PDA

View Full Version : S&B Primers Any Good?

Michael J. Spangler
07-25-2015, 11:48 PM
Title says it all.

I hate S&B brass for sure.
I was wondering if their primers suck too?

A local shop received a whole bunch of them and has sold off about 30k already and he said he hasn't received any bad reports back.

I've seen mixed reviews on forums most of which have little or no details on what the problems were.

So what do the gurus here think? Is anyone using them? Any issues with specific presses, priming systems or brass?

Thanks!

chucky64
07-26-2015, 12:42 AM
I had bought 5000 s&b spp about a year ago and have had to relegate them to my hammer fired pistols. The striker fired guns did not like S&b primers. This was on 45acp, 357sig and 40sw, so the problem cant be pinpointed to a striker fired pistol with a weak spring. I hand prime all my cases so primer seating depth was not a factor. Yes they are 5-7bucks cheaper than USA made primers, but I personally
just pass on them if Win of Fed are in stock.

Screwbolts
07-26-2015, 07:25 AM
S&B sells lots of ammo and I have never had a problem with there primers or ammo. IMHO they are as good as any other brand of primers, I would not pass up a deal on them, I would not hesitate to buy 30K of them myself.

Ed_Shot
07-26-2015, 09:14 AM
I'm using S&B LP primers for 45 ACP (CZ97, 1911, G30)....I have not had a single issue. Graf's had a good price at the time.

ReloaderFred
07-26-2015, 02:24 PM
S&B makes good primers. They wouldn't still be in business if they didn't, and they've been producing ammunition and components since the 1800's.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: Their brass doesn't "suck". It just takes a little different technique to prime them. It's good quality brass.

Michael J. Spangler
07-26-2015, 02:38 PM
S&B makes good primers. They wouldn't still be in business if they didn't, and they've been producing ammunition and components since the 1800's.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: Their brass doesn't "suck". It just takes a little different technique to prime them. It's good quality brass.

Point well made. I guess their brass doesn't suck, just from all of my experience it doesn't work well in a progressive press with my current set up. I usually have to reseat the primers off press with a hand priming tool.
Not bad for the low volume stuff but I do mostly pistol shooting and load up tons of ammo in a whack and blow through it quicker than I can load it. I think I'll grab a bring next time ($22) and see how they run.

jrayborn
07-26-2015, 06:17 PM
I've burned through many. I love them!

Postell
08-01-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm using S&B LP primers for 45 ACP (CZ97, 1911, G30)....I have not had a single issue. Graf's had a good price at the time.

yep, When Grafs put them on sale for 99 bucks for 5000, i smoked a visa card.. the work well for me.

John Boy
08-01-2015, 11:02 PM
Michael - name one US firearms company that has been in continuous business since 1786
Next name one US firearms company that makes primers that matches this:

In order to ensure the quality of the products of Sellier & Bellot, the company has introduced and implemented an effective quality management system. The system regularly undergoes the assessment of its conformity with the ISO 9001/2009 standard by a certification company. Sellier & Bellot JSC has held the certificate of conformity with the requirements of the mentioned standard for twelve years.

So far and I shoot plenty of S&B primers - I have failed to have one not fire.
Remingtons? Different story.
Also, next time you wonder why your chronograph AV -ES & SD readings are all over the place - and you happen to be using Federal GM215M primers - open a box and see the number of primers that are not completely filled with the primer compound that effect ignition brisance!
Ya sure, Federals are great primers!

