PDA

View Full Version : Sad day in my reloading room.

TXGunNut
07-25-2015, 09:02 PM
Went into my reloading room today hunting the source of a buzzing noise and finally found it. My old case cleaner would try to start every few minutes and the lights would dim. :shock: Poor thing died just weeks before it's 13th birthday. I bought it to replace a Thumbler's tumbler that died a premature death but couldn't afford a quality unit at the time, or so I thought, lol. It's an el cheapo Frankford Arsenal unit from Midway and I have no idea how many thousands of hours it has run. Definitely lasted a lot longer than I figured it would.:bigsmyl2:
Now I need a replacement unit. I have a Hornady ultrasonic liquid cleaner for cleaning the insides of cases but I like the polish that walnut shells put on the outside so I generally use both. I'm leaning towards the same type dry media vibratory cleaner but may spring for the stainless steel media machine that so many folks around here are so fond of.

labradigger1
07-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Sorry for your loss.
I heard buzzing in mine a few weeks ago and it was a bumblebee nest. I won.

dragon813gt
07-25-2015, 09:13 PM
Just buy another FA vibratory tumbler. Mine is still going strong for over five years. I personally have no use for the stainless pin method. To much work at to high of a cost. But to each their own.

MBTcustom
07-25-2015, 09:44 PM
I've got the same tumbler, bought for the same reason, probably the same year if you are talking about 2003!
Changed my reloading for sure. I bought the kit with the media separator and I use those clam shell baskets as processing trays as I run the brass through the different stages. I remember buying it. I was sick to crack off that much money, but the Thumbler was toast, and the FA looked like it might hold me till I could get the money together for a new Thumbler. I never replaced the Thumbler, and the FA has been going strong ever since.
Best money I ever spent.

Mk42gunner
07-25-2015, 11:20 PM
I bought the 1292 combo on sale for I think $49.00 sometime in 2000. It was before Midway started labeling things Frankford Arsenal. That big funnel that fits on top of a five gallon bucket sure makes it nice to get the bulk of the tumbling media out of the cases, doesn't it?

Come to think of it I believe I had my tumbler before the recall, may have to check on that. I usually run it outside and on concrete now anyway.

Robert

TXGunNut
07-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Actually mine was built August 5, 2002. It didn't quit until that 45 Colt brass looked good almost as new. Seem to remember hearing something about a recall or warning of some type but I kept using it. Dunno how long that same batch of walnut shells has been in there but I clean it, put in more polish and it works like new. I think I bought my hand-crank brass separator basket and tub at the same time, looks pretty nasty but it still works just fine.
I doubt the FA cleaner available today is the same machine that served me so well, reviews a bit spotty. Will see what Cabelas has tomorrow, may be putting in a Midway order tomorrow evening.

Michael J. Spangler
07-25-2015, 11:37 PM
I've been running a berrys brand tumbler for over a decade. Every once in a while i hear a humming and see no vibration. My heart jumps and then when I check it out its always just a backed out mounting screw that interferes with the weight on the motor.

I might cry when she finally gives out. Those machine do a lot of work for us and don't get the credit they deserve. It's always about out new moulds and fancy progressive presses. They're the work horses ; )

TXGunNut
07-25-2015, 11:55 PM
Thanks, Michael. Had forgotten about the Berry's tumbler. I have some green Loctite around here if I decide to go that route. Berry's is a good co, rep hangs out on TFL for tech advice and to gather feedback.
And yes, our case cleaners are the unsung heroes of the loading room. They do all the dirty work and make us look good. I figure even for a tightwad like me this machine gave me my money's worth years ago.

jrap
07-26-2015, 12:11 AM
Ive been using an FA for a few years now and it still runs strong. The only reason i got a second tumbler is because the FA is too small

dilly
07-26-2015, 12:29 AM
Did you guys see Berry's new tumbler that has a removable top? Seems like it would be a lot better for pouring, and you can buy extra bowls for corn/walnut/powder coat paint, etc.

Artful
07-26-2015, 12:35 AM
I don't know - I just order parts as needed for my Thumbler Model B
- usually just belts and bearings.
http://www.therockshed.com/partsthumlers.html
Much cheaper to repair a quality product in my mind.

slim1836
07-26-2015, 12:51 AM
My FA vibratory tumbler still going strong after 8 years, never thought it would though.
Still have 2 backups. Use one of them on occasion.

Slim

fatelk
07-26-2015, 01:02 AM
I have an old 1288, got it back in '89 or '90 as I recall. That darn thing has run forever.

