PDA

View Full Version : New Grips Ruger Flattop

Ickisrulz
07-22-2015, 04:16 PM
I just got some nice Maple Burl grips for my 45 Ruger Flattop. They fit tight and are wider than the factory ones. If the procurement process was less painful...I'd get some more.145149

Beagle333
07-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Nice!

Char-Gar
07-22-2015, 04:31 PM
I put some Mesquite grips on my 45 Flattop.

Ickisrulz
07-22-2015, 04:36 PM
I put some Mesquite grips on my 45 Flattop.

I seriously thought about Mesquite and a few other woods. But, I left the final decision to my wife and kids as this was a B-day present.

Four-Sixty
07-23-2015, 08:06 AM
Do tell where these wider grips come from! I have XL hands and would not mind trying a larger grip.

Ickisrulz
07-23-2015, 08:26 AM
Do tell where these wider grips come from! I have XL hands and would not mind trying a larger grip.

Private's Custom Grips. I will vouch for the workmanship and the price is the best around. But, 4-8 weeks turned into 13 and communication was not great, not that we were harassing him in anyway.

Char-Gar
07-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Private's Custom Grips. I will vouch for the workmanship and the price is the best around. But, 4-8 weeks turned into 13 and communication was not great, not that we were harassing him in anyway.

I believe the guys name is Craig Cary and is well known for his Ruger grips. He made the mesquite grips for me above. He is kind of a curmudgeon, and that has brought him into conflict with some folks. I found him to be easy to work with, but just picked out the wood, sent him my grip frame and forgot about it. In due time everything showed up and the work is first rate. I don't recall how long it took it to do it.

Ickisrulz
07-23-2015, 10:18 AM
I believe the guys name is Craig Cary and is well known for his Ruger grips. He made the mesquite grips for me above. He is kind of a curmudgeon, and that has brought him into conflict with some folks. I found him to be easy to work with, but just picked out the wood, sent him my grip frame and forgot about it. In due time everything showed up and the work is first rate. I don't recall how long it took it to do it.

This guy's name is Carl Schultz. We took him at what his website said as far as time frame. I wasn't imposing my expectations or rushing him in anyway. The work was great and a good price and I am satisfied with that.

nicholst55
07-23-2015, 10:33 AM

I believe you're thinking of CLC Custom Grips. He is currently not accepting orders, but expects to resume work eventually. I have a very nice set of spalted maple grips from Carl Schultz, and I really like them. They take a lot of the discomfort out of trying to be like John Linebaugh (or Elmer Keith), if you get the drift.

John Allen
07-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Those are some nice grips. The figuring in the wood is really nice.

Char-Gar
07-23-2015, 11:43 AM
This guy's name is Carl Schultz. We took him at what his website said as far as time frame. I wasn't imposing my expectations or rushing him in anyway. The work was great and a good price and I am satisfied with that.

Thanks for the info. I sit corrected.

Blackwater
07-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Wow! Great grips, guys! I've been looking for some replacement grips for my two Flat Tops, and want a larger girth at top to better fit my hands. Thanks for the refs on those two makers. Part of me wants to make them myself, but I have way too many projects already, and I'm slower now at completing them. I was a bit shocked at the prices of the CLC grips, but don't feel it's really too high, really. First class work just doesn't come at bargain prices. Again, thanks for the refs and pics. Looks like they're just what I've been looking for, curly maple and all.

DuckHunterJon
07-26-2015, 10:01 PM
Both look great but tl I'm a sucker for burl!