts. However, I can't get the scope to budge, forward or backward. There is also a screw located under the rings on the rod that I think contains the spring that needs compressed, but since I'm not sure what it holds I haven't removed it, not wanting to launch a piece across the room.
Does anybody have the instructions or a schematic that they could scan, or take a picture of, and email?
Here's a picture of the left side of the mount, showing the large gap between the upper and lower rear rings and the screw that I'm not sure of it's purpose.
Thanks

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/1quack1/IMG_0006_1.jpg

leadhead
07-28-2015, 12:49 PM
I had one of those mounts on a Rem 700 years ago and to remove it, you pull the
scope straight back and lift up on the front of the scope. The adjustments should
not be that hard to move. It was a very neat system at the time and made a very
good set-up for hunting, but for precise target shooting, it wasn't worth a damn.
You might want to use a little kroil oil on it to loosen things up.
Denny

Ballistics in Scotland
07-29-2015, 03:41 PM
I have these mounts and a Bausch and Lomb scope on my Mannlicher-Schoenauer. It isn't as old as the 1926 rifle, but seems in keeping.

They were sold under the name Kuharsky and later (I think) Bausch and Lomb. On eBay the latter are far more common. I like this system very well, but after range zeroing, it should never need to be adjusted during a hunt. I wouldn't trust it for an aluminium tube, but with steel the adjustments seem pretty reliable. You keep the adjustments in the mount, and can easily transfer one scope among many rifles. No prizes for guessing why they discontinued that.

There are two different types of ring. Some have the lengthwise plunger shown in the picture above, and others have a flat spring. But they dismount in much the same way. I would guess that one of the ears of the mount has been bent, which would take an extremely heavy knock, or someone has made a ham-handed job of adapting a mount for a rifle to which it wasn't intended.

Popular ones, or those for rifles otherwise difficult to mount, can be expensive. The thought of the Mannlicher-Schoenauer mount makes my eyes water still. But others, unidentified ones or one part only of a two-piece mount, can be cheap. I think the spindles and dials are interchangeable in most cases.

quack1
07-30-2015, 12:49 PM
Found the problem with the scope mounting. I unscrewed all 4 ring screws and removed the scope. The spring loaded plunger was tightly wedged under the elevation adjustment spindle. That kept the elevation screw from turning and kept the rear ring screws from tightening completely. The only cause I can see is that, previous to my buying the rifle, somebody tried to remove the scope by unscrewing the rings and that let the beveled plunger slide under the elevation spindle and get wedged in. Kind of wonder if the previous owner didn't know any better, and just shot it as is.
I saw quite a few Kuharsky mounts when I worked in the bluing shop. Kuharsky Brothers shop was in Erie Pa., about 100 miles from here, so their mounts were pretty common. Most customers removed the scope but left the mounts, before bringing a gun to be reblued, so I rarely had to remove the scope/ring assembly. After 40 years, I simply forgot exactly how they worked.

MAXDRAM
08-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Found the problem with the scope mounting. I unscrewed all 4 ring screws and removed the scope. The spring loaded plunger was tightly wedged under the elevation adjustment spindle. That kept the elevation screw from turning and kept the rear ring screws from tightening completely. The only cause I can see is that, previous to my buying the rifle, somebody tried to remove the scope by unscrewing the rings and that let the beveled plunger slide under the elevation spindle and get wedged in. Kind of wonder if the previous owner didn't know any better, and just shot it as is.
I saw quite a few Kuharsky mounts when I worked in the bluing shop. Kuharsky Brothers shop was in Erie Pa., about 100 miles from here, so their mounts were pretty common. Most customers removed the scope but left the mounts, before bringing a gun to be reblued, so I rarely had to remove the scope/ring assembly. After 40 years, I simply forgot exactly how they worked.
Hello,
I inherited a Mannlicher–Schönauer (1950s) with a BALVAR scope mounted on a Kuharsky mount, like yours. The scope was shot, sent it back To Bushnell for repair, no joy. Got a replacement BALVAR scope off of E Bay, Now am having trouble getting it mounted. The lower ring set, plunger base I left as it was. The spring loaded plunger rested below the lower rear screw (adjustment) stud, extended. It would not remove without taking the plunger out of the housing. Installing it required replacing the plunger into the housing after placing the housing onto the fixed base.Any advice regarding installation would be greatly appreciated. I could find nothing on the net...blogs or instructional manuals. Thanks. 146390

MAXDRAM
08-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Another picture, plunger and housing removed from base. 146393

MAXDRAM
08-11-2015, 11:56 AM
146394 One more.

MAXDRAM
08-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Problem is...once housing base is installed...it is loose under the front and rear screw studs. Apologize for the fragmented extended posts.