The motor gave out a while back, just hummed. The motors on these are just little shaded pole motors, simple and reliable. It turns out it was just the motor bearings. A couple of replacement bearings (same size as skate board bearings- cheap on ebay), and it's running fine once again.

Mytmousemalibu
07-26-2015, 01:44 AM
You have probably had the thought cross your mind already but if you want to try STM wet tumbling and not dry out your wallet you can always build yourself a tumbler. I got a motor for free and the materials I had. I only had to buy a couple pulleys and pillow ball bearings and some casters. Used an insulated water jug as the drum. I have about $50 in my tumbler and the results are astonishing. If you are resourceful, it can be done easy & cheap.

Vinne
07-26-2015, 02:08 AM
Did you guys see Berry's new tumbler that has a removable top? Seems like it would be a lot better for pouring, and you can buy extra bowls for corn/walnut/powder coat paint, etc.

I got mine a few years and it has been going strong so I need to check out the new bowls.

bedbugbilly
07-26-2015, 09:01 AM
"Old case cleaners never die . . . they just fade away . . "

Gen. MacArthur

Grasslander
07-26-2015, 10:10 AM
^^^^^^
Too Funny!

bhn22
07-26-2015, 11:36 AM
My eldest Lyman 1200 isn't as energetic as it used to be. I always tell people that it's over 20 years old, but some dedicated cypherin' tells me that it's actually almost 35 years old. My Lyman 600 just got a new bowl after 30 years of service.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore. I may try the new, lighter weight bowl on the 1200 to see if it perks up a mite. At this point, I'll probably buy a motor to keep using the old girl if it becomes necessary.

Jackpine
07-26-2015, 11:45 AM
I had a Frankfort A for six or eight years and had the same problem. Being frugal (spelled C-H-E-A-P) I was not willing to give it up. I took the bottom plate off, turned it on, and gave the fan a spin. Off it went. For about a year it would start on its own every other time and then need a "push" the other times. The percentage of times it would start on its own reduced over time to the point I had to help it every time and eventually it died completely, but I got thousands of rounds of extra life out of by jump starting.

Jackpine

RKJ
07-26-2015, 12:03 PM
My Lyman 1200 is almost 30 and (knock on wood) still going strong. I'm hoping it lasts as long as I do.

MT Chambers
07-26-2015, 07:55 PM
I don't even know what model my Lyman is but it keeps chuggin' along.

3006guns
07-26-2015, 08:21 PM
I have an old 1288, got it back in '89 or '90 as I recall. That darn thing has run forever.

The motor gave out a while back, just hummed. The motors on these are just little shaded pole motors, simple and reliable. It turns out it was just the motor bearings. A couple of replacement bearings (same size as skate board bearings- cheap on ebay), and it's running fine once again.

My kind of man............I did the same thing to my Midway tumbler just about a year ago, except I machined two replacements from bronze stock. I'm cheap that way. My other tumbler, an orange Lyman Turbo 1200, has been droning on steadily since 1974!

brassrat
07-26-2015, 09:24 PM
I am only a 5 or 6 yr. reloading noob and already killed a Cabellas tumbler. I brought it in and they opened a kit and gave me a new tumbler.

TXGunNut
07-26-2015, 11:00 PM
You have probably had the thought cross your mind already but if you want to try STM wet tumbling and not dry out your wallet you can always build yourself a tumbler. I got a motor for free and the materials I had. I only had to buy a couple pulleys and pillow ball bearings and some casters. Used an insulated water jug as the drum. I have about $50 in my tumbler and the results are astonishing. If you are resourceful, it can be done easy & cheap.

Yes, it has crossed my mind. I'm a small-volume reloader these days and simply don't have the time to assemble the parts and quite likely don't have the engineering ability to make it work.

TXGunNut
07-26-2015, 11:04 PM
My eldest Lyman 1200 isn't as energetic as it used to be. I always tell people that it's over 20 years old, but some dedicated cypherin' tells me that it's actually almost 35 years old. My Lyman 600 just got a new bowl after 30 years of service.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore. I may try the new, lighter weight bowl on the 1200 to see if it perks up a mite. At this point, I'll probably buy a motor to keep using the old girl if it becomes necessary.

I've ordered the Lyman 1200, Cabelas has them on sale and after reading the reviews and posts on this thread I think it will hold up better than a similar-priced FA unit.

