PDA

View Full Version : TC wedge pin too small for my GM drop-in

eka
03-27-2008, 11:26 PM
I recently bought a Green Mountain .32 drop-in for the TC Renegade. After installing the barrel, the TC wedge pin will just literally fall out of the rifle. Anybody else ran into this with the GM barrels? If so, what was your fix?

Keith

madcaster
03-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Just run over to ole Bob's and tell him to file you out one Keith!HeHE....
Or bring it with you this weekend I come by and I will do so.
JS

eka
03-28-2008, 12:49 AM
You know Jeff, I'll have to admit, I did think to myself that ole Bob might have to take a look under the hood.

Keith

idahoron
03-28-2008, 01:01 AM
is your barrel loose in the stock? The barrel on my 45 was loose in the stock and the wedge pin just fell out. I bent the wedge pin a TINY bit and this tightened it up a bunch, but i still wasn't happy with the groups. I glass bedded the end of the stock about 5" and this made a big improvement in the size of my groups. Ron

mooman76
03-28-2008, 01:07 AM
I did what Idahoron said(bend the pin a smig) and had no problems. Different manuacturers pins fit different. Some are a little thicker or wider than others.

madcaster
03-28-2008, 01:12 AM
Oh,another thing is if the barrel is loose in the stock cut some shims from aluminium cans and put them between the barrel and barrel channel....

eka
03-28-2008, 11:01 AM
The stock to barrel fit seems tight. However, I like the idea of bedding the stock and may do that eventually anyway. I have read a bunch of comments on Green Mountain barrels and they are all mostly great and not a one I have read said anything about having any issue with the stock pin.

Keith

Rattus58
03-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Green mountain barrels have not fit properly in any of my stocks (3) (40,54 (2),58) and I've resorted to bedding the whole stock, much better than a shim. I was sealing the area between the lock (L&R replacement) and the stock channel and that made a huge difference in cleaning the gun as well.

Aloha... :cool:

waksupi
03-29-2008, 02:37 AM
Bend the pin. That is the proper fix, and is a bedding technique. The rifle will tell you how much downward pressure you want.

eka
03-29-2008, 12:42 PM
I chose to bend the barrel staple in very slightly. This tightened the pin up nicely. This way, the pin was kept straight and will still work with the original barrel.

Keith

mooman76
03-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Could have just got another wedge pin. I like have an extra anyway!

Rattus58
03-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Bend the pin. That is the proper fix, and is a bedding technique. The rifle will tell you how much downward pressure you want.

Just out of curiosity, how is bending a wedge pin a bedding technique. I've Heard of "mud", tape, and paper/cardboard called bedding techniques, but how does a bent pin accomplish this especially with a loose barrel channel where the barrel is free to move?

Aloha.... Tom :cool:

waksupi
03-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Just out of curiosity, how is bending a wedge pin a bedding technique. I've Heard of "mud", tape, and paper/cardboard called bedding techniques, but how does a bent pin accomplish this especially with a loose barrel channel where the barrel is free to move?

Aloha.... Tom :cool:

By directing more pressure downwards, you change the tension on the barrel in the stock. You need to have the right pressures, for most rifles to shoot thier best. I don't have loose barrel channels, but pulling the barrels down more in some, definitely helps. You are basically changing the barrel harmonics.

Rattus58
04-01-2008, 11:17 PM
I guess what you meant was, that by exerting more downward tension you are exerting pressure on the barrel and changing harmonics, LIKE you might by bedding the rifle along the barrel.

Aloha.... :cool:

BigBore56
02-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Glass bed that thing with Devcon and you will not be sorry. You will have even pressure the full length of the stock, and the pin will fit snugly.

northmn
02-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Both tips for this situation was mentioned, bend the wedge or tap down the slot. Another thing I like to do with wedges is to slot the wedge and put a small wood screw (#4?) in the side of the barrel channel so that the wedge is retained. Called a keeper wedge. I use the screw in case I want to take it out again some use small brads. You do not slot the wedge the whole length but only until it permits barrel removal and leave the tip whole. This was done on many originals including the famed Hawkens.

Northmn

KCSO
02-23-2009, 03:38 PM
The wedge should bear against the bottom of the loop and hhold the barrel DOWN and tight to the stock. If it isn't touching you can either put a bend in the loop on the barrel or the wedge can be bent slightly. No maker can put together a universaal barrel that will fit perfect in every stock so each of these READY to GO outfits will need some fitting.

Joe Bob
02-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Both tips for this situation was mentioned, bend the wedge or tap down the slot. Another thing I like to do with wedges is to slot the wedge and put a small wood screw (#4?) in the side of the barrel channel so that the wedge is retained. Called a keeper wedge. I use the screw in case I want to take it out again some use small brads. You do not slot the wedge the whole length but only until it permits barrel removal and leave the tip whole. This was done on many originals including the famed Hawkens.

Northmn

I'm interested in this...could you post a photo of what you're talking about? Thanks, JB

Charlie Sometimes
02-23-2009, 06:15 PM
I bought a 45 caliber Green Mountain from Dixie Gun Works earlier this month. I have a 54 caliber Renegade and wanted a 45, too. When I finally got the barrel (excited!) and tried to install it, It would not seat all the way down into the channel all the way out. Checked the fit to the breach hook- okay; checked the breach plug- rubbing against the lock. Had to remove some wood from the forend at the ramrod entry point, but still had spring in the fit. Felt like it was too much and might stress the whole system. Hammer was off center of the nipple, too. Sent it back. I am not modifying my rifle more than that to fit something that was supposed to be interchangable. Cost me return shipping, too.
I'll just buy a 45 caliber Hawken or Seneca somewhere, sometime. If I can't find that 45 caliber underhammer I rather have!

Joe Bob
03-17-2009, 08:28 AM
thanks