PDA

View Full Version : Where to Hunt Prairie Dogs in Kansas

brstevns
07-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Where can a person go to hunt Prairie Dogs in Kansas for cheap? Maybe Government or State Land? Been to the Kansas web site but is not of much help.

Wolfer
07-24-2015, 05:32 PM
I used to hunt a lot on Treg Hatcher's place near Syracuse KS. Almost to the CO. line.
I hear he is charging hunters now.

In in years past there were a few dog towns around Ashland KS. I haven't been for some time but my buddies that still go have been having good luck in the southeast corner of Colorado. Near Springfield and Campo. Friendly people, BLM land and a license can be purchased by the day whereas KS only sells them by the year.

When I was going a lot the best way to find a place was to pick a town on the map that I thought looked likely. Call information for the chamber of commerce. Many small towns don't have one but if they do these women know everyone in the county and all their business. They can rattle off phone numbers without looking them up.

People in rural western Ks. are extremely friendly and helpful. Virtually anyone with praire dogs will let you hunt.
good luck
Woody

brstevns
07-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Still looking for help. No one hunts public land for these?

richhodg66
07-28-2015, 05:23 PM
The Cimmaron Grasslands are down in southwestern Kansas, National Forest Service property. Been meaning to get out there to try shooting prairie dogs for 20 years now, I even called and got their office to send a map once, but the Army schedule never let me get around to going there. A few guys I've talked to who've been there said the shooting is real good.

richhodg66
07-28-2015, 05:30 PM
Info here;

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5368151

brstevns
07-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Info here;

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5368151
Have you hunted this area?

richhodg66
07-29-2015, 12:13 AM
Nope. Have talked to people who have and the shooting was good then. I'd call the Forest service office and ask. They'll likely tell you where any active towns are.

brstevns
07-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Nope. Have talked to people who have and the shooting was good then. I'd call the Forest service office and ask. They'll likely tell you where any active towns are. Thanks for the help. It will be sometime next year if plans fall together. At least now I have a starting point.