PDA

View Full Version : Colt PP 32-20 buy or not?

DanM
07-23-2015, 11:24 AM
I found a Police Positive on our local trading post website with a lousy picture, but from what I can tell it is likely good to very good condition with a long barrel. The owner is asking $350. I know little about the 32-20 cartridge, only what I have picked up with searches on this site. The owner said that he had shot it a long time ago, and that he found some "regular 32" ammo that worked fine. Graf's is usually my source for odd brass, but they don't have any. What do we do for brass for this cart?
http://www.gowilkes.com/classifieds/photos/830945_0.jpg?h=20150723120840

Outpost75
07-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Starline has .32-20 brass. Keep loads light. It is not a strong gun.

Firing .32 S&W Long in a .32-20 is not a good idea because cases will split and accuracy will be poor firing the shorter cartridge in the longer .32-20 ch. Unless you have a fascination for the .32-20 or also a rifle in that caliber, you would be better off getting a Police Positive in .32 Colt New Police, was the .32 S&W Long with flatnosed bullet.

bedbugbilly
07-23-2015, 01:25 PM
While not considered a "strong" revolver - they obviously worked for many, many years. I've been looking for a vintage Colt or Smith for quite a while. If it locks up well and is in good shape - I'd have no problem paying $350 for a PP - regardless of finish wear if mechanically, it was in good shape. Everything I've read, you certainly don't what to shoot "hot" ammo in them. Milder re-loads should work just fine though.

Guesser
07-23-2015, 01:41 PM
I have 5 Colts in 32-20, 1 is a PP, as you call it. Actually the 32-20 was never chambered in the PP, the frame is too short for the 32-20 cartridge. The gun you are referring to is the "D" frame Police Positive Special. Same frame as the Detective Special and the Diamond Back of later years. Modern 32-20 ammo is safe for your gun. I cast Ideal 3118 @ 115 grains and load over 2.9 grains of Trail Boss. Great guns and a fabulous cartridge!!

DanM
07-23-2015, 03:05 PM
OK....Thanks, this is sounding better. If the action feels good and the finish is decent I will likely go ahead with the deal. Sounds like I will need some starline brass, a die set, and a mold or two and I will be good to go....DanM

Guesser
07-24-2015, 11:34 AM
+1 on dfariswheel

DanM
07-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Well, the deal may be off. The owner said he would bring the revo by my store, but never showed up. Called but no reply. Durn

bedbugbilly
07-28-2015, 09:17 AM
DanM - a LGS that I've purchased some vintage Smiths from in the past has a PP in 38 Spl. - 4" - sam condition you state the 32-20 is in - they have it listed at $411.99. Kind of an odd amount but probably to knock down on an offer if somebody wants it at $400 ?? They are pretty fair on their prices from everything I've seen. I just sold my Python though them - got 3X what I paid for it (bought it as an investment) and they did very fairly by me. So I don't think the price you are looking at is "out of line" at all.

If Starline is out of brass (which I believe they are for the 32 WCF) - put a WTB post up on this site and somebody who has some 32-20 brass to spare will probably help you out on that. Nothing wrong with 1X or 2X fired brass - and it would give you a chance to shoot that revolver if you get it!

Good luck! If you get it, I hope you'll post some photos of it. My search for a 32-20 still continues . . . . :-).

DanM
07-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Owner still hasn't shown up or returned my call. Deal must be off....

Char-Gar
07-28-2015, 01:21 PM
Count yourself lucky. If the guy doesn't want you to see the handgun there is a good reason. Old Colts can have several mechanical issues that are not easy or cheap to fix. The 32-20 was the last black powder round to be loaded with black powder and it is not uncommon to find them with trashed bores. As said the Colt Police Positive is a pretty weak platform and certainly can't be pushed.

The 32-20 round in Colt and Smith and Wesson sixguns are be difficult to get to shoot with good accuracy. It can be done, but it will take some work. For the money, buy a good 38 Special. There are more of them, they are cheaper and often in better shape. Power wise they will do anything the 32-20 will and more and getting a good 38 Special to shoot well is a piece of cake. A good 38 Special will do 95% of what we ask a handgun to do.

My Colt 32-20 is a 1913 vintage Army Special. I bought it 20 years ago for $110.00. It is an "OK" revolver, but holds no special attraction for me.

9.3X62AL
07-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Bedbug Billy--if the 38 caliber revolver is a Police Positive, then it is more likely a 38 S&W or "New Police" in caliber. If in 38 Special, it will be a Police Positive Special, which has a 1/4" longer cylinder than the PP models. Gotta be careful and precise with the nomenclature on these critters, or you can get into issues over caliber and componentry.

bouncer50
07-28-2015, 07:10 PM
I like the 32-20 i have a old Army model made in the 20s. It cheap to reload for fun to shoot good for small game at close range. Farmer and trapper like it. It did not ruin a lot of meat went you hit small game. Some even kill deer with it in a rifle in the old days.

bedbugbilly
07-28-2015, 08:29 PM
9.3X62AL - how right you are! My error! I just did a quick scan of what they had it listed at - and it's listed as a "Police Positive" in 38 Spl. I have to go down to the place in a day or so to pick up my check from the Python I sold and I'll take a look at it. My bet is it will be a PP in 38 S&W. Most of them down there are younger "semi-auto" guys who just consider the vintage wheel guns as "old revolvers" - unless they are newer Rugers, Smiths, etc. And to some of them . . a 38 is a 38. Don't even talk to them about a 38 Colt Short or Long - they wouldn't know one it they bit into it.

At one time, I was interested in getting something in a 38 S & W. I have several older Ideal molds for that cartridge = .360 but at this point, I don't need another cartridge! A couple years ago, I went down to the store to look at an "old S & W .32 Revolver" - got there and they couldn't find it - I'm guessing it was in the back buried somewhere on a bench. I ran across a nice S & W M & P - 5" (turned out to be shipped the same year I was born - 1952). At the same time I spotted a Combat Masterpiece - it was mislabeled. Both followed me home at the price they had on them - both excellent shooters. I once purchased a nice late 1930s S & W M & P "Target" from another gun shop. I spotted it and asked to look at it. The young sales guy just referred to it as an old Smith & Wesson - they had it underpriced even for a plain old M & P. When I was looking at it, the kid asked if I wouldn't be happier with a nice semi-automatic? Ahhhhh . . nope! I'll take this one. As he was writing it up his comment was "it looks to me like someone put a different set of sights on it after they got it - that's why we have that price on it as it's been altered from the way it was originally." O.K. I'll buy your story .. . and the gun. It too is a great shooter!

Thanks for noting the differences on the Colts! :-)

salvadore
07-31-2015, 12:59 PM
I'm not a big 'working on Colt revolvers is akin to achemy', but the info isn't readily available as in the 60s and 70s. Unlike the above poster my 1931 OP does speak to me. I'd love a Colt PPS in 32/20, 5" barrel please.

9.3X62AL
08-02-2015, 03:36 AM
My 32-20 revolvers now include a Colt Bisley Model SAA x 4-3/4" (1906)--a 1920 Army Special x 5" that is near-new condition--and a much-carried but well-treated S&W M&P x 5" from the early 1930s. The Bisley was the first handgun I ever shot, at about age 7-8 with my Dad.

Guesser
08-02-2015, 09:17 AM
I firmly believe that I can't have too many 32-20 revolvers. I have 5 Colts and 1 Uberti.