Mytmousemalibu
08-01-2015, 11:34 PM
Loaded and fired my first 100 S&B SP's last weekend, flawless ignition. All went bang just like they should and no FTF's or any other issues, I think I will be buying more!

stillhere
09-06-2015, 09:41 PM
I'm hoping their primers are good; I just committed to buying 5000 of 'em. As for their brass; I really like their 44 mag brass, although the pockets are a bit tight, sometimes too tight.

fecmech
09-07-2015, 09:57 AM
I bought 5K of SP's a while back at Cabelas for $100. I checked a number of my standard loads which over the years have been loaded with Federal, CCI, Magtec and Wolf primers (I have data for all). Velocities, ES and SD are at the least equal to or in many cases better than the ones I mentioned.

yancey
09-07-2015, 01:58 PM
I just picked up some small $ large pistol S&B primers. The small worked great through my simi auto's with no problems. I will give the large pistols a try next week through the 45. This is my first time using these primers. ( Cabelas had these at a cheap price)

tmattimore
09-07-2015, 04:35 PM
The only problem I have with S&B primers is their packaging they tend to get upside down in the trays easily so when I load up the primer tray I have to flip about 20%. I have fired thousands of them flawlessly.

double00
09-08-2015, 04:55 PM
like above, i have used them with no issue.

Petrol & Powder
09-08-2015, 08:06 PM
I've shot a couple of thousand S&B primers without issue. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

fecmech
09-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Cabelas has them on sale now for 19.99/K. I just picked up another 5K yesterday and Cabelas gives vets a 5% discount which I was not aware of till yesterday. That made it $103. OTD for 5K with NY sales tax.

ukrifleman
09-09-2015, 02:22 PM
I have found S&B primers to be just fine.

I am well into my 2nd thousand of L/R primers with no issues.

ukrifleman.

leadman
09-15-2015, 09:57 AM
I bought a thousand LR from Cabela's yesterday for $19.99. I do like their ammo so the primers should be fine.

Sgtonory
09-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Have used 15 to 20 thousand in my Glock 35. Most where with stock striker setup. Last 1k has been with a 4 pound striker spring and a lightend striker. No issues loading in my 650

Schrag4
09-15-2015, 01:16 PM
I bought 4k when Cabelas had them on sale for 18 bucks a few months ago. I've only tried them in my Ruger SR9c so far, and that gun did not like them - many needed a 2nd strike to go off so I set the box I loaded up aside immediately. I put a heavier striker spring in and that seems to have done the trick for that box and another I've loaded since, but the sample size is too small to say for sure. It seems many people have similar light-primer strike issues with that gun, and not just with S&B primers. I've had exactly 1 light primer strike shooting thousands of CCI (the culprit) and Tula primers in that gun before trying S&B, and I'm ready to admit that I probably didn't seat far enough in that instance.

They don't give me trouble during the loading process.

John Boy
09-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Read this post ... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?182089-can-you-make-priming-compound&p=3376318&viewfull=1#post3376318

Michael J. Spangler
09-15-2015, 09:18 PM
If there are any left at the local shop this Thursday I'll be sure to bring home a box.

Did anyone note if they were harder than CCI? I'll read back through

John Boy
09-16-2015, 08:53 AM
22 April 2015 Update – Final Version:
Test Procedure: Using a Lee Hardness Tester that measures Brinell hardness, placed a new primer on a piece of steel. Held the indent ball on the primer for 30 seconds using a 5/32” SS ball with 60 lbs load pressure
Measurement is the diameter of the indent, smaller numbers indication harder brass
Old Additions = *
New Additions = **
Pistol Primers

**0.30 CCI 500 SP, lot K27U41
0.32 – CCI 300 LP
** 0.32 CCI 350 LPM, lot G10R
0.38 – Federal GM150 Match LP
0.38 – Sellier & Bellot SP
0.38 – Sellier & Bellot LP
0.40 – Federal 155 LP Magnum
0.40 – Winchester - Western WLP
0.42 – Federal 150 LP

0.42 - Federal 100 SP
*0.42 – Remington 1 ½ SP
0.44 – CCI 500 SP
0.48 – Remington 2 ½ LP
*0.48 – CCI LP Lot 0264 – old CCI primers

DeputyDog25
09-16-2015, 09:05 AM
I use them and have been using them for years, no problems whatsoever.

yancey
11-19-2015, 06:31 PM
I just picked up some small $ large pistol S&B primers. The small worked great through my simi auto's with no problems. I will give the large pistols a try next week through the 45. This is my first time using these primers. ( Cabelas had these at a cheap price)

It's time for me to eat crow !!!!!!!! I have gone through a couple k of these primers with no issues what so ever until today. I was at the range with the same Pistols i have been using for some time . I was running some test loads with a couple of different powder and primers and guess what ? All the S&B primers wouldn't go bang . """"""""""""No more of S&B primers for me !!!!!
I Bragged on these once but never again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReloaderFred
11-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Were they seated properly to the bottom of the primer pocket? That's necessary to set the anvil into the priming pellet.

