PDA

View Full Version : Lead Fouling in 92 Winchester

terryt
07-21-2015, 12:05 AM
I bought a Model 92 Winchester in 32/20. The rifle was madein 1901. The rifling is shape and I cannot see any pitting.

I went to the range and shoot 50 rds. Of new Winchesterfactory ammo. It is the 100 grain lead bullet.

When I went to clean it there was a lot of lead fouling.

After I bought the rifle and before I went to shoot it I didnot check to see if the bore had lead fouling.

I bought it real cheap and was in a hurry to shoot it.

I have tried cleaning it with Hoppe’s #9 and a different cleanerthat is made for lead fouling and so far I still have the patches coming outwith lead on them. I ran a wet patch down the bore and let it set for a day andtried again and there is still lead fouling. After many patches it still comesout with the patch gray in color.

Any ideals as to how to get the lead out?

Thanks,

Terryt

OD#3
07-21-2015, 12:43 AM
I wrap this stuff http://www.big45.com/ around a smaller brush and scrub the bore with it. It doesn't take much scrubbing with this to get the lead out. I also use this stuff to rub away rust. It is an alloy containing a lot of monel, and its claim to fame is that it will not scratch bluing. I can attest to that, and I keep a lot of this on hand anymore.

Char-Gar
07-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Wrap a bronze brush with 0000 steel wool, add some good solvent and the lead will come out easy. No, the very fine steel wool will not damage the barrel in any way.

huntrick64
07-21-2015, 11:25 AM
Chore-Boy wrapped on a smaller brush + a little elbow grease. Your only problem could be the presence of lead to begin with, which would just grab more lead as the boolit goes by. If you start with no lead and then develop lead, then you know it is your problem to fix.

lobogunleather
07-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Second on the 0000 steel wool wrapped around a worn bore brush, but I use it dry (no solvent). Cuts the leading out nicely with no damage to bore or rifling. Follow up with a normal cleaning with bore solvent and patches.

This is the method I was taught while on temporary assignment at a US Army post armory cleaning firearms used in training thousands of troops every week (pistols, rifles, machineguns, etc, both US and foreign, all kinds of ammunition). 0000 steel wool is very fine, it polishes rather than abrades, and will remove even the toughest bore fouling from steel jackets, copper jackets, horribly dirty powders, and corrosive primers.

northmn
07-21-2015, 02:21 PM
A old trick that has hair on it is to wrap a brush with the copper strands from a pan scrubber as mentioned and force it through a few times with solvent. Leading is generally caused by an undersized bullet so a barrel slug would be in order. I have lots of lead through my 32-20 with no problem but cast my own and treat them with Lee Liquid ALox.

DP

tdoyka
07-21-2015, 03:20 PM
the bronze brush with steel wool works, but i would try gunslicks foaming bore cleaner. it takes awhile to do, but the barrel comes out clean as a whistle.

terryt
07-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Hi:

Thanks every one.

Terryt

pietro
07-21-2015, 09:33 PM

My shooting/hunting partner & I invested in an Outer's Foul-Out Cleaning System, several years ago - which removes leading with little effort.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/243419/outers-foul-out-3-bore-cleaning-system

The process involves temporarily plugging the barrel at one end (I usually plug the chamber end), pouring the cleaning solution downbore, then inserting/plugging the unit to 110V overnite.

GooseGestapo
07-24-2015, 04:53 AM
Probably not the bore. That Winchester ammo has swagged bullets with little lube on them. They're know for leading badly.
A decent cast bullet, sized to .314" will likely not lead the barrel.
I too have used the 0000 steel wool on a bore brush to remove bad leading.

missionary5155
07-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Greetings
Goose has some good advice. Those old Winchesters had some fat groove and throats due to the need to chamber follow up rounds using BP. Smokeless will not bump up those little light weight bullets to good effect so the poor under diameter beans go rattling down the barrel.
So yes clean out the barrel and be sure to get all the "jacket material". Then find out the groove diameter at the chamber area where they are always the fattest. Do not be surprised to find diameters as big as .315. .312 diameter is common on the older barrels. Then get a mold that will be .001 over diameter for smokeless. You can use the same mold for BP with 40-1 or whatever soft mix you choose. I refuse to use more tin than I absolutely must use. If you want to find out what that barrel really will do load 5 rounds with the proper diameter 40-1 115 grain bullet with a case full of 3F and with a good rest fire a 25 yard target. Then try to beat that with smoke less powder.
Mike in Peru

terryt
07-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the added info.

Terryt

bob208
07-27-2015, 10:31 PM
I would not use any abrasive like steel wool in a barrel. I use the old g.i. bore cleaner. or a tornado brush. yes it is the ammo that did it. I bought a nice .32-20 that the guy thought was shot out after he ran a box of lead bullets through it.

Maximumbob54
07-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Solid pure copper Chore Boy is the greatest tip any lead bullet shooting gun owner will ever learn.