PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin Discovery

Boz330
07-27-2015, 11:42 AM
I got one several weeks ago but didn't have a way to charge till I got the set up for a scuba tank on Friday. I had an old 6 power scope laying around and mounted that as well. I put a large washer out on a shepherds crook type stand that my wife hangs bird feeders on for a target.
Sat evening I was sitting on the deck and tried the rifle out and was surprised how hard that thing hit. After shooting it down once with a hit on the wire I re-hung it and one shot turned it completely sideways so all I had was a shot at the edge which was less than an 1/8". I rested on the railing and hit that washer edge 3 times in a row. To say I'm impressed with this thing is an understatement. The washer was hanging 25 or maybe 30 ft and it is the .177 model.
This might be really cheap evening entertainment. Might be even more fun when the Starlings come around, I hate those things.

Bob

Case Stuffer
07-27-2015, 12:18 PM
i have had mine for over a month and well over 1,000 pellets sent down range. I tweaked the power level down a bit and smoothed up the trigger contact points, replaced the trigger spring with one from a retractable ball point pin and tweaked the shear / safety spring. At a measured 60 feet ,prong supported position it will put 5 H&N Field Target Trophy pellets into a single ragged hole. The H& N Baracuda Hunter Extreme are almost as accurate.

Mine is topped with a Tech Force 4-12 power 1" tube AO scope which is decent.

One of my threads with chrono results

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?281874-Benjiamin-Discovery-Chrono-results-with-H-amp-N-Baracuda-Hunter-Extreme-9-26-gr-pellets.

The Disco is really a nice entry level PCP air rifle. I rew tired of hand pumping very fast and ordered a ShoeBox Max compressor and 17 cf tank and have since added a 87 cf tank. Guess you could say I am hooked.

TCLouis
07-27-2015, 11:11 PM
I had my trigger group apart over the weekend to see what needed "fixed" when I installed the 6 32 adjustment screws and new trigger spring.

Parts EXCEPT plastic trigger are apparently stamped metal and contact surfaces are as rough as can be. A little filing followed by diamond file and some fine grit paper should fix those contact points. May need to follow up with today's version of case hardening compound. Only time and testing will tell.

That being said I shot one group out of the kitchen window at a target at lasered 50 yards of 0.75Wide X 0.625 High outside to outside. Yes there were other groups not even close to this small.

I only wish I could remember which pellet that was on that target and the reservoir pressure level.

When we get a break in the temperatures I want to do extensive chronographed and benched tests at 50 with front and rear bags.

It looks like the repairs performed by Crosman facility in NY are going to hold. . . . . YAHOOOOOO!

This gun is itching for opening of Squirrel season next month

Tracy
07-27-2015, 11:29 PM
I have a Crosman 2260 that I converted to HPA with a HiPac (screw in high pressure tube). It's pretty similar to a Discovery, but runs at higher pressure. I also reworked the valve for more power, so now it shoots 18.13 grain JSB pellets at about 875 fps, and the 14.3 grain Crosman pellets over 900 fps. It's a squirrel killing machine.
I charge it with a Hill pump.

Boz330
07-28-2015, 08:57 AM
The trigger on mine doesn't seem all that bad but I didn't measure it. Smooth and lighter is always better, to a point. I was thinking about trying mine on some tree rats this fall.

Bob

jmorris
07-28-2015, 09:13 AM
For the money they are pretty impressive, my daughter thought it was too loud though. Turns out I like the Marauder even more.

TCLouis
07-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Like a powder firearm, I am learning that they have a preferred pellet and pressure range.

According to some of the chrono data I have seen the velocity may actually go up as you shoot it to lower pressures from max fill.

Come the end of August, mine will switch duty and I will have to put squirrel talley in hunting section . . .

Nah I would have to cast the projies to make that an up and up deal!

If I get into a long drawn out test mode with mine I will likely get a "better" pressure gauge from McMaster-Carr.

TKO LDC will make it quieter.

