PDA

View Full Version : Lee RGB set that is perfectly wrong.

Harter66
07-21-2015, 03:59 PM
A friend once told me I was the American icon . Life gave me lemons and a load of manure and I'd trade the manure for sugar make lemonade, plant and orchard ,and complain about the sunshine till the trees had me picking fruit in the shade.

I aquired an AR in 223 . I had a mould for an old 222 and a 225 sizer so all I needed was a set of 223 dies and really just a sizer as a couple of yrs ago I had unstuck a 223 seating die in a Lee turret for a a fellow who gave me the die for my trouble. (It came right out with a 24"pipe wrench and a 15"Crescent) . Being a naturally inclined titewad I bought the Lee RGB set ,I already have 2 case holders and the scoop for the 222 . As my luck runs ,I get fat/heavy Lee moulds, the expander/unbreakable decapper rod is out of spec and I think maybe the neck in the die is fat , it leaves the neck ID at .221 which my Herter's neck reamer case trimmer barely scuffs inside . Which is great since I have no intention of loading jacketed. The coolest thing about Lee seating dies is that floating nose bushing, flip it over and it's a flat nose seater . Which I did and it woks great but there's a burr or rough cut or something going on with the crimp shoulder inside the die it'll crush a case before it'll flatten out the flare . This is actually a good thing it made me use the RCBS spare to apply a just noticed crimp and flatten the flare out .
sure I could lap the die or send it back but I'd have almost what I paid for the set in it again and I shouldn't seat and crimp at the same time anyway .

Long story short I bought a set of out of spec dies for a really low price and they are nearly perfect for the intended use. Yep some days ya get to make lemonade all day long.

stubbicatt
07-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Great inspiration! All hail the American Icon! I've heard it said that everything happens exactly as it is meant to happen, and cannot happen any other way. :)

bedbugbilly
07-21-2015, 06:20 PM
LOL - enjoyed your adventure! What can be said other than some folks just get "lucky"? :-) As they say, "If you get a lemon, make lemonade". Just think how lousy it would have been if you'd gotten a set of dies "in spec"!

Thanks for the smile and chuckle . . just glad it all worked out for you!

Jim

Bzcraig
07-21-2015, 10:19 PM
I wish I could have that attitude all the time.

Harter66
07-21-2015, 11:23 PM
Believe me, I wasn't really very sunshiny when I crumpled that shoulder . Fortunately the chamber is full enough to take the shoulder bulge and there is enough bolt energy to hammer it home.
The fat rod is actually a real boon ,it saves me about an hour cutting out a new 1 to get it just a little bigger.

It's reflective I think . I also think I'd have worse feelings about this if the loads hadn't come together or I hadn't had the RCBS seater or had gotten the more expensive set or even a bad die from a better grade . If I were just starting out and every dime was a big deal I'd probably have lost my mind over something like this as it is its a minor inconvenience.

Motor
07-21-2015, 11:54 PM
What are you using create the mouth flair?

Seating and crimping in one step should not be a problem. The entire process of rolling the case mouth closed happens in about half the width of a typical crimp groove.

Mk42gunner
07-22-2015, 12:37 AM
This story reminds me of why I don't get rid of unnecessary dies, there may come a time when I need that one oddball.

Robert

Harter66
07-22-2015, 08:18 AM
Motor
I use a 20 mm projectile with a stem in my drill press . Crude but effective and fast. It was drilled and tapped for 1/4-28 I added a bolt and jam nut the depth of the chuck on the drill press. I run the press when I do 1st prep and after trimming to polish the chamfer . I will probably make up a rod for the RCBS universal decapper to flare the cases at some point but with several 100 s ready to go now it will be a while.

orbitalair
07-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Trade someone who got a 'newer' RGB set, the one where they no longer put the crimp in the bullet seat die (i.e. dead length bullet seater).

Lee is just TRYING to piss me off, they don't sell anything that seats and roll crimps, got to buy the extra crimp die.
But the Lee crimp is a taper crimp, not a roll crimp....ugh.

Harter66
07-23-2015, 11:09 PM
Orbit ,
This is a brand new set from Titian. The point of the post was that in spite of it being not quite right it is almost perfect for the need . If I need it to be right for jackets I have a 222 set to steal the expander out of or just leave it out all together.