PDA

View Full Version : Thread pitch / diameter question

wmitty
07-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Are the thread pitch and diameter the same for a Remington 700 action and Weatherby Mk V action? I show the Remington being 1-1/16" x 16 t.p.i. and the Weatherby being 1.060" x 16 t.p.i. with the tenon length being slightly longer on the Remington. Reason I'm asking is there's a Mk V barrel on Evil bay chambered in .378 Wby with a muzzle brake which belongs on an anti-tank cannon. I was wondering if the tenon length could be increased and the barrel fitted to a 700 action. I realize the bolt face would require modifying and it would be a single shot, but for a long range rifle it might be fun.

pietro
07-22-2015, 02:24 PM

IIRC, even the Remington 700 long action is still too short to handle (load/extract) a cartridge as long as the .378 Weatherby. (the bolt would have to be removed each time it's loaded and/or emptied)

oneokie
07-22-2015, 06:02 PM
1/16 inch is 0.0625", so you could have a very loose fit.

country gent
07-22-2015, 08:43 PM
I have seen several of these conversions ( loaded round to long to eject but not the case). If the empty can be extracted its not as bad but ant cease fore after rifle is loaded the bolt has to be pulled and ejector tension makes this rough with the round in place. Theres alot of things to check out and decide before starting on this endevour.

Ballistics in Scotland
07-25-2015, 01:29 PM
There is every chance that those threads are taken from measuring actual barrels, and are different ways of describing the same thread. There is nothing very odd or harmful about a thread being truncated by two or three thousandths at the crests, for it is the flanks that need to make contact. It can be done deliberately, to make sure that that is the case, as crest and root contact alone is liable to loosen up.

Short of a proper thread micrometer, the best way for the machinist to match or compare threads is by taking a micrometer reading over three wires of constant thickness. Two must be in the threads on one side, one on the other, and their diameter has to be such that they rest on the threads but stand proud of the crests. It gives a comparative measurement for objects you have, not a figure suitable for specifying anything.

Artful
07-25-2015, 03:29 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?16221-Rifle-barrel-and-action-dimensions-list-info-needed

Rem 700 1 1/16”x16 1.0625x16
vs
Weatherby mk V 1.06x16