I've gone through over 20,000 S&B primers and have yet to have a problem with any of them.

If every primer failed to ignite, then I'd look at your primer seating. When I seat primers, my goal is to set them -.004" below flush.

Also, did you remove any of the primers and look at them to make sure they had an anvil and primer pellet? If everything was in place properly, then it's something else.

Hope this helps.

Fred

plainsman456
11-19-2015, 07:39 PM
I have some Large rifle and some small pistol.

So far all of the rifle have gone bang.
Did have one when loading a few pieces of brass that the anvil separated from the cup,it went in the crapper.

sargenv
11-20-2015, 11:28 AM
One thing I noticed is that you need to have positive pressure on them to seat in the Dillon 650.. they are a tad larger than the Winchester Small pistol primers I usually use.. In the last batch of 1000 - 9mm I found 8 with high primers.. I've loaded 10's of thousands with Winchester and never have any high primers.. so I know the press is set up right. I use mixed range pick up for either primer. I've sorted out Mil and crimped primers so I know that's not the issue. Once seated though, they go bang every time with factory triggers. I have some tuned revolvers that only liked Federal #100's or #200's.

yancey
11-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Were they seated properly to the bottom of the primer pocket? That's necessary to set the anvil into the priming pellet.

I've gone through over 20,000 S&B primers and have yet to have a problem with any of them.

If every primer failed to ignite, then I'd look at your primer seating. When I seat primers, my goal is to set them -.004" below flush.

Also, did you remove any of the primers and look at them to make sure they had an anvil and primer pellet? If everything was in place properly, then it's something else.

Hope this helps.

Fred

One thing I noticed is that you need to have positive pressure on them to seat in the Dillon 650.. they are a tad larger than the Winchester Small pistol primers I usually use.. In the last batch of 1000 - 9mm I found 8 with high primers.. I've loaded 10's of thousands with Winchester and never have any high primers.. so I know the press is set up right. I use mixed range pick up for either primer. I've sorted out Mil and crimped primers so I know that's not the issue. Once seated though, they go bang every time with factory triggers. I have some tuned revolvers that only liked Federal #100's or #200's.

I think you folks might be right !! I pulled some of the rounds out and found the primers looked like they were seated a little high. I'm going to take a little bench time and see whats going with this problem. This looks like i might have been the issue and not the primer.
Thanks folks for the reply !!!!!!!!!!

Michael J. Spangler
11-20-2015, 11:27 PM
I'll have to stick to Winchester just due to the harder to seat aspect.
I do 99% of my loading on a Dillon 550 and I hate CCI primers because they're tough to seat in the Dillon. They work fine with a lee hand primer but I hardly ever use that. Only for my limited single stage rifle rounds.
I guess I can grab some to try out next time I see them.

Mavrick
11-22-2015, 04:18 PM
I've got 5k LRs, an am running them through several guns. I load with a hand priming-tool, and almost all ammo is over the chronograph, an Oehler M33 with 5' spread, and the first screen at 5'.
In my medium-range (500m) target rifle, a 6.5/06 Improved on an M98 Mauser, the S&Bs have had the consistency of CCI 200s, and very close to the same velocities. They don't appear to be as "hot" as 250s so I don't really care for them with real slow powders, but using the IMR slow burners (easier to ignite) like 4350 and 4831, they do as well as most "standard" primers.
The cups are not plated so may be a bit soft. They seem to be a bit larger than American primers so resist seating.
I've also run a few through my .300 Savage and my .257 Roberts, both in M722 Remingtons. They shoot every time, so far, and the extreme spread is the equal of CCI 200s, my standard primer.
I haven't shot any with my cast-boolit loads, yet.
Have fun,
Gene

