PDA

View Full Version : A Redding T-3 vs. Forster

wiiawiwb
07-27-2015, 08:18 AM
New to reloading and looking to reload 45LC. May tackle 9mm at some point but not sure. The cost savings is minimal. I shoot ~150 rounds of 45LC/month. I know I can get away with a low price kit, Lee or RCBS if I want. They're all good equipment. Instead, I've decided to choose between a Redding T-7 and Forster Co Ax. Speedy production capability is not a factor as I'll likely do reloading in batches of 50/time. I've watched every video on YouTube regarding a T-7 or Co Ax so I've seen how they operate and their pros and cons.

In both cases, I would use the manual press method of primer seating offered by that company's press. No feeder tubes or add-on equipment. No hand priming. Both it or the Co Ax would be set it up for the 45LC with 5 dies (depriming, resizing, expansion, seating, crimping).

I like the openness of the T-7 and ease of access. It is also very sturdy and has gotten great reviews on reloading forums. I would run the T-7 as a SSP until I got the knack down and was comfortable with its operation. Maybe it would always be run as a SSP. I don't a pressing need (forgive the pun) for speed and production. Just want to have a little fun doing it while saving some money down the line.

I like the smoothness of the Forster Co Ax, the ability to slide dies in and out in the blink of an eye, and its smaller profile on a bench. I also prefer it's priming method to the T-7. It appears more precise. I've heard say the Co Ax will produce a round with less runout but I will not be doing any competitive rifle shooting to test that. The Co Ax has also gotten rave reviews by people who wouldn't live without it.

I'm leaning toward the Co Ax but could be persuaded to get the T-7. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Nueces
07-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Here are some thoughts. I have both the T-7 and Co-Ax. The Co-Ax does not appeal to me because I prefer the side entry for case feeding with my left hand. Thus, I like the RCBS "block O" frames and similar - and the T-7 is open on both sides. Also, the Co-Ax top handle means a high reach for operation - I prefer the lower handle so I can avoid that reach and put some weight on it during the bottom part of the stroke. With a short case like the 45 Colt, you can short stroke the T-7, keeping the ram up near the turret. That is not possible with the Co-Ax, as it must be bottomed to open the sliding shell holder. I use a Dillon 550B for most handloading, including my 45 Colt cowboy loads. The T-7 is used for rifle loads. Generally, the 45-70 dies stay in place.

I do things semi-progressively on the Redding. Fired rifle cases are deprimed on a dedicated RCBS Partner press, then wet tumbled. Clean cases are run through two adjacent stations on the T-7, sizing and neck expanding. Right hand on the press handle, left hand inserts the case then goes to the turret handle, pump twice and remove the case for priming on a bench tool. This is a good place to take a break, if wanted.

Primed cases are charged using a bench mounted measure, then another two step in the T-7, seating and crimping. I don't have numbers for you, but I'm certain that this is faster than using the Co-Ax, because of reduced case handling.

Welcome to the board!

r1kk1
07-27-2015, 10:29 AM
I would go with the T-7 going with your two choices for pistol loading. The T-7 can use primer tubes and the COAX you have to handle each primer one at a time. I love my COAX and the features it has. I would rather use my 550 than either press, especially for that task. Both presses mentioned offer excellent spent primer disposal.

I hate manufacturers kits. I have my presses mounted to either Dillon Strong Mount, Pat Marlins RockDocks, and soon to Inline Fabrications Ultramounts. Any of these save space on the bench.

take care

r1kk1

r1kk1
07-27-2015, 10:50 AM
One other thing,

I'm a big fan of Sinclair, Forster and Hornady lock rings. I know Forster says to use their but the other two work well too. The T-7 will accommodate ANY locking ring you like!

take care

r1kk1

wiiawiwb
07-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Great thoughts and advice. A few observations on my part. My objective at this point is to go slow and and do each stage repetitively. Deprime 50 cases, then move to resizing all 50, then...you get the picture. Speed won't matter at all as I will likely be doing batches of 50-100 rounds and how much time can I really save. I will also, at least for the time being, manually loading each primer and charge each casing. I will look to have the press prime one at a time and will hand measure and charge each case.

I am confident I will eventually get a good handle on things but will inch along until I can confidently move faster.

W.R.Buchanan
07-27-2015, 02:14 PM
I would go with the T7 between your stated choices . The Forrester press is more suited to loading rifle rounds than pistol rounds.

