PDA

View Full Version : Massive Tin find

brassrat
07-28-2015, 01:22 AM
Place has 100's of lbs. of tins rails or something. Told me $8/ lb. I saw the gun and was 99.5% or something. I may be able to do better with them. What should I do? Me Tin/honcho?

bruce381
07-28-2015, 02:48 AM
ahh buy it

imashooter2
07-28-2015, 06:54 AM
Do you need 100 pounds of tin? Price is a little high to flip it.

PbHurler
07-28-2015, 06:54 AM
Honcho, honcho, honcho :kidding:

1980Harley
07-28-2015, 06:57 AM
Don't hesitate too long to purchase it or else you may get lose out.

brassrat
07-28-2015, 10:52 AM
I am in good shape with tin, just hate to see this get recycled to another recycler. At $8 it is high, AT THIS TIME.

bangerjim
07-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Buy what you can afford. I grabbed 450# of it last year.....at standard scrap Pb prices!

Nice to never worry about adding Sn to you mix!

banger

brassrat
07-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Bangers set too, that #&@*!& Scrap PB prices? you ^*@!%&. My new contact at the recycler might have sold me, at those prices, but I am such a @*%@!* that I think I educated him. I come in,yesterday, with a newly minted tin ingot that was kind of yellow and tell him I just bought it and thought it was gold. The kid laughs and says its tin.

Buck Neck It
07-29-2015, 01:10 AM
Ya got to get up real early to beat the Banger.

RogerDat
07-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Toss up, but I don't think I would purchase with much thought of resale at profit. Might be $2 a lb. there at best. Pewter has been under $10 of late.
IF you get $10 a lb. for it, then you get every 4th lb. for $2 ($32 purchase 4# sell 3 for $30) Means you have to sink $160 and sell 15 lbs. to get yourself 5# for $10 Hmmm. seems to me that is a lot of investment & effort for $50 worth of pewter in S&S forum.

Not trying to discourage you, know what you mean, hate to see some premo casting material go end up as printed circuit boards or something.

Is something to be said for sinking a chunk of cash at once to not have to worry about your own supply for a long time. How long would 10 lbs. of tin last you? And is $80 not an out of the question expense?

Me I like getting solder at scrap lead prices, not as nice in terms of clean material but the price is easy to take. Just requires checking often and a little luck and it all adds up.

brassrat
07-29-2015, 11:18 PM
Well I went back and the guy said the tin is like $12/lb. I found a bunch of good pewter, all major damaged and it was the same. I did get 16 lbs of 55/45 solder for $12 though. He said no more thou.

RogerDat
07-31-2015, 06:22 PM
I guess if they are going to sell it to their normal buyers at that price then can't complain but I do hate it when the price is somewhat higher because they know how it will be used. One place treats solder as lead, same price because if they sell it wholesale it goes out in the lead bin. And pewter is "lead" as far as they are concerned. They know solder and pewter are worth more to casters but don't screw us over. So.... guess who gets a lot of business? And we casters will pay more per lb. for lead than a wholesale buyer that is for sure.

So if I pay an average of 30 cents more per lb. and have a ton of lead how much "extra" profit did you make having me as a customer over selling it wholesale?

triggerhappy243
08-02-2015, 04:17 AM
once I get rolling again casting, i will need some tin. round here the consignment shops think pewter is gold and priced accordingly.

bangerjim
08-02-2015, 11:51 AM
once I get rolling again casting, i will need some tin. round here the consignment shops think pewter is gold and priced accordingly.

You are in the same boat as I am over here in AZ. Junk stores price even junk pewter very high. Only place I find it is the occasional piece in the lead bin at my local scrap yards. Hope your yards over there will let you in.......many are reporting yards will not sell to individuals.

Best source for Sn is right on here! S&S.

PM me......I can spare some!!!!!!

bangerjim

RogerDat
08-02-2015, 01:24 PM
+1 on both of Bangers points. Some yards won't sell to public, you may have to search around and expect some friendly competition from other casters at those that will.

Swapping and selling is how supplies get from where they are more available or reasonably priced to those caster in less favorable supply areas. Prices tend to be reasonable too. With new rules limiting the amount one can list as a "casual" seller for free you might be best off posting in Wanted to Buy forum, plenty of offers should roll in on whatever casting alloy you need. That is if you don't get what you need from Banger.

One Salvation Army has pewter things sometimes, bowls and candle sticks fairly normal prices such as one would see for nice brass items. Depending on weight and if weighted with foreign material can be worth buying. Another branch store I sometimes go to will be selling a small badly dented WEB full of glue weighed candle stick for $6. I hardly ever find a deal there, about the only time is when it is Zinn marked and they don't price as pewter.

Oh in scrap yards sometimes pewter is tossed in the Cast Metal bin, along with faucets and cast metal parts. Found some good stuff there before.

brassrat
08-04-2015, 11:07 AM
We have a thrift store here with all kinds of items, cheap. I spotted a perfect, old, Hummel for $5 and gave it to Mom. Finding a lot of pewter, too. from $4-8 an item. The scrapyard is greedy, with the tin, all of a sudden. I need to get more pure before they ruin that.