DerekP Houston
11-22-2015, 05:11 PM
So far so good, I also was lured by the cabelas ad and have a stock pile of them. Better than nothing, and cheaper than the local alternatives.

jeepyj
11-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Some have mentioned that S&B are a bit larger than WW. Even though I've only used a little over one k so far in my 650 on 38spl's I've found just the opposite not one high primer with S&B but a noticeable amount with WW. Ether way both brands have all gone bang at the appropriate time. For me it's S&B for the time being.
jeepyj

Tenbender
11-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Title says it all.

I hate S&B brass for sure.
I was wondering if their primers suck too?

A local shop received a whole bunch of them and has sold off about 30k already and he said he hasn't received any bad reports back.

I've seen mixed reviews on forums most of which have little or no details on what the problems were.

So what do the gurus here think? Is anyone using them? Any issues with specific presses, priming systems or brass?

Thanks!

I sure hope so. I just bought 8000 at Cabelas the other day. $21.00 a thousand.

plainsman456
11-22-2015, 09:54 PM
Just bought another 2000.

21.00 is hard to beat,both small/large rifle primers.

yancey
11-23-2015, 08:06 PM
Like most of you ! I have picked up a few thousand. I have had no issues what so ever with the large pistol . I did check some of the small pistol brass and I'm going to make a change and prime on my press instead of the hand primer. ( I will test these over the weekend)
I started reloading in 1975 and never had a problem like this. Guess I'm not too old to learn

williamwaco
11-23-2015, 08:13 PM
No opinion on their primers. I have some but have not yet tried them.

That said, I second the opinion that their brass sucks.

I bought 200 rounds of factory ammo to get some matched lot cases for accuracy testing in the .38 Special.
After six loadings, 30% had split.

Messy bear
11-25-2015, 12:21 PM
I have LP versions and they do seat harder than others. Need more testing with them. Just getting started.

ReloaderFred
11-25-2015, 01:52 PM
"That said, I second the opinion that their brass sucks.

I bought 200 rounds of factory ammo to get some matched lot cases for accuracy testing in the .38 Special.
After six loadings, 30% had split."

williamwaco,

How can you say their brass sucks when it's only designed to be used the one time it leaves the factory? Most manufacturers don't make their brass for handloading after the initial firing (a few exceptions for companies who sell their brass as components). If it fires the first time, and there are no failures of any kind, then the manufacturer was successful with his product. Anything after the first firing is gravy to us reloaders.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out that the intention of the original manufacturer is different than us as reloaders. Our intention is to get as much use as possible from a product that is considered disposable by the company that made it. Their intention is to get the person who bought it in the first place to buy more new product to replace what they've used.

You got at least 6 loadings out of something that was considered a loss by S&B, so I think you're a big winner, 6 times!

Of course, that's just my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

11-25-2015, 02:14 PM
S&B make their small primer in 4 cup thickness 40 45 50 & 60, pick the right one and you shouldn't have a problem.

yancey
11-30-2015, 12:54 AM
In the last couple of days i tested a few more of the small pistol S&B Primers . This time i seated the primers on two of my other presses.
( No hand priming this time) I had the same issues with these primers as before !!!! The primer problem is sure not me .I think i just got
a bad batch in this thousand because the first ones did just fine.

tazman
11-30-2015, 02:00 AM
That would be enough to make me avoid them in favor of known reliable primers even if they are cheaper.
I like my ammo to go bang consistently when I pull the trigger.

yancey
11-30-2015, 06:44 PM
That would be enough to make me avoid them in favor of known reliable primers even if they are cheaper.
I like my ammo to go bang consistently when I pull the trigger.

Tazman, "I'm with you on that " I have a few k left of these and i guess they will just collect dust on the shelf.

starnbar
12-01-2015, 07:39 AM
I shoot wolf and s&b cci and rem they all went bang for me correct primer seating is a reason I hand seat target loads so I don't crush the compound and end up with erratic ignition issues.

