PDA

View Full Version : What did I put in my promelt

odinohi
07-24-2015, 07:07 AM
I bought around 30 lbs and smelted it with some WW's. 4 trays full which is around 100lb. I forgot about it sitting outside and it rained a little. I put them in the shop for a few days to dry. Making 1 oz sinkers I decided to try some in the pot. All water was not gone and it started to react to the water. I pulled the ingot back out. Less then half a pound melted off it.
It started turning very blue but wasn't real hot. It made great looking sinkers, but then the pot started dripping and dripping. Emptied the pot and cleaned the spout and sides and bottom of pot. Very difficult to get it all out of the spout but finally did. Added some good ww lead and was then good to go. I don't think this was zink but maybe some bearing metal? What do you think it was?
Anyways, I have 100 lb to make go cart weights with.

jabo52521
07-24-2015, 10:05 AM
Zinc, maybe?

runfiverun
07-24-2015, 11:20 AM
more like copper, or nickel.

odinohi
07-24-2015, 01:09 PM
more like copper, or nickel.
This is what I am thinking also. It didn't seem to matter how much I diluted it with ww lead, still blue. Not gonna make that mistake again. I have three promelts and seem like I have been working on them a lot lately. RCBS will send you parts for free, but tired of the down time.

Just Duke
07-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Babbet?

odinohi
07-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Got it all poured into go cart weights today and my smelting pot emptied and cleaned out. This ones behind me now. Thanks all!

35Whelen
07-25-2015, 01:32 AM
I tend to think when you get a deep blue almost purple...thats an indication of Pure Lead in my experience. And the pot a bit too hot. Turn it down and do a hardness test.....my bet is it's almost pure lead. Just my two cents