PDA

View Full Version : Stepping back in time ...

Digger
07-25-2015, 01:41 PM
No wonder I want to go out to the man cave whenever I get a chance ...
Truly takes me back using these toys .
The senior was put on the market the year I was born , 51 ... the "A" model from what I understand was made in 1946 .
the lyman 45 , the Meepos and the Seaco pot ... all still functioning great and very enjoyable to use.
Guess it is obvious that some of us appreciate the older pieces from back when.

Pavogrande
07-25-2015, 06:12 PM
The meepos is rather clever -- the die I have (452) started life as a grade 8 cap screw --

John Wayne
08-27-2015, 08:24 AM
I'm with ya Digger. I like the old stuff also. Solid feel and the castings are of a much higher quality. I'm surprised that Lyman, RCBS, etc don't have a detailed history page of their presses and equipment. I have thought about suggesting Cast Boolits set up a history/sticky area for us. Pictures of the equipment and timelines of manufacture would be nice. On a side note, I recently learned from the Star forum website that a dealer who goes by "ricketts" on ebay went to California and bought an estate of loading equipment that included 433 presses (as I recall). He has been selling the odds and ends and a few presses on ebay now and I have picked up an item from him. I would have loved to see all that.

Green Frog
08-27-2015, 09:01 AM
I've wanted a Meepos bullet sizer just to try it, but every time one comes up on the 'bay, somebody else seems to want it more! Have any of you used both a Star sizer and a Meepos to be able to compare their quality and their working?

Froggie

mdi
08-27-2015, 12:45 PM
What?! You can't possibly make good ammo with all that old, antique stuff. You need the most up date, state of the art, high $$$$ equipment available o the market today (and some newer stuff tomorrow!) :bigsmyl2: (JK!)

I appreciate fine tools, both reloading equipment and good hand tools...

Digger
08-27-2015, 03:29 PM
Yeah , when the older items come up in front of me where ever I am .. can't say no ..
The Meepos I am still playing with as a straight thru sizer at the moment , check and lube on the "45" for my 308 rifle stuff plus I have two more 45's , one I use for pistol rounds ... FUN !!!

Pressman
08-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Digger, your Hollywood Model A was in 1946 or close after. The original design dates back to about 1933/34. It was patented in 1935. And sold as the Universal reloading tool. Universal was sold to Hollywood sometime during the war years.

John Wayne, I was out in California at the estate evaluating it and putting a price on everything. If you can imagine a bed room with cupboards on two walls and presses and every imaginable reloading tool stacked in and around the room. I think I have pictures somewhere. Fortunately the mans wife was in on buying them and had an idea of what they were, just not their current value. I was offered the entire collection but common sense said no, though I did get the choicest pick of the lot. Wondering what to do about selling that many tools I thought of ricketts. He made a deal and came home with a real haul.

Ken

Digger
08-27-2015, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the correction Pressman ... I got the dates mixed up as I think you have related this to me in the past ..
We would be lost without the knowledge that you and others here have passed on .
thank you much..
If ever you find those pictures you mention , I think we all would love to see them .
Wow ! , that many reloading tools in one room ...
Kind of like the member here that also has a "wall" full of Hollywoods ...:shock:

John Wayne
08-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Well Pressman that place sounds like heaven on earth!
As a side note I am looking for a Hollywood A model if anyone wants to part with one.

atr
08-30-2015, 01:22 PM
amen Digger !
I am still using the equipment I originally bought back in the 60's

Wayne Smith
09-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Since I bought the Hollywood Sr. and the Brown Bair I didn't need my RCBS Jr3 any more. I passed it on to Arisaka99 and he is using it.

Btw, Chris, next time you are down remind me that I have the primer catcher cup for it. It is about 30% effective!

Pavogrande
09-03-2015, 05:43 AM
Yes, pressman you saw the "gun" room and maybe the "fishin" room with the dies and rifles, but I bet you did not see the garage, the greenhouse or the 24" wide exterior cabinet loaded with brass, ammo, and hundreds of die blanks --
Oh and a couple pallets of shotshells --
Too bad you did not get the frankford arsenal tooling it was complete and in great shape -
It's all gone now --- RG was a long time friend --

Pressman
09-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Pavogrande, I saw some of that, really too busy going through the gun room to look around much. When Rick went out there he found more presses and other tools, and lots more dies. I got the found presses. As for the Frankford arsenal set, TQ got it as he was there before me. I was at his place summer before last and got to touch it! After I left he sent an extra Frankford press and a Easton Little Giant press home for me. As a gift.

I had talked to RG on the phone, he really was a great guy. It is people like that, with such a gift to reaching out to others, that I try to keep in mind as examples of good behavior as I go through life. Doug Elliot is another.

Ken