However there are other choices out there that you probably aren't aware of. One being the C&H444 which comes set up for one caliber and .45 LC is on their list.

This press is more compact than the others and offers a different style of multi station capability where you move the cartridge case instead of the turret. It is dirt simple!

The whole idea of the multi station press is to reduce handling of the product. Everytime you handle the case it takes time and effort. Then multiply the number of operations you have by the number of cases you have and you will get the number of actions necessary to load all your ammo.

These multi station presses are designed to process one cartridge from start to finish in one handling. And therein lies their benefit. They can be used Single Stage just fine, but offer a more efficient alternative if you chose to use it that way.

I typically use my C&H Press to Size and Deprime (using the same die) each case. No need for two dies for this as all sizing dies also deprime.

Then I tumble the brass to make it nice and clean.

Next I prime the cases either using the priming function of the press or an RCBS Priming tool. I could also prime on the machine but I don't like how it works so I use the other tool. The T7 has a nice priming function that works well and is easy to use.

Then I Charge the case and flare the case mouth in the left station using a thru powder expander die. Then Seat the Bullet in the middle station,,, and then Crimp using the right station. This sequence uses three front stations on the C&H press. or in the case of a Turret Press like the T7 the Turret would have the three dies mounted in sequence to be rotated into position for each operation while the case remained in the shell holder. Either machine yields a completed round for each case processed,,, which is the primary intention of the machines.

The Turret System mimics the operation of a Turret Lathe where one complete revolution of the turret yields one completely machined part. This is known as a Rotary Transfer Machine.

The C&H is known as a Linier Transfer Machine for the obvious reason.

The pic below shows my C&H press setup to load .308 Win . These cases were sized and deprimed on the center station in the rear of the press. The round in the right station of the machine has just been Crimped. The left station has a Lee Charging die with a powder funnel. The center station has an RCBS Bullet Seating Die.

There is nothing hard or cornfusing about any of this once you understand the Reloading Process. It is simply a more efficient way of doing it. You still do all the same operations you just do them with less work. More work will not make you safer or turn out better ammo, it simply takes longer and offers more chances to screw up.

Randy

MT Chambers
07-27-2015, 02:24 PM
One other thing,

I'm a big fan of Sinclair, Forster and Hornady lock rings. I know Forster says to use their but the other two work well too. The T-7 will accommodate ANY locking ring you like!

take care

r1kk1

I usually agree with r1kk1 but sorry I go with the Co-ax

dudel
07-27-2015, 03:01 PM
I really like the Co-Ax; but I'm not sure it's the best press for your needs. If you reloaded rifle and did case forming, the Co-Ax would be perfect. Instead you plan on doing pistol only. You don't need the leverage of a Co-Ax. A T7 would let you keep your dies mounted and give you a semi progressive if you need more speed. Once we started reloading, most of us found that we shot more. The T7 will have a bigger window for handling the smaller cases.

You can achieve low runout on a T7 is you set the dies properly. Lock the dies down with a case up in the die. That will center the die in the toolhead, and let the case find it's position in the shell holder. Similar to what a Co-Ax does, except by floating the brass instead of the die.

Both are fine presses, you could make good ammo on either.

Artful
07-27-2015, 03:57 PM
wiiawiwb (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?41361-wiiawiwb) ,I commend you for wanting to do it methodically and not try for volume!

I had a 444 gave it to a friend it's a good press

I still have my Co-ax I use the Co-Ax for precision rifle caliber loading and case forming

I have a Lee Turret which I use for small runs It's nice that you can leave dies set up in an extra turret and change out in rapid time between two calibers.

I have a Dillon - actually two and set those up for larger runs. Pistol or Rifle.
Again a 550 will have swapable heads so you can leave it set up for a caliber.

I have a seperate Lee "c" press I use to deprime ONLY it just keeps the Universal
decapper die in it.- then it's off to the tumbler then I prime all of the cases in with a Lee hand priming tool in front of the TV - I like the Lee hand primer because I have a better "feel" for the primer seating and I don't have to touch the primers at all - you just dump into the tray, swirl to align/orient, put the lid on and start priming cases. It's quick and
you know when you get the right amount of pressure on the primer for surefire ignition.

- then I take the processed brass and run them thru the press of my choice where I size, flair, powder charge, seat a projectile and crimp.

While I love my Co-Ax it sounds like you'd be better off with a Turret or semi progressive design. Remember you are in charge of how you use your tool - a Dillon is just a turret press with the shell holder rotating. I usually recommend the Lee Turret as best bang for the buck but see no reason not to do the T-7 in it's stead if you want to spend the money.

