PDA

View Full Version : My experience with Smith & Wesson

jeepyj
07-24-2015, 06:08 AM
Recently I picked a fairly new 5" 629. It looked just like new with no signs of wear. On my first trip to the range while shooting double action it had three fail-to-fire rounds. Looked like a decent hammer strike but when I put them in my buddy's revolver they all shot. I experimented a bit with several types of ammo and it continued to disappoint. For some reason I decided to try it single action and everything fired. I even tried running double action the first time through and single action the second time through to finish off the FTF's.
Brought it to the LGS where I picked up to asked what they thought I should do. Thier response was nothing let us send it to Smith. Well less than two weeks later and zero charge it is just like brand new. Smith said they replaced the firing pin and the main spring. I should mention I had checked the main spring adjustment in the beginning and it was already cranked up all the way.
I very happy with the customer service of Smith & Wesson and my LGS
jeepyj

rosewood
07-24-2015, 06:58 AM
I wonder if the previous owner had replaced the hammer spring to lighten the trigger and over did it. S&W is usually pretty good about repairs. I love the fact they pay shipping both ways. Only company that does that I can think of.

Rosewood

BK7saum
07-24-2015, 07:52 AM
I doubt it was a Smith and Wesson problem. Previous owner used a lighter mainspring or shortened the mainspring screw.

Glad they fixed it for you.

Brad

Hickory
07-24-2015, 07:55 AM
You can get a longer firing pin from Brownell's.

Petrol & Powder
07-24-2015, 08:58 AM
Yep, someone performed some "gunsmithing" on it after it left S&W & before it came into your hands. Sounds like a good resolution.

rosewood
07-24-2015, 09:13 AM
You can get a longer firing pin from Brownell's.
Uh, I believe he said S&W already fixed it.

TCFAN
07-24-2015, 09:15 AM
I have also had good service from S&W.At the first of the year i sent in a 14-6 that had developed a accuracy problem along with spitting lead very bad.They sent a pre-paid shipping label. After about 3 or 4 weeks I received a phone call from someone at S&W saying that my revolver could not be fixed to there satisfaction.My first question was what can I do? The person on the phone said that since the revolver has a lifetime warranty they will replace it with my choice of a LONG list of handguns that he read off for me.
This caught me off guard because a lot of the model numbers on the list I was not familiar with.

I chose a 686 6 inch 6 shot because it was as close to my 14-6 as I was going to get. After about 7 more weeks a brand new 686 showed up at my gun dealer.It is even more accurate than my old 14-6 was when it was new.
S&W did me right on this and I was not out one dime. Even the dealer refused to charge me his transfer fee..............Terry

44man
07-24-2015, 09:20 AM
S&W will take care of you. Yep, someone wanted a lighter trigger pull. The reason double action failed is the hammer stroke is shorter.

wantoutofca
07-24-2015, 05:40 PM
I had a very good experience with them as well. I was going to get my throats reamed by a local smith but s&w replaced the cylinder for free instead.

Rodfac
07-26-2015, 09:21 AM
Smith has "fixed" two of my J frames over the years on their dime. One was 22 years old at the time, the other brand new, both were back in my hands in less than two weeks. The CS rep. couldn't have been nicer, more professional on the phone...first rate service. Wish they'd get rid of the lock on new models, but their CS is top notch. Rod