PDA

View Full Version : barrel bedding tools, availability

Czech_too
07-23-2015, 07:28 AM
I've had an order in w/Brownell's for a barrel bedding tool for a few months now. It was out of stock when ordered w/backorders accepted. Now it's still out w/o backorders.

Sure, I could make a call but right now I would like to find out who else handles this type of item. I don't see it listed at TOW, Dixie or the Log Cabin. Pecatonica is out as are Stone Creek Outfitters. I don't have a Dixon's catalogue.

I gotta itch and I can't scratch it.

Brian

Tatume
07-23-2015, 08:37 AM
You can make your own by grinding the end of a hacksaw blade. It will be slower and require more effort, but you can probably finish the job before the back-ordered tool ships to you.

oldracer
07-23-2015, 09:29 AM
You might want to give Gunline.com a try. I bought a 3 bladed hex barrel channel scraper with handle and it works great. When I made a Gibbs type of stock I used a router and cutter to get 75% or so of the wood removed first. Then used the scraper. I have also made the single blade ones from furniture scrapers and they work well as their steel is hard. It appears to me that a nice crisp 90 edge where scraping is the ticket?

KCSO
07-23-2015, 09:30 AM
You can take a spade drill and make your own. The sizes are there you just need to grind , heat, bend and sharpen them. I have made a whole set of these from 13/16 to 1 1/8" and they work just as good as the store bought ones. I buy old spade drills at yard sales and convert them to inletting chisels and scrapers. I usuall quench in salt water and then put them in the oven for an hur at 450.