TCLouis
07-28-2015, 09:06 PM
If anyone is looking for one with decent appearing set up minus used SCUBA tank there is one listed on the airgun Nation web site.

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-benjamin-discovery-177-with-hawke-scope/

NOT mine nor do I have any knowledge of the seller.

I was nibbling at it, but before I bit and ended up with two of them, the returns guy at Airgun Depot offered to straighten out an order I had with them and so my gun money is depleted.

melloairman
07-28-2015, 09:53 PM
I had my trigger group apart over the weekend to see what needed "fixed" when I installed the 6 32 adjustment screws and new trigger spring.

Parts EXCEPT plastic trigger are apparently stamped metal and contact surfaces are as rough as can be. A little filing followed by diamond file and some fine grit paper should fix those contact points. May need to follow up with today's version of case hardening compound. Only time and testing will tell.

That being said I shot one group out of the kitchen window at a target at lasered 50 yards of 0.75Wide X 0.625 High outside to outside. Yes there were other groups not even close to this small.

I only wish I could remember which pellet that was on that target and the reservoir pressure level.

When we get a break in the temperatures I want to do extensive chronographed and benched tests at 50 with front and rear bags.

It looks like the repairs performed by Crosman facility in NY are going to hold. . . . . YAHOOOOOO!

This gun is itching for opening of Squirrel season next month
You might try the lower link mod . When you had the cover off the assembly . Did you remove the lower link and notice another hole in the housing just forward of the one used to secure the lower link . It is if memory is correct {but measure 1/4 inch away} . What ever it is measure the lower link and drill the proper hole size in the lower link . Which is case hardened but once you get though that it will drill easy . Now re install the lower link by moving the stud to the front hole in the assembly and use the new hole you just drilled in the lower link . You will end up with a little more pull or creep and about 1/2 the trigger pull pounds . If you do not like it just re install to the original positions . Marvin

jmorris
07-29-2015, 07:44 AM
If anyone is looking for one with decent appearing set up minus used SCUBA tank there is one listed on the airgun Nation web site.

I have yet to see anything that comes close to this deal.

http://www.topgun-airguns.com/SCBA-tank-with-adapter_p_94.html

4500 psi Carbon fiber tank and everything needed to fill a disco, for less than $200.

Case Stuffer
07-29-2015, 12:29 PM
That is a great price for sure. Thread on GTA Forum

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=89544.0

post by scruff75had issues with that vendor including a hose which let go?

To be fair most every vendors has had negative post at one time or another.

jmorris
07-29-2015, 04:14 PM
I wonder what was wrong with the $650 Great White he ordered the month before?

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=90404.msg847315#msg847315

Rustyleee
07-30-2015, 04:47 AM
I've been looking at a Discovery for a while now. I live in a rather rural area and the ability to pump them up seems like a nice feature.

jmorris
07-30-2015, 09:01 AM
It is, and there is more than one way to do it. There are a number of compressors out there, the least expensive is the shoebox using an oil less compressor ($750).

I built a booster pump to fill tanks myself without a compressor that works pretty good.

I also automated a hand pump that came with one of my rifles as a "farm" backup, that works well and much better than using it manually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJVoZzBGBhs

mac1911
07-31-2015, 10:29 AM
It is, and there is more than one way to do it. There are a number of compressors out there, the least expensive is the shoebox using an oil less compressor ($750).

I built a booster pump to fill tanks myself without a compressor that works pretty good.

I also automated a hand pump that came with one of my rifles as a "farm" backup, that works well and much better than using it manually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJVoZzBGBhs
How often have you had to replace the pump seals. Would imagine pumping it that fast would burn out the seals. I have had to rebuild my Benji pump 3 times in 5 years as the high pressure (small inner seal ) burns out.

SharpsShooter
07-31-2015, 04:18 PM
The trigger on mine doesn't seem all that bad but I didn't measure it. Smooth and lighter is always better, to a point. I was thinking about trying mine on some tree rats this fall.