Mytmousemalibu
07-27-2015, 02:18 AM
Yes, it has crossed my mind. I'm a small-volume reloader these days and simply don't have the time to assemble the parts and quite likely don't have the engineering ability to make it work.

Well my version 1.0 was about as stupid simple as it got. 2x4's and deck screws. It only had 1 motor driven shaft (which was a length of 3/4 steel tubing with some chunks of heater hose slid over it for grip, nothing radical) and the "water jug drum" rode on caster wheels on the undriven side so I didn't need to buy more bearings and a shaft. I'm a small time reloader myself. I just liked the results of STM cleaning better than dry media. No dust, the nasties are rinsed out, superior cleaning, media lasts forever, simple & cheap detergents, short process time. Cost you can offset buy rolling your own and it will pay off over time. I really don't have trouble de-pinning my brass and drying is actually really fast, like literally a few minutes of heat gun/toaster oven or a little more via solar drying. I know a number of guys that were hard set on dry media, I used to be one of them, I have since changed my mind!

Harter66
07-28-2015, 09:57 PM
I have an FA it probably ran 5-7000 brass maybe a little more but it broke a winding wire . My enthusiasm for finding a motor has been at an ebb having an other than green over blue nearly identical RCBS that was gifted to me here. It has its flaws as well ,it shakes the motor bearings loose about every 3rd load.

alamogunr
07-29-2015, 12:37 AM
I've had a Midway tumbler since the late '90's. About 10 years ago, I used a chassis punch to put vent holes in the bottom plate, per a recommendation I read somewhere, to give it more ventilation. Still running good as ever. About 5 years ago I bought a large bag(40#) of corn cob blasting media but I got mixed up on my grit size and ordered the small grit. The tumbler has to run a looong time to get brass half way clean. I just got in the habit of starting it in the evening and letting it run all night. It may give up someday but I will have gotten my moneys worth.

Zaneiel
07-29-2015, 01:08 AM
I love my Lyman, hopefully it lives a long life as well :)

tctender
07-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Had a lyman 1200 that the motor burned up on. Sent it back to lyman for repair and they told me it was not repairable. Would cost more than a midway at the time so I told them to keep it or send it back. Bought the one from Midway and soon after getting it I got a box from lyman. Thinking it was my old one I opened it up and there was a new 1200 that they sent me. Been using both since. The lyman seems to work a little better but have no complaints with the Midway one.

W.R.Buchanan
07-30-2015, 11:47 AM
If the motor is froze up try oiling the bushings on the ends of the shaft. Motors generally don't just burn the windings out. They usually just seize up.

If the shaft is stuck just oil it and work it back and forth until it frees up. my Thumblers Tumbler is 30+ years old and was given to me. I use it for deburring parts as well as cleaning brass and it has ran for several days at a time so many times it is uncountable. The motor has seized several times I just oil the bushings and it is good to go.

If the motor ever burnt out I would go to Grainger and buy a new one and run it for the rest of my life. As it sits, I will probably only run it for the rest of my life with the original motor. Good machinery lasts for along time. Inexpensive machinery can be made to last for a long time, you just have to give it some TLC once in a while.

I have a Chinese Bench Grinder my Dad bought me in 1976. It has shielded ball bearings which have seized 25 times in the last 40 years . A shot of Kroil is all it takes to be back in business. Some times I blow them out with an air hose if they have collected too much dirt.

These motors don't have brushes, so as long as the windings are broken the only other thing that can go wrong is the bearings dry out. Most of these motors have either steel or bronze bushing for bearings. They have to be lubricated periodically.

See if this won't fix your problem.

Randy

kryogen
07-30-2015, 12:27 PM
My FA works fine.... if it died I would get the large dillon one. thick, large, powerful.

Electric88
07-30-2015, 12:50 PM
I was using a dry tumbler from the Sportsmans Guide (I can't remember the brand), but ended up switching to the Harbor Freight dual drum rotary tumbler with stainless pins. I love it.

TXGunNut
07-30-2015, 11:17 PM
Gee, Randy, wish I'd known you when my Thumbler's tumbler quit. Went to the scrap pile a long time ago. It was pretty slow but I used it for 15-20 yrs before it quit.
Can't go to Harbor Freight, Electric88. Had too much fun last time I was there. I agree their tumblers and vibratory cleaners look like good stuff.

762 shooter
07-31-2015, 07:26 AM
I have had a Midway Vibratory cleaner since the mid 90's. It stopped working about 10 years ago, so having no idea what I was doing, I popped motor with a squirt of spray lube.

