PDA

View Full Version : 357 magnum BP cartridge starting point?

stubbicatt
07-21-2015, 07:58 AM
Guys, I intend to load up a few BP cartridges to try out in my Uberti replica 1873, using a 160 grain Lyman RNFP boolit, and Goex 3f. About how much compression do you reckon I should use?

I just have to try it... One day I may look back on this experiment and realize what folly, but until then, Press On Regardless!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Stubb.

Knarley
07-21-2015, 09:12 AM
I'd start at about 1/8" You will also need some good lube on them, SPG is what I use.

Folly? There isn't any thing much better than a giant cloud of smoke, and the posse gagging. Hehehehe :bigsmyl2:

"You can't tell me you SAW that miss". Hehehehe It's a hoot!! More and more people ARE shooting "Smoke powder" in cowboy action for that reason.

Knarley

oldred
07-21-2015, 10:31 AM
I agree no folly here and I have tried 357 magnum with FFFG and 158 gr, it works! Just for grins&giggles I thought it might be fun to load up some and shoot them in a Ruger Security Six, these things just feel right and are dead on accurate. The cylinder started feeling a bit gritty after about a dozen rounds but a quick wiping took care of that, don't know what the velocity was and don't really care because they were fun to shoot and hit where I aimed the darn thing.

Lumpy grits
07-21-2015, 11:02 AM
Sure hope you NOT use'n smokeless bullet lube in BP loads.
LG

stubbicatt
07-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Nah. These are hand cast Lyman slugs lubed with my black powder lube. I love that bullet because it has a really fat grease groove. Lube works well with smokeless powder too.

You fellas use wads in handgun ammo? I was intending to just seat a bullet and let it do the compression, unless you tell me otherwise. So, about .125" compression ought to do the trick?

w30wcf
07-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Stubb,
The original .38 Special B.P. cartridge was loaded with 21.5 grs. of FFFG so that was the amount that I have used in .357 Magnum brass and it worked well ...... giving some of the best groups that my Marlin Cowboy has ever made. :)

A couple of things...
Settle the powder by dumping it slowly through the powder funnel OR holding the loaded case in your hand, tap the side several times with the nose of the bullet, then seat it.

With standard Goex, your barrel will most likely foul out (hard ring of fouling building at the muzzle extending inward) in a dozen rounds with accuracy going southward.....

With Swiss or Olde Enysford, many rounds can be fired with no foul out.

Have fun!
w300wcf

superc
12-28-2015, 02:21 PM
At some point, shooting black powder in your Security or Service Six you will probably want to disassemble the cylinder and crane and get the fouling off the insides of them.
Especially if yours is one of the older blued steel versions. BP fouling can be corrosive and it loves crevices.
The Kuhnhausen series has a book on the Rugers and shows how to take the cranes apart.