PDA

View Full Version : Browning BLR's steel or aluminum receiver?

historicfirearms
07-23-2015, 12:55 PM
I have a BLR 358 with an aluminum receiver. The LGS has an older BLR 358 with a steel receiver that I am drawn to and I am thinking of trading mine for theirs. Should I do it? Which is the better rifle? I am fairly happy with mine but like the looks and smoothness of the steel one a little better.

OuchHot!
07-23-2015, 02:58 PM
I have a very old (protruding magazine) steel receiver BLR. A friend has a newer aluminum receiver. There is no difference in durability since the receiver is just a mount for the gear sectors. I think each is as good as the other but we all like steel, don't we? I have to say the aluminum receiver seems to "hang" better offhand shooting. I suspect that with heavy use, the al will wear differently and maybe that would look weird. At the end of the day the most important thing is what you think. I am getting ready to buy an aluminum take-down.

seaboltm
07-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Quality is the same, but I prefer steel.

snowwolfe
07-23-2015, 05:40 PM
I own two of the aluminum models. One is a .308 take down in stainless/laminate. The other is a blued/walnut in .358.
They both will outlast me.

MT Gianni
07-23-2015, 09:42 PM
If the steel has the magazine that protrudes on an angle from the receiver, be aware they are rare and costly. The last one I looked at they wanted $150 for the magazine.

Elkins45
07-23-2015, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't trade for the steel one. The receiver doesn't take enough stress to need it, and magazines are made of unobtainium.

Speedo66
07-25-2015, 06:13 AM
My early model is steel, but based on Browning quality, that aluminum model will be fine for many generations to come.

On the other hand, if you like the steel model, what's to think about, get what you like.

Ramjet-SS
07-25-2015, 07:54 PM
I just gave my 358 to my son it is take down aluminum receiver. The gun is very handi and accurate what a nice powerful rifle. The Ultimate elk rifle for close and medium range hunting.

Tatume
07-26-2015, 07:06 AM
Mine is aluminum and I wouldn't trade it for steel. I like light weight rifles for hunting.

Canuck Bob
07-30-2015, 05:59 PM
The aluminum version still has all the locking grooves built into the barrel so strength is not an issue. The only question that would concern me is the scope mount holes. Are they threaded directly into the aluminum?

OuchHot!
07-31-2015, 02:59 PM
Yes, and from that point of view, you want to use a mild thread locker and make sure they are tight. The galvanic corrosion (Al receiver/ steel screw) potential has never been an issue. I have only used .308 so I don't know how the .325wsm and 338 Win Mag stand up, but have never heard of an issue.

historicfirearms
07-31-2015, 09:23 PM
I made up my mind and got the steel receivered model. After going back to the gun shop and racking the lever again, the smoothness of the action just felt to nice. I will try to get some pictures up in a few days and do a little shooting with it and report back.

historicfirearms
08-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Mine is aluminum and I wouldn't trade it for steel. I like light weight rifles for hunting.
My new (to me) steel receivered rifle weighs 6.7 lb. My old aluminum rifle weighed 6.8 pounds. Not much of a difference.

EDG
08-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Browning should make the receivers all out of titanium then blast with very fine baking soda.
You will get a matte battle ship grey receiver that will never corrode and is much harder than aluminum. If it gets scuffed it is still grey.

W.R.Buchanan
08-08-2015, 02:58 PM
I don't think many could afford a Titanium Levergun. It would be cool though.

Good thing for Ruger to Investment Cast?

Randy