Been working ever since.

Electric88
07-31-2015, 07:29 AM
Gee, Randy, wish I'd known you when my Thumbler's tumbler quit. Went to the scrap pile a long time ago. It was pretty slow but I used it for 15-20 yrs before it quit.
Can't go to Harbor Freight, Electric88. Had too much fun last time I was there. I agree their tumblers and vibratory cleaners look like good stuff.

I know the feeling. Every time I go there I have to remind myself of what I actually need. I don't typically buy powertools from them (miter saws, drill press, etc), but I was definitely surprised by their rotary tumbler!

claudesapp
07-31-2015, 01:18 PM
I've found a little 3-in-1 electric motor oil goes a long way in keeping things in my garage running well for years - tumblers, shop-vacs, Dad's old power tools. A bottle is cheap at Lowes.

W.R.Buchanan
08-01-2015, 04:09 PM
My FA works fine.... if it died I would get the large dillon one. thick, large, powerful.

Kryogen: on a completely unrelated note: did you ever get that Troll who was in control of your shooting range removed?

Randy

1_Ogre
08-01-2015, 04:27 PM
I've still got my Frankford Arsnel vibrator, noisey as the day is long, but still goin strong after 7-8 yrs of hard use. Others are a lot quieter, but with the prices, it has paid for itself many times over

Grasslander
08-01-2015, 06:44 PM
I have a Vibra Kleen that I bought back in the '80s when I first started reloading. Still chuggin along. ( can't believe the sticker is still on it)
Made in Denton, TX..

David2011
08-01-2015, 08:06 PM
You guys are making me feel like I wasted my money on Dillon polishers. The original small polisher had the little open frame motor. When it died they made me an offer I couldn't refuse to upgrade it to the same motor they use on the CV-750. The power is astounding compared to the original motor. It will probably last as long as I do. I also have a CV-2000 that I bought used. The motor is a little noisy on it but it is so old the bowl and lid are not the same material that they've been using for a long time. The lid appears to be vacuum formed ABS plastic. No idea how old it is but I can put a LOT of brass in it and it doesn't bog down.

The smaller Dillon has always been whisper quiet unless it has too much brass and not enough media.

David

flashhole
08-02-2015, 08:05 AM
I picked up a Lyman 2200 several years ago. It still looks and works like new. I keep it covered when not in use. It has been a solid tool and I would buy another if it craps out.

TXGunNut
08-02-2015, 01:27 PM
I have a Vibra Kleen that I bought back in the '80s when I first started reloading. Still chuggin along. ( can't believe the sticker is still on it)
Made in Denton, TX..

I remember those, even met the folks that made them.

kryogen
08-02-2015, 09:42 PM
the FA one works, but IMO, it's weak. You get what you pay for obviously.

armprairie
08-06-2015, 10:28 AM
I first used the Lymans I bought from Midway back in the 80's or early 90's. About ten years ago I bought the Frankford Arsenal with the tumbler and bucket. It has quit twice over the years, both times a broken wire to the motor that I finally re-routed. I'd say I've gotten more than I paid for having done over 100,000 cases. I'm always wondering when the bottom will wear through. I also used it to clean up lead shot salvaged from our trap field.

TXGunNut
08-06-2015, 09:27 PM
I feel like I got much more than my money's worth out of my old FA cleaner, just not sure they are the same quality today so I went with the Lyman. The Lyman seems to be a bit smaller and that's consistent with my habits these days. I don't load big batches of ammo anymore, seldom more than 50 rounds of rifle brass or maybe 100 rds of 45 Colt ammo.
And yes, I'm going to use that same old walnut media. I'm beginning to wonder if it will outlast ME.

tdoor4570
08-07-2015, 10:21 AM
My old FA gave up the fight after about 13 years, not bad for only a 90 day warrenty bought a new Berry's mfg unit , now to see how long it will last

Three44s
08-08-2015, 06:33 PM
I bought a Midway cleaner back in the early '90's .......... a model 2094 I believe. It's probably 2 1/2 times more capacity of the 1200 series.

The motor shook lose on it's mount and I sent it back to Midway and they repaired it and sent it back ..... been shakin' just fine ever since.

