PDA

View Full Version : Powder measure weights

SeabeeMan
07-22-2015, 09:45 PM
I just saw a guy on ebay making powder measure weights. Basically two aluminum discs separated by a brass rod that you set on top of the powder to add consistent weight. Does any body use these?

I imagine that they wouldn't completely solve a pretty minor problem. You'd still have a different weight on top of the powder charge from start to finish, although the difference between starting weight/pressure and ending wouldn't have the same spread, so your charges would theoretically be more consistent.

country gent
07-22-2015, 10:12 PM
The dillon low powder sensor acts in this manner as a second ary effect. It might help with some powdersAs long as it floats on top of the powder and dosnt work below it try it and see. Baffles also do a nice job of smoothing out hopper variations.

waltherboy4040
07-22-2015, 11:13 PM
I believe redding used to make these, never used one but it looks interesting.

Mk42gunner
07-23-2015, 12:17 AM
I imagine a baffle would allow more consistent volume/ weight from almost any powder measure. Same head pressure, and non-impeded flow of the powder.

Robert

country gent
07-23-2015, 12:34 AM
In reality the Hopper weight variance wont change by adding a weight to it it will just be in a diffrent range

Gofaaast
07-23-2015, 12:51 AM
I would stick with a baffle. The lower your powder column becomes the less weight it will have and the charges will be less. With a heavy weight on top, it just lowers the percentage some.

str8wal
07-23-2015, 11:16 AM
I just keep my powder measures at least 2/3 full. I think the little knocker on my 55's does more for consistancy than adding weight to the top of the column would. You could still have some bridging even with the added weight, perhaps even more.