PDA

View Full Version : Somebody finally made a 44mag rifle with the right twist rate!

MBTcustom
07-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Chiappa of all companies has done what american manufacturers have failed (and continue failing) to produce: a lever gun in 44 magnum with a twist rate proper for conical bullets!
Check this out:
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2451

waco
07-22-2015, 05:28 PM
That is pretty cool. I'm still not sure about the large loops on levers though. I guess kinda handy if your wearing gloves. Looks like a very durable rifle. I like that it's a take down and comes with good sights!

2ndAmendmentNut
07-22-2015, 05:40 PM
How are Chiappas in general as far as quality is concerned? Are they a faithful copy of the original Winchester design? Or do they have silly modern safeties like rebounding hammers, cross bolt safeties, tang safeties, etc.?

MBTcustom
07-22-2015, 05:55 PM
No idea. I've not had one come through the shop yet, but with a price tag like that, and with the correct twist rate, it sure looks like somebody was paying attention.

waco
07-22-2015, 06:40 PM
No idea. I've not had one come through the shop yet, but with a price tag like that, and with the correct twist rate, it sure looks like somebody was paying attention.

I didn't catch the price. What was it?

dragon813gt
07-22-2015, 06:50 PM
That is one ugly loop. I can't grow to like them. They always look bad to me.

MBTcustom
07-22-2015, 07:06 PM
They make quite a few models including the mares leg, trapper, and traditional styles.
Looks to me like they're going for about $1000.

Hannibal
07-22-2015, 07:13 PM
I'd like to try something with a large loop. I have a Henry, a Browning BLR and a model 94 and I'm uncomfortable shooting all of them because of the loop sizes. But I've got scoop shovels for hands. Have to try a big loop some day.

missionary5155
07-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Greetings
Was looking at the whole rifle list and they have good twist rates on all those barrels. The 45 Colt is 1-15. That will stabilize a monster boolit at easy to reach velocity.
Mike in Peru

kens
07-22-2015, 07:30 PM
What are those Skinner sights?
Most makers install crappy iron sights, though. Maybe these are a decent iron sights.

MBTcustom
07-22-2015, 08:41 PM
Skinner sights are purported to be excellent quality semi-ghost ring style peep sights, and while I have not used them yet, I have installed them on several rifles and they seem excellent.

I have built quite a few leverguns for people with the big loop. If you like to shoot fast, the big loop is a big plus. It doesn't bite your hand as badly as the standard pistolgrip loop, and the square cowboy style loop will absolutely build you some calluses on the back of your fingers!
All things considered, I like the cowboy style best because I learned to shoot it with only my middle and ring fingers. Laying my thumb next to the hammer, I can make you think that sucker is semi auto.
My next choice is the big loop, but after getting trained up on the square cowboy style, it seems like you have to jump a mile to hit it. I see the loop on these Chiappa leverguns as something that might be the perfect compromise, and I'm anxious to try one of them.

dragon813gt
07-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Skinners are excellent if you don't mind their compromises. I personally love them. If it was a Skinner style it would be on the receiver and not the barrel. I have a barrel mount Skinner on one of my 99s. Actually you installed it Tim :)
It works but not nearly as well as the receiver mounted variants.

rondog
07-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Is Chiappa associated with HiPoint somehow? Seems I read that.....

MBTcustom
07-22-2015, 09:01 PM
Is Chiappa associated with HiPoint somehow? Seems I read that.....

Not that I know of. Hi-point is USA and Chiappa is Turkish IIRC.

I mean obviously, if Chiappa was affiliated in any way shape or form with an American manufacturer, they would have stupid 1-38 twist on their barrels. The fact that it's built for accuracy at ranges further than 75 yards is a dead giveaway that it's European. (Zing!!!!)

shoot-n-lead
07-22-2015, 09:35 PM
Looks good...but they ain't never made a lever gun that I will pay $1000 for...

Uncle R.
07-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Looks good...but they ain't never made a lever gun that I will pay $1000 for...

Dang - I was just cruising their web site and they sure have some beautiful product pictures.
I have no experience with Chiappa at all. I'd love to hear reports of their quality and accuracy from discerning shooters.
A thousand dollars ain't all that much money any more and for a faithful reproduction of an 1892 with high quality and beautiful fit and finish a grand would be a very good price. The question is, how good are Chiappa rifles?

