PDA

View Full Version : Parker Hale 1200

Tenbender
07-26-2015, 10:06 PM
What do you think ? Are they worth the time ? I like the Mauser rifles but Parker Hale doesn't have a very good repor on most forums. The one I'm looking at is a 243.

Lloyd Smale
07-27-2015, 01:59 PM
they were a good gun in there day. I had one of the deluxe models in 243 and it was sub moa with about any load. They saved some money using commercial mauser actions but allways used high quality barrels. Wish I still had that gun.

Larry Gibson
07-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Have had two '06 and a 270 Parker Hale rifles. All 3 were excellent and I should have kept all 3 just for the actions alone.

Larry Gibson

Ballistics in Scotland
07-27-2015, 03:06 PM
I'd agree that they had an extremely good reputation. The Old Western Scrounger is currently selling surplus Parker-Hale castings, and unthreaded, but unfortunately they won't export them, even in that condition. It would hardly be worth the work to make them usable, for they are no better than many complete Mauser actions - by which I mean quite good enough for almost everybody. They would make an interesting paperweight, though.

pietro
07-27-2015, 03:59 PM

While I've never had a P-H 1200, I have had an older (ca. 1959) P-H .30-06 ( a Euro-only Safari Model ) - which was based on a Mauser 98, but with scope mount dovetails integral with the receiver (like a Sako or Ruger).

Plenty accurate, scoped or not, and a rifle that handled almost as nice as the S&W/Husqvarna .30-06 I had, also Mauser 98 based.

IIRC, the 1200's action wasn't Mauser-based, looking more tubular like a Rem 700 or a Howa.

The online gripes I've seen, seem to come from those not very experienced with P-H's, or rifles in general, complaining about this/that/other.

Maybe they expected magic, based on the brand name. ;)

azrednek
07-27-2015, 04:14 PM
I've had two Parker Hale rifles. One was actually branded for JC Penny's, Formost I think the brand is/was. Although the P/H rifles I've seen say "made in England". The Mauser actions on the two I had were made Spanish made Santa Barbra.

Don't confuse the Santa Barbra with the inconsistent Spanish military Mauser actions. Santa Barbra commercial actions are as good as any ever made including FN. I built a 338 Win Mag on a commercial S/B action. The S/B factory adjustable triggers are not anywhere the quality of a modern Timney or Bold but if one has the patience to adjust properly they will break as crisp and clean as any.

The only down side I see to the S/B action are the wonderful hinged trigger guard assys need some time and patience to fit into a standard Mauser sporter stock. The commercial so-called 98% stocks are usually cut for a military trigger guard. It will take some time and patience to get the S/B to fit.

Commercial Santa Barbra Mauser action
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/338-6-1.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/dnisbet/media/338-6-1.jpg.html)
Commercial action next to Parker Hale rifle
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/SB-1.gif (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/dnisbet/media/SB-1.gif.html)

Sorry but it appears I discarded the side by comparison of the trigger guards.

Mtnfolk75
07-27-2015, 04:30 PM
I've owned one Parker-Hale 1200, it was in the early 80's & it was chambered in 22-250 Remington. Fit & finish were excellent but I couldn't find a load that would shoot under 2.5" at 100 yards. I bought the rifle used based on the Parker-Hale reputation and dumped it PDQ when I couldn't get it to shoot. It was a lovely rifle that I really wanted to like .... :cry: It wasn't until later in the 90's that I learned the 22-250 likes to be loaded out near the lands, being a fairly new rifle reloader that was the one thing that I hadn't tried.

hicard
07-27-2015, 05:06 PM
I have a Parker Hale in 7mm Magnum, bought it in 1968. It has been a great rifle and I would buy another if I had the chance.

izzyjoe
08-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Many years ago I had a chance at a Parker in 270, but I ended up with a Interarms mark x 270, which is basically the same, and it's a very nice rifle, and it's my go to rifle for deer.

azrednek
08-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Many years ago I had a chance at a Parker in 270, but I ended up with a Interarms mark x 270, which is basically the same, and it's a very nice rifle, and it's my go to rifle for deer.

I'm really surprised seeing the price tag on many of the Mark X Mausers at gun shows especially at the low price they were sold for originally in the early to mid 70's.