PDA

View Full Version : Miha 205 HP 45 ACP

sixshot
07-24-2015, 10:33 PM
Anyone using this bullet in their 45? Just picked one up & I've tried various seating depths (powder coated) all will seat in my case gauge & I've also used 4 different loads that have worked in other 45's but this bullet won't cycle. Its not quite going into battery & I have to pop the grip pretty hard while holding the slide to get the round to release. My gun is a new Ruger 1911 with maybe 150 rounds through it. My 230 gr. loads cycle just fine, these 205 gr. HP's do not, thoughts.

Dick

huntnman
07-24-2015, 10:52 PM
Try removing the barrel, do a plunk test. Might have to reduce over all length if chamber too tight for this boolit. Another problem I have incurred, brass bulge, fixed this by running loaded rounds through a lee bulge buster. I have used this mold for thousands of rounds, with great success in at least 10 different 45's.

VHoward
07-24-2015, 11:32 PM
I am using a M-P 452 200 HP in my Ruger SR1911 without issues. In fact, it is my favorite.

tja6435
07-25-2015, 12:29 AM
Your barrel needs throated. I had the same thing happen until I had it done

sixshot
07-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the replies, the strange thing is all the rounds will drop in a case gauge, all the 230 gr. rounds fire just fine so I really don't think its case bulge but I will do the plunk test today. Also I'm not sure it could be throating where the 230 gr. TC slugs are chambering just fine. I'm still leaning towards a OAL problem myself but could be wrong. I know so far something isn't working & I'd sure like to shoot this bullet in it. I'm sizing to .4515" after PC, have done for years in all my 45's. I also picked up a new Wilson mag thats going to get tested today, just to see if its a mag problem for some reason. Thanks guys.

Dick

Shooter6br
07-25-2015, 11:31 AM
Mine is 200 grain with my alloy. 210 solid No problem with my Kimber Target. OAL is a little "touchy

Dragonheart
07-25-2015, 11:47 PM
I would suggest checking what the maxium OAL is for this bullet/barrel combination, as well as all bullets you want to get the best accuracy from. If you haven't done this before take a sized 45 case that is .895 in length. Using a Dremel slice two vertical cuts about half was down the case so a bullet can be slid into the case, but is still held under tension. Now put a bullet into the case where it just just starts into the mouth of the case. Now push the case into the barrel until it is firmly seated into the chamber. Pull out the case and measure the OAL of the cartridge. This will tell you where that particular bullet touches the rifling on that particular barrel. Now you know the maxium OAL, but obviously the OAL has to fit in the magazine and not touch the rifling as there needs to be a few thousands jump. As already stated a bulge will create problems as well as too long of an OAL. An over crimped case can also create a round that won't chamber properly. I would suspect a bullet problem and not s chamber problem.

sixshot
07-26-2015, 01:14 AM
Solved it this morning after two more trips to the range. Don't want to load too many rounds at a time! As mentioned I've ran 230 TC slugs through it, 225 RN's, 200 SWC's & they've all ran fine, no hiccups, except for this bullet.
All the bullets would drop flush in my case gauge including these. Today I stripped the gun & took a few rounds that had dropped in the gauge & found they wouldn't quite chamber in the barrel, close but no cigar. Seating a bit at a time I loaded up 2 batches of 6 each, loaded with Bullseye powder. 5 grs & also 5.5 grs & headed back to the range (one mile) Purred like a kitten with both loads, so it was OAL after all & a pretty close margin at that. After a slight adjustment for windage on the Novaks I ran 2 plate racks back to back & headed home for some ice tea & a extended loading session. The 5 gr. load will go in the 1911 & the 5.5 gr. load will be used in my S&W 45 Colt Mountain Gun thats cut for moon clips. Life is good!

Dick

Michael J. Spangler
07-27-2015, 10:43 PM
If this is the boolit I'm thinking about I seat to an OAL of 1.190" and they feed great in just about anything I've put them through.
Much longer than that and the bullet would bump into the rifling and stop it from going into battery.

sounds like you had the same problem and solved it already