Michael J. Spangler
12-01-2015, 11:54 AM
What are you guys using for primer seating? Seems like one of the big issues is hard seating on progressive presses.
This makes sense. I have the same issues with CCI primers.
With a hand primer they seat beautifully though.
Just wondering if the guys having issues with seating have been using a hand seater or a progressive press.
Seems like that is the only issue with these primers so if I could figure it out and keep some handy for my hand priming uses then they might work out fine.

sandman228
12-01-2015, 01:18 PM
I bought about 12 k of them when cabellas had them on sale and I plan on buying another few cases here in the future . ive only ran about 1000 of them so far but have not had any issues . they do seem to be on the soft side .the thing that surprises me though, s&b brass is a pita to prime with other brands of primers so I figured ok s&b primers with s&b brass wouldn't be a prob . there brass still sucks to prime even with there own primers .

truckerdave397
12-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Cabelas has them on line today for $18 per K with free shipping.

yancey
12-02-2015, 12:58 AM
What are you guys using for primer seating? Seems like one of the big issues is hard seating on progressive presses.
This makes sense. I have the same issues with CCI primers.
With a hand primer they seat beautifully though.
Just wondering if the guys having issues with seating have been using a hand seater or a progressive press.
Seems like that is the only issue with these primers so if I could figure it out and keep some handy for my hand priming uses then they might work out fine.

I was seating the primers with a hand priming tool . After the problem i had with the primers i tried using two of my single stage presses with priming arms. ( Primers still not working) I put the carton of bad primers away and tried another 1k of them . "Out of this new pack of new primers i have had no issues .

jonp
12-04-2015, 06:40 PM
S&B make their small primer in 4 cup thickness 40 45 50 & 60, pick the right one and you shouldn't have a problem.

I have not run across that information anywhere and I have bot several boxes at different times and it doesn't say anything about that on the boxes that I can see. Where did you get that from? Have a link so I can read it myself?

jrayborn
12-05-2015, 10:41 PM
I find S&B Brass to be very good (after I chamfer the primer pocket) and I love the reasonably priced primers too!

stillhere
12-05-2015, 11:00 PM
+1 on the brass. The stuff lasts forever and I also like that the brass is close to the nominal length, if not right on. Starline gets rave reviews but I've grown tired of getting 357 mag, 44 mag and 45 Colt brass where 30% of it is shorter than than the trim-to length right out of the box.

I find S&B Brass to be very good (after I chamfer the primer pocket) and I love the reasonably priced primers too!

Four-Sixty
12-05-2015, 11:38 PM
I shot some S&B Large Pistol primers in 30-30, with a 170 grain Lee boolit and 8 grains of Trail Boss. They all went bang in my Marlin 336 and hit at the same point of aim as the same load with Large Rifle primers. I do agree they are soft though. I see them flow around the firing pin strike like no other primers.

Michael J. Spangler
12-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Learn something new every day.
Seems like the thicker cups are for the magnum primers which makes sense.
You would know if you were buying the thicker cup because it would say magnum. Either way good to know.

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/product/components/primers/

DerekP Houston
12-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Just tested my batch of S&B small pistol and large pistol. All went bang as expected, no difference between those and the winchester SP I had been using. I use a lee turret for priming and making the rounds.

jonp
12-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Learn something new every day.
Seems like the thicker cups are for the magnum primers which makes sense.
You would know if you were buying the thicker cup because it would say magnum. Either way good to know.

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/product/components/primers/

I'll be darned. I went back to that link again and now I see the numbers after the boxer. Is that what that number means. I'll check to see what I have and be careful ordering next time. Thanks

umwminer
01-25-2016, 11:02 PM
I hate using non US anything , but i tried them when all other US made primers were horded away and the S&B ran fine in all the s rifle , l rifle and s pistol that I tried .

aspangler
01-26-2016, 01:45 AM
I use them in LR and SR a LOT. Never had a missfire.