Bob

You don't necessarily have to limit yourself to tree rats.

jmorris
07-31-2015, 04:51 PM
How often have you had to replace the pump seals. Would imagine pumping it that fast would burn out the seals. I have had to rebuild my Benji pump 3 times in 5 years as the high pressure (small inner seal ) burns out.

Never but I threw that together too long ago. The O ring kits are $3 from Sun optics for the Benjamin pumps. I wouldn't try and fill a tank with it but it only rises 17 degrees F filling a marauder from 2000-3000 psi, even less filling a Disco to 2000.

If I don't like the life I get out of the O rings, I will slow it down. Just a turn of a knob on the VFD.

mac1911
08-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Never but I threw that together too long ago. The O ring kits are $3 from Sun optics for the Benjamin pumps. I wouldn't try and fill a tank with it but it only rises 17 degrees F filling a marauder from 2000-3000 psi, even less filling a Disco to 2000.

If I don't like the life I get out of the O rings, I will slow it down. Just a turn of a knob on the VFD.
I don't pump to fast....but I still have to replace the seals to often in my mind?

TCLouis
08-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Rustyleee
The one I posted above is 177 so I can not say, but now that I have mine fully operational (THANK you Crosman NY to overcome the repairs not accomplished by field repair station) in 22 will do well to 50 yards with the right pellet.

Even when mine (out of the box) leaked down to zero about 100 strokes of the pump and I was at full pressure. I am going to have to run some tests because my best groups are NOT shot at full pressure (as I have found to be true with powder firearms also).

jmorris
08-01-2015, 09:30 AM
I don't pump to fast....but I still have to replace the seals to often in my mind?
What is too often?

Rustyleee
08-01-2015, 03:40 PM
The .22 is the only one I'd consider as I already have a 392. I just want something with a little more punch that will take a scope better than the 392 will.

Boz330
08-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Nice job. I use to hunt ground hogs years ago but I almost hate killing them anymore. They use to be a real problem here till the coyotes moved in. Now you don't hardly see them anymore. They do OK close to people where the yotes don't like coming. I use to have a 22 Hornet that went everywhere with me around the farm.
Early in the spring I use to go to western KY to hunt them with a friend, wasn't unusual to get 20 to 30 a day.

Bob

You don't necessarily have to limit yourself to tree rats.

TCLouis
08-08-2015, 07:02 AM
It takes about 50-60 strokes to bring the Disco backup up to pressure, but the Hatsan 44 takes a hundred and they get to be exercise towards the end.

jmorris
I did not see a bleed valve in the pictures for that tank/fill adapter, is there one?
Any idea of the original build date on those tanks?

jmorris
08-08-2015, 09:30 AM
jmorris
I did not see a bleed valve in the pictures for that tank/fill adapter, is there one?
Any idea of the original build date on those tanks?

There are 4 photos in that link the first and last must be the old style the two middle photos (ones with rock in them) are what they send now with the knurled bleeder) the tanks are ones they get (likely in bulk) reprint and recert, dates will be all over the place. If I were to order one I would give a call first.

Topper
08-11-2015, 01:00 AM
I purchased one through pyramid air, accuracy was poor. Inspection found that .5" of the rifling lands were missing. Pyramid offered exg which I agreed to provided that they remove the front sight and examine the lands on the end of the barrel. All 7 in stock had the same issue and I was directed to crossman. After two exgs and months later the exg failed to hold pressure after one months use. Crossman tech received it and reported that the valve was an older type that had leak issues and he replaced it with a newer one (Keep in mind that I had purchased a NEW air rifle from pyramid air). Final got it back and groups were fine (stacking them at 20yrds) but POI kept changing due to barrel ring movement. Purchased a second and did the 6 screw mod for both, finally the rifle is shooting consistent .25" groups @ 20yds. I asked Crossman to extend my warrantee beyond date of purchase and they refused. The Disco is a fine air gun IF the quality control is good. Unfortunately for the consumer it can be a risky purchase.

jmorris
08-11-2015, 09:35 AM
I haven't had any problems with my Disco but did have to return an Mrod that wouldn't shoot well.