PDA

View Full Version : Tow wads & .610" RB's a la Mike Beliveau in my 20ga. Trade Gun

Maven
07-24-2015, 07:24 PM
For background, you may wish to refer to this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?281329-Good-article-about-roundball-loading-in-smoothbores

After having accumulated tow fiber (Susan Wallace/Silver Shuttle, Memphis, TN) and .610" RB's (.611" in fact), I tried to replicate Mike Beliveau's loading technique, and I hoped, his results. Like Mike, I used 100- and 110gr. charges of FFg (He used Goex; I used Diamondback) @ 50 yd. My results, over 2 days, weren't as good as Mike's. What I found was that tow fiber over powder and over shot "wads" + a bare .610" RB did -> enviable groups, it also -> huge flyers. Furthermore, the small groups were well to the right of my point of aim: 8" to the right in fact. Elevation was OK though. When I tested a smaller .597" RB with tow OP & OS wads, I saw the same pattern: a tight group 6" from point of aim, but an equal number of flyers. Btw, I used 90gr. FFg with the .597" RB.

Tow fiber is easy to work with and reusable if you don't mind picking it up down range. However, since it is used dry, i.e., without any lube whatsoever, it can (a) smolder and (b) foul the bore like you wouldn't believe. I had some of the worst crud rings I ever experienced after using it. A partial solution (no pun intended) is to damp swab the bore after each shot, which may not be ideal for those who hunt. In short, I'm not convinced it's the best thing since sliced bread in my trade gun.

As I still had some .597" RB's and 5/8" corrugated cardboard wads (liquor/wine boxes; boxes that are shipped to you) that I punched out 7 months ago for a woods walk, I decided to try them patched (.018" pillow ticking) @ 50 yd. too, using a proper front rest and rear bag. Although the group with 90gr. FFg was low, it was on the target and slightly to the right. My homemade wads worked much better than I expected and much more predictably than the tow wads. Btw, although felt wads, also homemade, work well at shorter ranges, today I found them not so reliable @ 50 yd. Overall, I'm pleased that a cardboard wad works so well since now I don't have to search for an expensive .610" mould, which I now realize I don't need.

Mytmousemalibu
07-24-2015, 10:23 PM
I have been curious about his Tow loads and how they worked for other shooters. As anyone that watches Mike Beliveau knows, he likes to be authentic and nothing wrong with that! Wonder if a guy was able to travel back in time and hand the boys some punched cardboard wads and sent them on their way, bet the next chance you would get mobbed for some more of the curious round disks of accuracy!

waksupi
07-25-2015, 12:16 AM
Your tow experience is common, fliers are going to happen. It does not center the ball properly, or form a good gas seal, which I think is the main culprit.

Maven
07-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Ric, I was using [donated] RB's cast from a Lyman mould, which often leaves a large sprue. When using the tow wad, which is seated first, you can't center the sprue and have to live with it being randomly positioned. That can't be good for accuracy. OTOH, if you push the OP tow wad into the muzzle just enough to allow the RB to be centered (sprue up), you run the risk of not being able to fully seat both on the powder charge. (Don't ask!) Whether the tow wads improve accuracy @ 25 yd., I can't say, but I'm pretty happy with the short range accuracy I'm getting with a patched RB and the core. cardboard disk at both 25- and 50 yd. The pic below has been posted before, but it was a 25 yd. target and the same trade gun (80gr. FFg though):