The nice thing is that all the reloading equipment I am aware of is really super reliable if you buy from a major maker (CH4D, Dillon, Hornady, Lee, Redding, RCBS etc)

omgb
07-28-2015, 02:29 PM
Go with the T7 and don't look back. The Co-Ax is a super press but it is much more specific in its design. It excells at making highly accurate rifle ammo, a lot of the military sniper teams use them. However, the T7 is really slick at loading pistol ammo, long rifle cases, and black powder ammo. It will load sub MOA ammo all day long IF you do your part and it does save on extraneous movement. If you are a sniper loading for one caliber and time is not an issue go with the coax. Pretty simple really

country gent
07-28-2015, 04:38 PM
I have used my co ax for many years and its a great press for loading. I like the shell holder set up alot. it very good and only need to be changed for a very few calibers normally. Some bullet pullers swagers may give it problems with the top mounted lever. Its got a nice size and very good leverage. One nice thing with the universall shell plate is you dont need to "slide" the case in just set it in the opening and the shell holder closes around it. For priming the case needs slid into the jaws though. Die floats in and out case floats side to side. My coax has loaded alot of 243 308 223 300 win mag 22 hornet 218 bee along with pistol calibers. They are nice solid presses. I have never used the redding so cant coment on it but redding does have a good reputation for quality. I have used lyman crusher, rock chucker, RCBS Summit, a couple home made presses and dillon 650s. Of the manuals i find the coax easiest to get shells in and out of since they just set there and the jaws cloase open around them. It does over hang the front of the bench a little. Spent primers are 100% contained and a piece of tygon tubing ran down to a trash can jug in plce of the container means much fewer times emptying the primer collector. ( I have my 650s set up the same way with plastic tubes to A jug for spent primers). I can recommend the co ax if you can get one. sometimes they are hard to find.

L Erie Caster
07-28-2015, 05:45 PM
My objective at this point is to go slow and and do each stage repetitively. Deprime 50 cases, then move to resizing all 50, then...you get the picture. Speed won't matter at all as I will likely be doing batches of 50-100 rounds and how much time can I really save.

It may not matter now but, years from now you will want a faster press for any handgun loading. So why not start out with one?

Rory McCanuck
07-28-2015, 08:24 PM
I don't have a T-7, but I do have a Co-Ax. The Co-Ax is a heck of a press, and I'm quite happy with it.
I'd likely be every bit as happy with the T-7.
Of the two, for pistol, I'd rather go with the T-7.
If all I was going to reload was pistol, I'd look at several different presses instead.

wiiawiwb
07-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Yeah, all I plan on doing is pistol. I assumed that 9mm wouldn't economically make sense to reload but it does now I will reload it as well. So, 45LC, 9mm and maybe even 454 Casull.

I went over to a buddy's house and looked at his set up today. Wow. He's got a Rock Chucker, a Lee Turret, a Hornady SSP, and his brand-spanking new Dillon 650. Interestingly enough, he said he's gotten along just fine for 25 years with his RCBS RC and Lee Turret. The Dillon 650 is like Stars Wars.

The most disconcerting part is I'm buying something I've never seen nor touched. Just viewed on YT. For someone who is tactile, it makes for a difficult decision because you're buying on faith alone. I've called both Redding and Forster and there isn't even a dealer within driving distance to see either.

Rory...short of a progressive, what would be a better pistol reloading press than a T-7?

jrap
07-28-2015, 09:08 PM
for reloading just pistol you could get away with just getting one of lee's starting kits. Or if you want to go green get an RCBS Partner press. I had a redding big boss 2 and loved it but that press is designed for sizing ultra mags and is way overkill for pistol.

r1kk1
07-29-2015, 10:00 PM
I usually agree with r1kk1 but sorry I go with the Co-ax

Sorry Mt Chambers.

One of the greatest things about the COAX is the shellplate carrier. No shellholders needed. The priming system is precise and repeatable. Die swapping is incredibly fast. I can almost match it using LNL bushings. If you use the optional shellholder plate, you can use a ram extension from Hornady or CH4D to help shorten the press throw. I do this in the Ultramag or Champion and works well case forming pistol brass. It really shortens the throw in the Summit.

I can see where MT is coming from. Nothing wrong with the T-7. I just don't have a use for a turret using a 550. My needs are different.

