PDA

View Full Version : Alloy masters.. A question

Knarley
07-22-2015, 03:28 PM
I have Stereo type, pure lead and wheel weights.
What kind of "Blend" would be suitable for BPCR using the stereo type?
I usually shoot WW for cowboy action, and 20-1 for BPCR.
Would I be better off mixing the stereo type with the lead for cowboy shooting?
Don't know why I bought the stereo type, just a weak moment I guess.

Thanks,
Knarley

bangerjim
07-22-2015, 05:00 PM
I have Stereo type, pure lead and wheel weights.
What kind of "Blend" would be suitable for BPCR using the stereo type?
I usually shoot WW for cowboy action, and 20-1 for BPCR.
Would I be better off mixing the stereo type with the lead for cowboy shooting?
Don't know why I bought the stereo type, just a weak moment I guess.

Thanks,
Knarley

Get the free alloy calculator spreadsheet on here. You can plug in your ideas and play with the mixes to come up with the hardness you need.

Stereo - a little goes a long way. I mix most of my alloys from the several alloys I have for 12Bhn air cooled and then powder coat.

banger

RogerDat
07-22-2015, 05:14 PM
I thought BPC shooting was almost always a Pb/Sn cast, just as it was back in the day. Don't do it but that is what I thought I understood.

The world famous alloy calculator (download from sticky this forum) shows 4 parts Pb to 1 part Stereo yields 1.2/2.8/96 or essentially WW's with 1.2% tin. BHN of approx. 11.5 going 3:1 mix gets it to 1.5/3.5/95 which should be very nice alloy with approx. 12.3 BHN.

1.3:1 yields very close to Hardball at 2.6/6/91.3 BHN of around 15 -16.

I'll toss out what I tend to do with printers lead using WW's and solder.
1.2# 40/60 solder 3.5# stereotype and 10# COWW's you have 5/5.3/89.4 with BHN of ~15 and that is pretty close to Lyman #2 alloy.

However not sure what makes a good boolit for cowboy action but since you mentioned WW's I figure one of those first ones that are pretty close to WW's with some tin to aid fill out would be nice.

Knarley
07-22-2015, 05:35 PM
The spread sheet doesn't mention "Stereo type" that I saw.
I guess with lead it would make it suitable for C.A.S.
It's harder than linotype, so softening it up won't pose a problem. I have been running a "Gorilla" alloy with WW and lead for cowboy shooting anyway.
For the BCPR 20-1 lead/tin is what I'll stick with.

Knarley

RogerDat
07-22-2015, 05:43 PM
I don't have the latest version but in mine it is line 30 dead middle of the printers lead section. It is one word "Stereotype" rather than two "Stereo type" which might make it a bit harder to spot.

Knarley
07-22-2015, 05:57 PM
I' have to go back and give that thread a good going over anyway, some times I'm not too observant. I'm gonna have to read the part about pewter too.

Thanks,
Knarley

bangerjim
07-22-2015, 06:05 PM
Stereo is right in the middle of the sheet. I use it all the time!

banger

LAGS
07-22-2015, 06:25 PM
If you dont want to look it up Stereotype is 6% Tin, 14% antimony and 80% lead

Lloyd Smale
07-29-2015, 07:48 AM
how much stereo do you have id be willing to do a two to one trade for some pure if you don't have a use for it. Pm me if your interested