PDA

View Full Version : Interesting discovery upon cleaning

velocette
07-25-2015, 12:21 PM
This morning, I disassembled the Whitney Rolling Block rifle for a thorough cleaning.
In addition to the normal barrel maintenance.
Somewhere over 250 rounds of lead bullets fired with assorted propellants.
Goex FFFg, Unique, AA 1680 & H 777.
What I found was that there was NO powder fouling in the action at all. None by the breech,
none down in the action, none in or around the trigger area. No powder fouling.
Nor was there any leading of the bore, not even any of the little flakes that are usually found.
This I did not expect. It was cleaner than my modern bolt rifles after that many rounds.
Learn something every day.

bedbugbilly
07-25-2015, 04:50 PM
A little while back, I made a post inquiring about just what you are talking about. I'm still considering a rolling block but would be shooting both BP and smokeless and after shooting BP for over 50 years, I was concerned about fouling in the action itself and the necessity of having to do what you did on a more frequent basis than if it was just shot with smokeless.

Your experience is a good testimonial for the rolling block! Sort of makes me "yearn" for one even more!

merlin101
07-25-2015, 08:27 PM
This morning, I disassembled the Whitney Rolling Block rifle for a thorough cleaning.
In addition to the normal barrel maintenance.
Somewhere over 250 rounds of lead bullets fired with assorted propellants.
Goex FFFg, Unique, AA 1680 & H 777.
What I found was that there was NO powder fouling in the action at all. None by the breech,
none down in the action, none in or around the trigger area. No powder fouling.
Nor was there any leading of the bore, not even any of the little flakes that are usually found.
This I did not expect. It was cleaner than my modern bolt rifles after that many rounds.
Learn something every day.
Are ya sure you didn't already clean it and forgot about it? Not like that would ever happen to me!

missionary5155
07-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Greetings
If the brass is the proper size for the chamber and the case neck expands completely in the chamber neck then there is no place for fouling to go but down the barrel. With some cases they need to be annealed in the neck area to achieve this sealing action due to stiff brass and low pressures associated with old calibers. But with a little work there is no reason a rifle in reasonably good condition should be coughing fouling into the action.
Mike in Peru

.22-10-45
07-25-2015, 11:25 PM
Few weeks ago, I took a 135 year old Ballard A-1 Mid-Range .40-63 out for first time shooting 70gr. Swiss 1 1/2 FG & 300-330gr. bullets. No leading in bore and no evidence of fowling in chamber or breech area. I did however anneal case necks before 1st. loading.

ndnchf
07-26-2015, 07:26 AM
I'm not too surprised. As mentioned, with a properly sealing case and cleaning from breech to muzzle, there really shouldn't be any fouling in the action. The problem arises more so with rifles chambered for thick wall, straight cases that don't seal as well. The rifle and cartridge designers and engineers of the old days knew what they were doing.

velocette
07-26-2015, 09:47 PM
I continue to be surprised and impressed by the accuracy, quality and design
of this 110+ year old rifle. It is simple, strong and accurate with an excellent trigger.
It does it's job properly and well.

curator
07-26-2015, 11:14 PM
2 shots with smokeless powder loads (23 grains of SR4759) and my .40-65 BPCR Browning bore is shiny clean after 50 rounds of Black Powder loads. (60 grains Olde Eynsford 1.5Fg and 375 grain Redding cast boolit.)