PDA

View Full Version : Powder scale??

leadhead
07-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Anybody know how to calibrate a Hornady powder scale?
Short of using a Jacketed bullet of know weight, which
is not that accurate. I don't have any weights that are
in grains.... Any info would be great.
Denny

Bull Shoals
07-27-2015, 04:50 PM
RCBS has check weights for sale and you might check with them. I have them and use them.
Cat # 98990...Standard scale check weights...$32.95
Cat # 98992...Deluxe scale weights...$55.95
Above from old cat so prices might be off.
RCBS customer service...1 800 533 5000.
No I do not work for them.
Ken

JSnover
07-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Do you have any in ounces?
http://www.asknumbers.com/OuncesToGrains.aspx
437.5 gr./oz

salpal48
07-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Weights and Jacketed Bullets are not a Necessity to Calibrated a Beam scale I do not have a Hornady . I use Ohaus.
level the scale
Place proper pan and Pan support system on the Hook
move all weights on beam to Zero.
If it does Zero out that it. If it does not zero. The pan with The support Is either too Heavy or too light. This Is a trial and error method. Generally there are lead shot in the base of the Pan support. . You can add or subtract by that method.
If the pan support is too light move the 10th grain slide . to determine how much You off.. If your off place a small piece of tape on bottom of support and repeat if ness.or add weight inside the pan support
Once you do it a few times you will get the hang of it
If there is no weight in the support. you may have to slightly file the edge or handle of the pan. Not alot just enough to attain Zero
The average reloding scale Is not very precision. Unlike triple beam or analytical balane with 1/000 Of Miliagrams

44Vaquero
07-27-2015, 05:16 PM
Salpal48's directions are correct for the most part. Hornady's beam scales use set nuts on the end of the beam to zero against the opposite end of the poise.

JSnover
07-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Anybody know how to calibrate a Hornady powder scale?
What exactly do you mean when you say "calibrate"? Is it reading way off from what you think it should? Is it damaged? Or do you just need to get the empty pan back to zero?

leadhead
07-27-2015, 07:12 PM
I weighed some cast bullets on it and they all weighed 160 grs.... I took them to my buddies

and on two different scales he has, they weighed 168.3 + or - 2 tenths. Seems 8 grs is a hell
of a difference. My scale is zero'd out with everything set to zero. I've had this scale for years
and have never noticed a difference before.
Denny

JSnover
07-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Could his scale be reading a little heavy? For this purpose you could use a Sierra Match King or other top-shelf bullet. If you put a 168gr SMK in your pan it should easily weigh 168 +/- .2gr, (probably less than that but I haven't loaded them in so long I can't remember exactly). They sure as heck won't be 8-10 gr off their published weight. Then you'd know which scale is lying to you.

country gent
07-27-2015, 08:29 PM
I have 2 sets of the rcbs check wieghts on my bench. I use them like we did gage blocks in the tool room. To check the settings of a scales and to check its accuracy both. They would really be missed if gone now. You can make a set with your buddies scales and copper wire. make a couple .5 grns a 1.1, 1.2 1.3 1.4 and 1.5grns bend these into diffrent shapes so they can be IDed easily from a chart. You also want a 1 grn 2-2grns 2-5 grns a 2-10 rns a 2-20 grn and a 50 grn also nice would be 100 grns and a couple .2 grns and .3 grns. Cut a length of wire and wieght file end to exact wieght and chart on a card as to what shape is what wieght. Like all check wieghts handle with tweezers to keep oils and corrosion away. I not only like to check a scales accuracy at diffrent points in its range but also check a setting for a load with the wieght in a known grouping of check wieghts.

dudel
07-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Salpal48's directions are correct for the most part. Hornady's beam scales use set nuts on the end of the beam to zero against the opposite end of the poise.

I have one of those scales. It's 30 years old, and still works great. I've never has to change the set nuts. I just use the base screw on the left till it zeros. If I couldn't get zero with the base screw, then I'd use the set nuts.

Of course OP may be referring to the Hornady digital scale, in which case contact Hornady for a calibration weight.

leadhead
07-27-2015, 09:45 PM
That's the same scale I have.... That's exactly how I set mine up by turning the screw to zero it.
I know I've had it for probably 30 years also, and have never had any problems that I know of.
Denny

44Vaquero
07-27-2015, 09:56 PM
You got me thinking about it, so of course off to the reloading bench. I pulled 3 boxes of Hornady XTP's from the shelf (.32 100 gr, .45 230 gr and .44 240 gr) and weighted ten each after zeroing my scale empty. The .32's were +/- 1/10 and the .45's and .44's were +/- 2/10's as marked. I am going to call the scale good enough since we know the box markings are nominal expected weights.

soldierbilly1
07-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Pbhead:
you and your friends scales sound like the guy with two wristwatches! which one has the correct time?
begin at the beginning. Zero your scale out and check weight with a known check weight or two. Go to your buddy's scales and use same zero procedure and same check weights. your weights of the same item should match. If not, something is mechanically wrong (or we have op error somewhere).
After you zero and calibrate, and the results make sense... you are done. go ahead and weigh samples with confidence!
these scales are not analytical balances but they are better than folks make them out to be!
8 grains off is unacceptable.
bill boy

leadhead
07-28-2015, 12:40 PM
I've come to the conclusion that my scale is fine... After zeroing it, I weighed many different
jacketed bullets of different brands and they were all within 1 to 2 tenths of the given weight.
I'm going to check again with him and check out his scales again.. I'm satisfied that mine is
OK....
Denny

str8wal
07-28-2015, 06:55 PM
My scale would zero fine, but I wanted to see if it weighed correctly down the beam so I got one of the Lyman check weight sets for about $25 IIRC. Was good for peace of mind if nothing else.

soldierbilly1
07-28-2015, 08:08 PM
I've come to the conclusion that my scale is fine... After zeroing it, I weighed many different
jacketed bullets of different brands and they were all within 1 to 2 tenths of the given weight.
I'm going to check again with him and check out his scales again.. I'm satisfied that mine is
OK....
Denny
Honestly, if both of his scales are 8 gr off, it sounds like your friend does not know how to zero a scale. Please show him how to do this before he blows himself up.
Be safe! your friend too!
bill boy

too many things
08-01-2015, 11:06 AM
you didn't say. but is buddies an electronic ?

mdi
08-01-2015, 11:25 AM
I have used US coins, as new as possible, to check my scales. No need to spend $25.00 for "check weights"...

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=coin_specifications To convert grams to grains; 1 Gram = 15.4323584 Grain http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/grams-to-grains-table.htm

woodbutcher
08-01-2015, 11:57 AM
;)Just a thought here.Some years ago,a friend needed a set of check weights.Started looking through a gvt surplus site looking for something else.Came across a set of IIRC 30 weights for about 35.00 NIB.Might be worth while doing a search.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

1_Ogre
08-01-2015, 04:38 PM
I've got a set of the RCBS weights, can send em to you so you can calibrate your scale as long as you send em back. They have never been taken out of the package yet.

str8wal
08-02-2015, 12:04 AM
I have used US coins, as new as possible, to check my scales. No need to spend $25.00 for "check weights"...

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=coin_specifications To convert grams to grains; 1 Gram = 15.4323584 Grain http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/grams-to-grains-table.htm

I agree, that works, and is a great tip. But I can dial in many of the actual charges I am going to throw with a full set of check weights rather than just being able to check the scale in specific positions. Not saying I always do, but it is nice to have the ability when getting close to the edge.