MarkK
02-02-2016, 05:24 PM
They're fine. Testes in 44 mag and 45 acp. Stocked up on LPP for awhile.

kerreckt
02-11-2016, 04:15 PM
I have used over 10k in the past few years. Not a single problem. None!

retread
02-11-2016, 04:30 PM
I bought 4k when Cabelas had them on sale for 18 bucks a few months ago. I've only tried them in my Ruger SR9c so far, and that gun did not like them - many needed a 2nd strike to go off so I set the box I loaded up aside immediately. I put a heavier striker spring in and that seems to have done the trick for that box and another I've loaded since, but the sample size is too small to say for sure. It seems many people have similar light-primer strike issues with that gun, and not just with S&B primers. I've had exactly 1 light primer strike shooting thousands of CCI (the culprit) and Tula primers in that gun before trying S&B, and I'm ready to admit that I probably didn't seat far enough in that instance.

They don't give me trouble during the loading process.

I had a similar experience with my SR9. When I got back from the range with the suspect boxes of 9's, I checked for proper primer seating and found many that had not seated fully(primed on my 550). Checked all that I had loaded using S&B primers and noted that a good percentage were not seated to the full depth(used a Lee hand primer). That ended the problem, so now I check them all before boxing them up.

Schrag4
02-11-2016, 05:25 PM
It's been about 5 months since I last posted. I've probably shot close to 1500 more of these through my SR9c, with the heavier striker spring, and have not had a single failure to ignite. It has been months since I've given any thought about these primers in my gun.

DerekP Houston
02-11-2016, 05:43 PM
So it appears to be a seating issue? That would explain why those of us using hand/single/Turret press had success vs the progressive presses.

Electric88
02-12-2016, 07:48 AM
I haven't tried any S&B primers in my SR9c yet, but I use the Lee hand prime tool. I wonder if that would be different.... perhaps I will prime a piece of brass tonight and see how it seats, maybe pick up some plated bullets and see how it goes. Good to know about the SR9c though, maybe I'll order the heavier striker spring anyways. Did you get it through Ruger?

berksglh
02-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Thats all I purchase after trying the first 1000 a year ago. Local Cabelas had them on sale for $19.99/1000 and I couldn't pas on it to try them.

Not one issue. Have shot all but the large rifle type. Loaded with hand prime and progressive just fine.

DerekP Houston
02-12-2016, 12:47 PM
I've been using the SP and LP since cabelas had that sale as well. I think I've had 1 total FTF but the 2nd strike fired so I assumed it was a seating issue. Granted I wouldn't use them for SD carry rounds but 99% of my time is just at the range shooting paper.

sandman228
02-12-2016, 01:10 PM
ive been shooting them a few months now gone through 3k or so no issues other than they seem to be very soft .cabellas has them for 19.99 again I ordered another 6 k I should have ordered 10 k .

Schrag4
02-12-2016, 01:10 PM
They weren't seating issues with my SR9c. The stock striker spring simply wouldn't set them off reliably, at least for me. I remember it well - I foolishly took some ammo I made with the new, untested primers to a local IDPA match. The first stage went like this: BEEP - BANG - BANG - click - rack - BANG - click - rack - click - rack - click - *give up*. I wasn't totally stupid - I brought some of my other ammo with CCI primers and finished the match (they let me re-shoot the first stage).

Mine were primed on a LCT, and I long ago learned to apply a good bit of pressure while seating. Again, same priming system but new striker spring, and now they're 100%.

Perhaps the stock striker spring was in need of replacement anyway. I bought this gun used, and I have no idea how many rounds I put through it before trying S&B Primers, let alone how many were put through it before I bought it.

sandman228
02-12-2016, 01:34 PM
I had a light strike issue with the sr9c I used to own with just about any primers . I replaced striker spring with a stronger spring from galoway precision and still had issues . so I bought an rcbs bench mounted priming tool and stopped using a hand primer for 9mm and that solved the prob . from what I understand it was common on the sr9's along with trigger reset issues .

Electric88
02-12-2016, 01:50 PM
ive been shooting them a few months now gone through 3k or so no issues other than they seem to be very soft .cabellas has them for 19.99 again I ordered another 6 k I should have ordered 10 k .