Three 44s

popper
08-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Those 'sealed' bearings really aren't. I use elec motor oil on them for the AC fan - just drown the bearing in oil and some seeps in. Lots cheaper than a new $400 motor. Most of the castings don't even have plugged oil holes anymore. Got to get around to lubing the garage door rollers with Gear's AC oil - really neat stuff - Kroil still gets gummy. That AC oil I started using on sprue plate - apply thick with Qtip, wait for it to flow a tad, wipe with paper towel and cast away. No brown gunk like 2 stroke oil.

Dragonheart
08-12-2015, 09:22 AM
if you can get past the price the big Dillon tumbler I bought it so many years ago, is what's right for me as it does a lot of brass. It does a better job faster than either of my Midway or Lyman tumblers and holds about three times as much. A friend of mine has used his so much he actually wore out the tub. He sent it back to Dillon for repair and they said, 'sorry we can't repair it", so they sent him a new one free of charge! Now that's Dillon service.

TXGunNut
09-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Something odd is going on with my new Lyman case cleaner, can't seem to get my media clean so the brass comes out shiny but covered in dust. Ran it with paper towels and that helped for awhile but now its dirty again. Been running the same walnut shell media for well over ten (fifteen?) years, may be time for a change. :coffeecom I'll try to get it clean, if not there's been a bag of new media sitting on the shelf for quite a few years now. :bigsmyl2:

Garyshome
09-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Not sure how old my FA is, but it has cleaned a lot of brass and still running.

Dragonheart
09-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Something odd is going on with my new Lyman case cleaner, can't seem to get my media clean so the brass comes out shiny but covered in dust. Ran it with paper towels and that helped for awhile but now its dirty again. Been running the same walnut shell media for well over ten (fifteen?) years, may be time for a change. :coffeecom I'll try to get it clean, if not there's been a bag of new media sitting on the shelf for quite a few years now. :bigsmyl2:

I don't put a lid on my tumbler and put it outside so the fine dust generated just blows away. I also put a few cap fulls of Nu Finish Car Polish in the tumbler when its running. This will clean and polish the brass much better and a lot faster. in a pinch the walnut media can be cleaned by soaking it in some hot water with a little dish soap then pouring it through a strainer then letting it dry out. Maybe some of this may help?

Harter66
09-05-2015, 10:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that was a joke about the media itself being pounded to dust......

swamp
09-05-2015, 10:38 PM
To keep my media clean I add about a tablespoon of mineral spirits with a paper towel torn into about six pieces. The towels come out black and keeps the media clean. I have the large Dillon.
swamp

retread
09-05-2015, 10:40 PM
I started with an FA, which is still going strong. I then bought a used Dillon 2000 for the larger capacity. It is big. The Dillon is quieter than the FA. Never had a problems with either one. I also bought a drum from a RCBS wet tumbler that I got real cheap because a guy replaced his because there was a crack is the end plate of the one I bought. Fixed the crack with epoxy and built a drive for it out of some old conveyor rolls and a motor out of a clothes dryer. I use that one with SS pins and really like the results.

Dragonheart
09-06-2015, 08:07 AM
I started with an FA, which is still going strong. I then bought a used Dillon 2000 for the larger capacity. It is big. The Dillon is quieter than the FA. Never had a problems with either one. I also bought a drum from a RCBS wet tumbler that I got real cheap because a guy replaced his because there was a crack is the end plate of the one I bought. Fixed the crack with epoxy and built a drive for it out of some old conveyor rolls and a motor out of a clothes dryer. I use that one with SS pins and really like the results.

What is the RPM on the tumbler? Is the motor a low RPM or did you slow it down with pulleys or a jack shaft? I am thinking about putting a tumbler together and appreciate any advice from someone that had already done one.

Dragonheart
09-06-2015, 08:12 AM
I'm pretty sure that was a joke about the media itself being pounded to dust......

Actually, there is a lot of dust that comes off my big Dillon Tumbler. So if you use the lid it all stays in and at some point you end up with dust on the cases not to mention dust in the air and all over my garage when I separate and have to shake. That is the reason my tumbling is now an outside job with the lid off.

flashhole
09-06-2015, 08:20 AM
As needed I take the walnut media outside and drop pour it from about 3 feet into another catch pan. I do this 4 or 5 times and the breeze takes the dust away and catches the heavier media in the pan. Then back in the tumbler and add new stuff to the level I want.

TXGunNut
09-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Thanks, all. I think I need to do my tumbling and separating outside. I generally do but have been lazy lately. I don't like to use mineral spirits inside but the paper towels alone are doing a pretty good job. All kidding aside I think the more aggressive action of this machine may be why the media seems to get dirty faster.