Take care

r1kk1

wiiawiwb
07-30-2015, 08:07 PM
It may not matter now but, years from now you will want a faster press for any handgun loading. So why not start out with one?

That would invite temptation to cut corners which is something I won't do at this point. I might do that down the line when I have enough experience to know when to trust your equipment or, more importantly, when to trust yourself. I need to do it by the book with no deviation. Step 1, load the case, Step 2, pull the handle, Step 3....

One other issue I've read about....wobble and tilt...with a turret. I've read that is not an issue with a T-7. For those who have, or have used a T-7, is that the case?

r1kk1
08-01-2015, 10:27 AM
That would invite temptation to cut corners which is something I won't do at this point. I might do that down the line when I have enough experience to know when to trust your equipment or, more importantly, when to trust yourself. I need to do it by the book with no deviation. Step 1, load the case, Step 2, pull the handle, Step 3....

One other issue I've read about....wobble and tilt...with a turret. I've read that is not an issue with a T-7. For those who have, or have used a T-7, is that the case?

I would not worry about wobble or flex.

I don't understand the comment about cutting corners. Think of a progressive as four or more single stage presses either working in unison or as one single stage. You can load one shell at a time or load the shellplate up and load 250 or more rounds an hour. I don't have a turret because I have a simple 550.

You need to ask yourself some simple questions: How much will I shoot every month now? How much will I shoot in the future? I shoot pistol calibers for Encore's and some revolvers from .17 caliber to 50 caliber stuff. I may be okay with 50 rounds of 500 Linebaugh this month but I will easily go through a 1000 38s, 45s, 44s, etc. Some stuff I shoot a lot of and others not so much. I shoot necked down pistol cartridges made from 475 Linebaugh, 454 Casull, 44 Mag for example. I have bought around 12 different Encore barrels in pistol length and one custom revolver this year. I don't know what will catch my eye next year.

You load "by the book", per se no matter if it is a single stage, turret, or progressive. Each press system has it's advantages and disadvantages. I work as a travel nurse in the operating room. I have room for one of four single stages I use. Loading straightwall pistol cartridges can be very monotonous. I long to be home after an assignment to use the progressive to load what we ran out of while on assignment. Living in a RV cuts down what equipment you can take. Sure a turret can make things somewhat faster loading rate than my single stages. Fact is, a turret would not replace my progressive.

On my progressive I have certain toolhead set up to do what I want to do. Some guys have a case feeder on their machines as I do not to speed up the process of decapping, trimming, or whatever they want to do.

Whatever press you buy, make sure you have a sturdy, solid bench for it to sit on. I like quick change mounting plates from Inline Fabrications and Pat Marlin. My bench at home is a 2" maple top and now with the new man cave being made, I will have a square metal post from the ceiling to the concrete floor with a metal plate on each side albeit a different height to mount up to four presses at one time. One plate with have the Dillon Strong Mount on it. The other three will either have one of Inline Fabrication mounts and/or Pat Marlin's Rock Dock. I really like Ultramounts from Inline. The bench will now be wearing a vise and used for other reloading and gun cleaning tasks, etc.

I have taught numerous people including the wife and kids to reload on a progressive. If you think they went full progressive when starting out on the machine you are sadly mistaken. When we were done after a couple of hours, they knew what each die did, what each station does, most importantly to check their work with measuring tools! They learn to stop! Feel! Measure! No different from any other single stage or turret. Some went out to buy a different progressive from what I own. At the end of the day, we also loaded on single stages. One thing I noticed, they were really longing to go back to the progressive.

Next week I'm home and we are down several thousand cartridges in common calibers. My wife and I can fix that in a weekend. While on the road, we load in batches of 50 or 100 of the stuff we most likely will shoot. We load together.

Now go buy a press! Mount it solid! Get to work! Have Fun! Don't be surprised if you end up owning more than one press. It happens.

take care,

r1kk1

EDG
08-02-2015, 06:17 PM
I kind of like the earlier 6 hole turret press that Redding used to make. It had the simpler linkage and would be a little better for pistol rounds.

The T7 seems like it would be good for lighter duty case forming but other than that offers little over a single station press.

I have played with the Forster press in several gun stores. I really dislike the long swinging motion over the top of the press and I don't think it is well designed to take the abuse of case forming.

g17
08-08-2015, 07:24 AM
Both are excellent presses but I'd go with the T-7. I bought one recently and only wish I had done so sooner. The Co-ax was at the top of my list but because I load almost all pistol ammo, the T-7 beat it out for me.