PDA

View Full Version : 8mm Lebel Case Trimming and the Lyman Accutrimmer?

newfoundlander
03-28-2008, 09:51 AM
A friend of mine just acquired a nice 1886 and is looking around for a case trimmer that will readily accept the oversize rim diameter. The Lyman Universal is to small as are the standard models from Forster, RCBS etc. The Trim Pro II can be used if a 348 Win shell plate is opened a tad but he would like a cheaper option. Before I got a custom shell holder for my CH4D trimmer I made do by chucking a Lebel case into the collet housing from the rear and securing it with the handle & collet. Although it worked it wasn't that great of a solution as set up was finicky and I did get a few cases that were cut way out of square. A few years ago I was speaking with a bloke who got Lee to make him a trim gauge and he was less than enthusiastic as shipping to our neck of the woods on top of the gauge set him back the price of a good used trimmer on eprey.

I've had a look around and was wondering if the Lyman Accutrimmer would be a prudent choice. It accepts standard shellholders and quite a few of these turn up on the used market. Some folks curse on these yet there are others who are less critical. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.
[/I]

KCSO
03-28-2008, 03:28 PM
I use the Lee trimers in an old yard sale 1/4 horse drill press. The drill perss cost $12.00 and has trimmed a load of cases.

smokemjoe
04-11-2008, 10:45 AM
I have a wilson, I made a new holder for my 8 MM lebel cases, One for unfired and then I made one for fired brass, Bored it over size and poured lead around it in the holder, I bored out A #4 Collect for my Forster also, But it wore out soon, Hope this helps. JOe