Uncle R.

MBTcustom
07-22-2015, 11:26 PM
Based on what I've seen of their handguns, I'd take a chance.

MT Chambers
07-22-2015, 11:58 PM
I think we're over thinking this, my Marlin shoots all the heavy weight .44s very well and I'd take it over the chiquita, and at half the price, weren't they the ones making single shots, with soft steels??

Gofaaast
07-23-2015, 01:07 AM
Oh if they only had one in 41 Mag

Hickory
07-23-2015, 04:57 AM
That lever loop sure is ugly.
But, I can see the the value and the practical application of the design.
This doesn't mean I like it or the looks of it.

With the large "triangled loop" a hunter with heavy gloves or mittens can easily slide his hand inside the loop, and moving his hand foreword, taking out any sloppy hand movement inside of the loop that would slow down the working of the lever for follow up shots.
What an ugly lever!

Ola
07-23-2015, 05:30 AM
I have seen and shot quite many Chiappas. My personal opinion is that they are quite pretty but not for the serious shooter. For some one who shoots couple of hundred rounds a year they are OK. They just lack the "feeling of quality" that is found in solid guns.

DR Owl Creek
07-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Other than the big loop, I'd say that's really cool.

Chiappa is marketed by the company in Dayton, Ohio, that makes the Hi-Point carbines. The Hi-Point handguns are made in Mansfield, Ohio.

Dave

Dryball
07-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Chiappa is an Italian company...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiappa_Firearms

I can not speak for the rifles they make but I do have a 6 inch Rhino and love it. Its accurate and a pleasure to shoot. http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/729
"Back in the day" they made Pumas. I have an early advertisement poster with Chuck Connors sporting his rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those rifles...if I had the money. The Italians are known for the quality of their bores and rifling. Having had several I can attest to the smoothness, bore dimensions and accuracy.

Clay M
07-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Their 86's look interesting too.
Thanks for posting. I bet my local dealer won't get any in. They will have to be special ordered, which means a commitment to buy.

bbailey7821
07-23-2015, 03:14 PM
Looks really interesting, but it sure is pricey and nobody has one that I can find!

Patrick56
07-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Not that I know of. Hi-point is USA and Chiappa is Turkish IIRC.

I mean obviously, if Chiappa was affiliated in any way shape or form with an American manufacturer, they would have stupid 1-38 twist on their barrels. The fact that it's built for accuracy at ranges further than 75 yards is a dead giveaway that it's European. (Zing!!!!)
Chiappa guns are made by Kimar in the northern part of Italy.

Clay M
07-23-2015, 07:05 PM
My X brother in law took a stainless Marlin .44 mag and rebarreled it with a Douglas barrel .
It has the correct chamber and twist. I am not sure how much he has in the gun ,but I doubt it is much more than $1000.

MBTcustom
07-23-2015, 10:46 PM
Chiappa guns are made by Kimar in the northern part of Italy.
My bad, I was thinking of Stoeger.

sthwestvictoria
07-24-2015, 05:47 AM
They look good in terms of specifications. The rifle's furniture sounds unique:

lThe stock and forend are made of wood with overmolded rubber “softouch” finish, the comfortable butt stock is made of anti-shock rubber.

JesterGrin_1
07-26-2015, 08:47 AM
I learned to shoot it with only my middle and ring fingers. Laying my thumb next to the hammer, I can make you think that sucker is semi auto.

I thought I was the only one that does this lol. But I use my Middle Finger mainly. I started with the Marlin 1894SS in .44 Mag. But since thank goodness I no longer have that rifle I mainly due this with my JM Marlin 1895 GS in 45-70. Not for Speed just comfort.

I will however say that unless one has done some work on there Marlin it maybe hard to work the action with a whole hand much less one finger lol.

But I do agree with a couple of others. That before spending this kind of money on a Winchester style rifle with its drawbacks I would have a Marlin reworked to what I want it to be first. Sure it might cost about the same money or a little more than the Chiappa but in the end you will have a Marlin with what I consider a much friendlier action.