PDA

View Full Version : Useful pewter?

Seeker
07-25-2015, 12:26 PM
I just picked these up at the flea market. Hasbro 2000 GI Joe Pewter classics. They weigh 19 1/2 oz. They were marked $10 ea. I got them both for $5. How did I do? I'm rather new at this.

bangerjim
07-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Probably collector items. Worth far more than a few ounces of lousy Sn.

check out value on-line B4 melting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banger

imashooter2
07-25-2015, 02:36 PM
Probably lead free pewter.

While Jim is no doubt correct as to them being worth more to a collector, the problem is always in finding that collector...

Seeker
07-25-2015, 03:55 PM
I googled them... 5 bucks a piece is what they are worth. There are some on E Bay that someone is trying to get more for, but they aren't selling. They're going in the pot.

brassrat
07-25-2015, 10:08 PM
You will regret their destruction. Those are fantastic, unless you're a US military hater.

XxWoodsHunterxX
07-25-2015, 10:29 PM
I'll buy them from you and pay for shipping to me.

imashooter2
07-25-2015, 10:34 PM
You will regret their destruction. Those are fantastic, unless you're a US military hater.

Or maybe you just want tin more than dust collectors. I've melted a lot of stuff that others think were too nice for the pot. I don't regret a single one.

jsizemore
07-26-2015, 09:37 AM
I'll buy them from you and pay for shipping to me.

Make him an offer he can't refuse....like 2 lbs of tin.

Seeker
07-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Make him an offer he can't refuse....like 2 lbs of tin.
That might work. Maybe I ought to take this to Swapping and Selling and have an auction.

lightman
07-26-2015, 03:02 PM
I have had these same thoughts concerning melting pewter. Some of the stuff pictured show a level of craftsmanship that you don't see anymore. I'm talking the handmade stuff, not the cast stuff. Seems ashamed to destroy it. Then you look up the value and it has very little. I guess its not an issue for me, as I'm not finding any around here.

brassrat
07-26-2015, 10:21 PM
I am only kidding, but not when I say a pewter melt will be tomorrow! I did put aside a candle holder/ portable light, of years gone by.

bangerjim
07-27-2015, 12:00 PM
As said before in several pewter threads.......check it out B4 just melting for a bit of Sn!. Plenty of Sn on here is S&S.

I have numerous antique pewter items I paid only a few $$ for that are worth hundreds. You just need to be careful on the old stuff and anything that is actually signed by the artist.

banger

RogerDat
07-27-2015, 10:29 PM
I have two small plates with a really faint touch mark that looks like a crude crown made with 3 dots. Both too dark with tarnish to be lead free and I suspect that the touch mark was put on by hand with a hammer and punch. Not going to melt those until I can determine their age and worth. I'll do without that tin even if these are simply really old and not especially valuable. Don't need it that bad. If I did I would not let DW snag what she wants before I do a melt down. Last batch pitcher and solid candle holder with handle dodged the pot.

FWIW - I would not melt down toy soldiers. They speak to me of a time when toys were not plastic or battery powered. Worth keeping just for that.

XxWoodsHunterxX
07-27-2015, 11:12 PM
FWIW - I would not melt down toy soldiers. They speak to me of a time when toys were not plastic or battery powered. Worth keeping just for that.

Exactly. They are from a time when toys
Lasted and meant something. At least to me. I have toy cars and toys from my younger years that are worth money but more they have a sentimental value. Unfortunately I have no pewter to trade or I would.

RogerDat
07-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Ill offer to try to save the soldiers. Can make it a 3 way deal.
If woodshunter wants to buy some pewter from me for shipment to Seeker
Seeker will send the pewter soldiers to woods hunter as payment.

Or they can just do a cash deal for the soldiers and I'll agree to sell a couple of pounds of pewter or some 50/50 solder to Seeker so he still has the tin at the end.

Like I said I think they are a little too neat to melt and it sounds like woodshunter might really appreciate them more than most. If woodshunter does not want to then I'll PM Seeker and see if we can work something out.