PDA

View Full Version : What is your nose size?

260 Striker
07-21-2015, 11:04 AM
I was going to try some NOE 269 145 grain FN bullets sized .265 in my 260 Remington Savage Striker but the bullets are waaaaay tooooo long. About 2/3s of the bullet would be below the neck. Guess that mould will have to go!!! I am now waiting on a RCBS 6.5-140-SILH mould and plan to use a .257 H&I to just round out the noses since this bullet appears to be a bore rider like my other RCBS 7mm moulds. I was just wondering if anyone here has cast with the RCBS 6.5 SILH mould and can tell me what the nose diameter is on their as cast bullets. I will be using linotype so mine will be a little larger than with WW. Just wanted to know if nose sizing these 6.5s to .257 will work as well as my .277 nose sized RCBS 7mm bullets do in my 7TCU and 7INT. My Savage Striker is extremely accurate with jacketed bullet and would like to find a good cast bullet for it. Thanks for any info you can provide.

UPDATE 7-22 FYI Got my RCBS 6.5 SILH mould today and cast up some bullets out of straight linotype. Checked nose size on barely cooled bullets and they miked .257 or maybe 1/2 thou over. Sized the nose in my .257 H&I to basically clean up the parting line and they are a snug fit in my 260 Remington bore. Figured out a seating depth for my Striker and the base of the bullet will be about 1/8" below the neck/shoulder junction which I can live with. Nice blocks and produces bore rider bullets just like the RCBS 7mm blocks.

runfiverun
07-21-2015, 04:01 PM
your nose size is .001 over your bore size.
shrug.
it could be 265 299 315 whatever.
that's how a bore ride boolit works.

Yodogsandman
07-21-2015, 05:23 PM
You might want to do a chamber pound slug first to see what you're nose size really needs to be. Here's how it's done...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?218414-FYI-This-is-how-I-do-a-pound-cast

260 Striker
07-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Sorry guys but I may have mislead you and didn't give you enough info. I took several .257 jacketed bullets and slide them into the bore of my Striker. Just a slight fit (didn't want to force them) so I know my bore diameter will be either .257 or .258. I'm really trying to find someone who has cast with the RCBS 6.5 SILH mould to see what the nose size of the bullets were when they dropped out of the mould. I know my mix will be different but just trying to get a ball park idea if nose sizing the new bullet will work as well as nose sizing my RCBS 7mm bullet noses to .277. Nose sizing will basically just clean up the parting line if I cast good bullets. I'm not scientific like many on this forum so I took the shortcut of the slip fit with .257 jacketed bullets instead of actually slugging my barrel. Mould should be here this week so I will be getting my final answer soon when I cast some bullets. Thanks for the input and suggestions.