PDA

View Full Version : Pot wind screen design

SeabeeMan
07-23-2015, 11:15 AM
I am moving forward with my propane tank pot. I have one of BigBlack's valves that will be threaded to 1/2NPT as soon as my 55mm die wrench gets here. That will go into a steel bushing to adapt it up to the 3/4NPT on the tank. The tank has been full of water for the last few days and I'm going to cut it below the overlap today. This will mean that the top lip of the pot, when it is upside down so the valve is on the bottom, will have the overlap intact to help keep it stiff. The legs will either be 1.5" box tubing or 3" angle (it's what I have laying around that is strong enough) with some cross bracing.

I have this fryer: http://www.brucefoods.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/cajun-injector-30-quart-gas-turkey-fryer-w-seafood-boiler_22174-01929i_dv_1.jpg

I don't trust those legs for a minute so the pot will be free standing above the burner. I'd like to have a windscreen but am not quite sure how to go about making one. Should it be sealed against the pot all the way around where it meets or should there be some venting? Do I side it to come all the way down and around the burner, or am I just trying to catch some heat against the sides of the pot? I'm hoping somebody has a windscreen they either really love or really hate so i can figure out which direction to go/not to.

SeabeeMan
07-23-2015, 11:17 AM
500th post!!!

gwpercle
07-23-2015, 06:03 PM
My windscreen is an old folding card table, or two, depending on how cold and how windy, I just lay them on their side, with legs opened, and arrange them to block the wind.
Actually this is also my wind screen for my smoker, turkey fryer and oil-less turkey fryer/roaster.
No plans required and they can double as a table.
Gary

MrWolf
07-23-2015, 06:53 PM
I converted a Weber grill to a smelting station and just wrap the outside with a welding blanket. Serves double duty if I ever need it.

SeabeeMan
07-23-2015, 07:37 PM
I might be overthinking this windscreen thing. It isn't like I can't add it later.

lightman
07-23-2015, 08:01 PM
The pot sounds like a good idea and not trusting those legs is good thinking. Can you remove the burner and incorporate in into the new legs on the pot. Please post pics when you get it finished.

ryan28
07-23-2015, 08:21 PM
I cut down a paint can to fit around the burner, and sized to the pot I use. Before this, I am sure half the heat went around the pot.

SeabeeMan
07-23-2015, 08:35 PM
I like both of those ideas. There will be plenty of pics and I'll post a full build thread.

Chill Wills
07-24-2015, 12:30 AM
I might be overthinking this windscreen thing. It isn't like I can't add it later.

I think you are right about wanting to keep the heat in. I found I used much less fuel and had faster melt times with a 360 degree windscreen.
I often melt batches in the winter - often outside temperatures are 0 -32F
Also, it goes with out saying you are on the right track supporting the pot with strongest base you can reasonable come up with.

This is what I did for not much $$$$ and what material I had around.

I built an iron stand from odds and ends. The windscreen is from a Brinkmann smoker. It allows some air around the outside of the pot, otherwise the burner won't operate correctly. Not enough air. I turned up some hubs and bent up a bail out of 1/4 coldroll and added a pour tab so I can empty the last bit of metal with a vicegrip on the tab.
It will do 200 lbs or a bit more with out it getting too full.

SeabeeMan
07-24-2015, 08:36 AM
Chill, I have some 14ga sheet that I might be able to "roll" around the pot by hand before welding the legs on. I'm going to check out my fryer this morning and if I can get the burner out and mount it under the pot, that I won't even need to worry about getting the height right. I'll just need to have it tall enough so the trough from the valve allows the mold to sit on a cinder block or something similar.