Thank you for pointing this out... I am thinking I might go get about 6k today as well.

P Flados
02-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Sand,

Another thanks for the heads up. I ordered 15k small pistol primers.

Cabella hazmat is only $20.00 and they have a code that takes off $5.00 on their shipping. Final cost was under $0.024 per primer.

Big Boomer
02-22-2016, 06:32 PM
When I could not obtain sp primers regular or magnum anywhere locally a while back (always used CCI or Winchester for the past 40 years or so), I saw an ad by one of the major suppliers (I believe it was Graff & Sons) and they had a special they were running on TulAmmo (sp.?) sp regular primers. I called and sure enough, they had a good supply and I purchased 10,000 sp regular primers and 10,000 sr regular primers. I used up 5,000 of the TulAmmo sp regular primers without a hitch in a Dillon XL 650. Then I came across a special offer locally on S&B sp regular primers and purchased 5,000 of them and have not had a problem so far. Some kick about S&B brass having tight primer pockets but I have found all S&B brass to be very serviceable so far. Same for PMC and all military (just have to iron out the primer crimp). I would prefer to use American made components but during the dry period I could not find American components anywhere at any price. In larger metropolitan areas things might be different but out here in the boonies it is sometimes get it any way you can. Big Boomer

556shooter
02-23-2016, 12:01 AM
I have been using S&B app in my .40 cal limited. I have a 17 pound hammer spring it and have shot thousands of these primers with no problems. My friend who built the pistol for me recommended Federal or Winchester primers as they are the softest. I started using S&B primers when I could not any federal or Winchesters. I will continue to use them.

Big Boomer
03-01-2016, 12:43 AM
Someone here on CB mentioned that Cabelas had a sale on primers. I called them on 2/23/16 and sure enough that was the last day of the sale. They had Sellier & Bellot on sale for $ 19.95 per thousand. I checked to make sure they had as many as I wanted, and was able to get 10,000. Total price including tax, shipping and Hazmat was $ 237.19. For these days, not bad. My first dealing with that outfit. They delivered the primers within about three days if I recall correctly, though they projected that they would be delivered 3/2. Big Boomer

Handloader109
03-02-2016, 09:05 PM
II picked up a 4k Sr primers for my 22tcm. So far I've only shot a few and they worked out OK. The Small rifle are WAY softer than cci and I had some trouble with poor seating. I ran a few in some 9mm, (yes I know, mild loads, but not std practice) and about 4 or five out of a dozen either took two strikes or completely failed to fire. I'll not buy any more unless it is all I can obtain... CCI or Winchester are much better in my opinion. I've never had a fail to fire with cci. And I just bought 4k from local guy getting out of Reloading for $20 a thousand.

ReloaderFred
03-02-2016, 09:31 PM
If your primers ignite on the second or third strike, the problem isn't with the primers, it's with the primer seater person. If a primer isn't seated all the way to the bottom of the primer pocket, the distance it has to move to become fully seated just cushions the firing pin blow. The first strike finishes the seating, which seats the anvil into the primer pellet. The second strike finally allows enough force to be applied to set off the priming compound.

Hope this helps.

Fred

FLYCUTTER
03-03-2016, 02:02 AM
Just checked Cabela's tonight and the sale of S&B primers are still on sale for 19.99 I cannot find a sale date on when it ends but LG rifle, SM rifle, and SM pistol are in stock.

wonderwolf
03-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Hmmm I wonder if the cabelas in Dundee has any....thats a great price and they are only 45min away from me.

I have had excellent results so far with the small pistol primers, no failures yet.

Electric88
03-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Hmmm I wonder if the cabelas in Dundee has any....thats a great price and they are only 45min away from me.

I have had excellent results so far with the small pistol primers, no failures yet.

I live about 30 minutes away, nice to know there is someone else in the area! Anyways, they seem to always have a moderately good supply of them. I would make the trip to pick some up with confidence, but all my discretionary money went into a home improvement project lol